Newly rooted 9742...now what?

taledus

Jul 26, 2012
I ran into some problems with this. The tutorials for rooting this are pretty straight foreward, but I was very confused when it actually came down to fixing the inversion error just so that I could fix the camera. The main reason I wanted to root is I am fairly new to owning a tablet...after seeing all the stuff applications require permissions for I wanted to install PermissionsPro to see if I couldn't stop some of them from happening. However it seems after much effort to go through this process I had to allow all permissions and uninstall the PermissionsPro because I kept getting locked up trying to input my password after rebooting...if not there it was when I would go to run any other app.

Atleast I can get to GooglePlay store, but that is the only benefit I see right now without delving in to all the system files to see what all can be modified, or searching for hours for decent apps that are handy when it comes to using this device, which brings me to the point of the post: What tools/apps/modifications are going to be of some use now? I am hoping some of the more technical people here can provide me some sort of clue.

One main thing I would like to do is backup the stuff I have now so that when I run into an issue and need to re-root I can just do it off of the proper ROM file instead of the one with the inverted screen and jacked camera...is there a way I can do this with the files I currently have on my tablet? I'm not sure what I need here, and searching for an answer doesn't help me locate anything very useful.

Next I'd like to find a program that actually works for editing the permissions...there is no reason my wife's angry birds game NEEDS to know my location...

Lastly, if there is some magical way I can call the tablet when my wife is hogging it, and have it send out a shock so she will put it down, that would be great...LMAO

jprusinol

Jul 27, 2012
I ran into some problems with this. The tutorials for rooting this are pretty straight foreward, but I was very confused when it actually came down to fixing the inversion error just so that I could fix the camera. The main reason I wanted to root is I am fairly new to owning a tablet...after seeing all the stuff applications require permissions for I wanted to install PermissionsPro to see if I couldn't stop some of them from happening. However it seems after much effort to go through this process I had to allow all permissions and uninstall the PermissionsPro because I kept getting locked up trying to input my password after rebooting...if not there it was when I would go to run any other app.

Atleast I can get to GooglePlay store, but that is the only benefit I see right now without delving in to all the system files to see what all can be modified, or searching for hours for decent apps that are handy when it comes to using this device, which brings me to the point of the post: What tools/apps/modifications are going to be of some use now? I am hoping some of the more technical people here can provide me some sort of clue.

One main thing I would like to do is backup the stuff I have now so that when I run into an issue and need to re-root I can just do it off of the proper ROM file instead of the one with the inverted screen and jacked camera...is there a way I can do this with the files I currently have on my tablet? I'm not sure what I need here, and searching for an answer doesn't help me locate anything very useful.

Next I'd like to find a program that actually works for editing the permissions...there is no reason my wife's angry birds game NEEDS to know my location...

Lastly, if there is some magical way I can call the tablet when my wife is hogging it, and have it send out a shock so she will put it down, that would be great...LMAO

I apologize for not having answers for your tablet's or wife's serious doubts, haha. Instead, I beg you please to make a huge effort and try to remember the directions for your incredibly successful rooting of your Kyros MID9742. I got to the exact same point as you, (inverted screen and no camera connection) but I just can't go forward. Please, I know when you put up with a problem like this you just want to forget about it, and your brain just deletes it, but I don't know where to go for help. My tablet was 1 day old, and what's worse, it wasn't even mine, I bought it for one of my sons.
Well, I don't wanna make you cry, but HEEELP MEEEE!!!!!

Last edited:

taledus

Jul 26, 2012
Sorry to hear that you ran into the same problem I did and got stuck... Putting the needed files that have been posted on your tablet shouldn't be that difficult, as I only needed to replace 3 of them so I dropped them on the sd card. Grab the zips that have been posted (I do not know the exact locations at this time but should be easy to find on this forum):
"9742_bootloader.zip" - u-boot.bin
"Modules - MID9742.zip" - gt2005.ko & gt801_2plus1.ko

Since I had no clue on how to get the ADB from the Android SDK the biggest problem is trying to use the Root Explorer search to find the file names...a very long process IMO trying to do it inverted and all. But if you are successful and have some patience to fix this right then you will succeed. Once you have found the files through the search (upper right of the Root Explorer, which means you will be pressing the bottom left to access the menu, and the inverted equivalents for the letters) you will have to figure out where to press and hold on the new file names (one at a time) for the menu to pop open and provide the "copy" command...from there you press and hold on the old file until the menu pops open, scroll down to the bottom, and go to parent where you can select/hold the old file for the menu, hit delete, then at the bottom of the screen there will be the paste button. You will have to do this 3 times, one for each of the 3 files on the sd card.

Once the inverted issue is fixed it will be easy to make any other needed changes. I was hoping that someone would let me know how I can make a copy of what I have fixed now for future reference if I have to re-root, but the only thing I have found Uses PDAnet-32bit.zip files and dump_system files (links also available on this forum) but it only creates a "system.tgz" file which is only about 125mb, far from the 217mb cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1 ROM file. Essentially going the long way around seems to be the only way at the moment.

Anyways, if you run into too many issues and no one else can seem to get back with an answer, post on here or send me a pm...I will be on/off frequently tonight to see if you have been successful and/or help with what I can.