[News] $2.2m Worth of Nook Colors Sold on eBay

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
$2.2m Worth of Nook Colors Sold on eBay

A few days ago, we reported that Barnes & Noble had launched a sale on eBay where they were selling the Nook Color eReader for $199 after a $50 coupon. Users were delighted about the offer and many used the coupon instantly. The results have come in and the retailer took in over an estimated $2.2m in sales – shipping 10,960 orders – a number that’s obviously exceeded their earlier estimations. This was over a span of about 2 days; spouting them an excess of $1m/day in sales....
Nice.

There has been loads of new people here in the Nook section the last two days; guess now I know why. :)

Last edited:

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
There has been loads of new people here in the Nook section the last two days; guess now I know why. :)

You "leaders" should work a little extra hard, become a little extra organized, and try to take advantage of this. This is a great (and rare) opportunity for you to really push hard this forum from this segment of the Tablet community to build and grow it.

You KNOW that you're going to start having a lot of "How do I ..." type questions. Start working hard to make clean/polished tutorials available and easily googleable to bring people here. Push really hard over the next 2-4 weeks the Nook Color stuff, and these boards can see an explosion of growth from that segment alone. But if you don't start now, you'll miss this opportunity. If nothing else, I STRONGLY recommend an FAQ forum. I realize you have a thread now, but really, you need a forum. This will really help encourage community participate to write these FAQs for the chance of getting them stickied.

Just my $0.02 worth. :)

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions Jaxidian. You know our best sources of FAQ's and tutorials comes from all of our members, not just the moderators/admins. The Nook Color forums are the largest segment here on androidtablets.net and I don't see that slowing down anytime soon.

If you have a tutorial on how to do something, feel free to post it. I know I would love to see more tutorials and advice from our members.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I like the idea of a FAQ subforum strictly monitered (i.e. not postable) by the mods. The best tutaorials and solutions can be placed in there by mods. Maybe have one open thread for edits, comments, suggestions ect. of the other threads.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Hmm I thought we were doing great around here. How did you think this section has grown so much. Its wasn't that article. My first post was joking on it's subject, this popularity of the NC is not new. I watch every Nook forum I can find and have to say without a doubt we have the best, simplest to understand, most helpful Nook section on the net.

Oh btw, we have faq thread, but like any other forum on the planet, no one reads it. I so much as place the link in my sig so it is listed in every single post I write.

Jaxidian, I applaud your 2 cents, thoughts and ideas but like Vic said, our greatest strength is our forum members and Nook owners.

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
Hmm I thought we were doing great around here [....] like Vic said, our greatest strength is our forum members and Nook owners.

Oh, don't take my comment as anything at all about the quality of these forums or anything. I meant to convey NOTHING about that. All I meant to convey was that you now have about 11,000 potential new members in addition to everything you've already done. It's not like you'll have many other opportunities to get 11,000 new Nook Color owners overnight who will be searching through and joining the forums. I'm sure if you do absolutely nothing, you'll snag quite a few of them. But if you put extra efforts into it, you can probably snag more. That's all I'm saying. Better than great is, well, better, right?

As for your greatest source being your members, that's what was driving my entire point about having community-drive FAQs. Having an FAQ "thread" is one thing but having an FAQ "forum" is totally different, and now much more attractive. As a new NC owner, when I see a single thread with all FAQs in it, I think, "Wow, that's going to be one incredibly complicated thread, maybe I should look elsewhere where I don't have to dig through so much and just find what I'm looking for" but if I see a forum, then I think, "Wow, that's an incredibly complicated forum, but luckily for me, this thread right here is exactly what I'm looking for - I can ignore the rest!". And as for your users, well, when they know how to do something, they can much more easily see if there's already a thread for it than to see if a single thread already contains the info. Plus, you then give the members who write the FAQs the recognition of Stickying one of their posts in a mainstream area of the boards. It provides motivation to participate. :)

Either way, I'm sure these NC boards will be booming even more pretty soon. Just offering my $0.02 for suggestions - in no way criticizing. Clearly, I'm the new guy around these here parts. I'll participate either way, just as long as I don't get banned or anything. Maybe once I'm up to $1, you'll consider that. :p

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
WOW... that is a lot sold in just 2 days.. Sounds like the Sale WORKED>>>
I have one arriving today so I am one of the 10,000+.... I won't be rooting it but will be adding to it for a family member.. I hope I dont' get too frustrated with not being able to use it like I do Mine....

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Oh, don't take my comment as anything at all about the quality of these forums or anything. I meant to convey NOTHING about that. All I meant to convey was that you now have about 11,000 potential new members in addition to everything you've already done. It's not like you'll have many other opportunities to get 11,000 new Nook Color owners overnight who will be searching through and joining the forums. I'm sure if you do absolutely nothing, you'll snag quite a few of them. But if you put extra efforts into it, you can probably snag more. That's all I'm saying. Better than great is, well, better, right?

As for your greatest source being your members, that's what was driving my entire point about having community-drive FAQs. Having an FAQ "thread" is one thing but having an FAQ "forum" is totally different, and now much more attractive. As a new NC owner, when I see a single thread with all FAQs in it, I think, "Wow, that's going to be one incredibly complicated thread, maybe I should look elsewhere where I don't have to dig through so much and just find what I'm looking for" but if I see a forum, then I think, "Wow, that's an incredibly complicated forum, but luckily for me, this thread right here is exactly what I'm looking for - I can ignore the rest!". And as for your users, well, when they know how to do something, they can much more easily see if there's already a thread for it than to see if a single thread already contains the info. Plus, you then give the members who write the FAQs the recognition of Stickying one of their posts in a mainstream area of the boards. It provides motivation to participate. :)

Either way, I'm sure these NC boards will be booming even more pretty soon. Just offering my $0.02 for suggestions - in no way criticizing. Clearly, I'm the new guy around these here parts. I'll participate either way, just as long as I don't get banned or anything. Maybe once I'm up to $1, you'll consider that. :p

Duly noted and although I don't quite agree with your whole point, your idea is ringing loud and clear with some mods. I took no offense by your post, and just gave some background on this section of the forum. We (this section) went from 10-15 threads. no subforums and organization 4 months ago to what you see today.

vico512

Mar 2, 2011
Yep -- I'm one of the Newbies that took advantage of the hot deal and joined-up before the NC even arrives (due Monday). I got in at around 2000+.

I got directed to this forum from a link at droidforums.net. I already took advantage of the Search function to determine, for rooting, just about any vanilla Micro SD card should work OK. A post I saw elsewhere specified that I needed a minimum of a Class 6; another posted that the SDHC cards would not work.

Lots of good (and, apparently, not so good) info floating around out there...

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
for rooting, you certainly don't need a class 6...but you might want it later for other things (watching movies, etc) as the higher class will transfer information quicker.

vico512

Mar 2, 2011
Yeah - understand. For rooting, I plan on just getting a vanilla 2GB. For other stuff, I'll go with a larger capacity & higher class. Class 6 SDs work fine as capture chips in my Pany HVC-HD camcorder, so I can't imagine needing anything faster for the NC.

vico512

Mar 2, 2011
And, after I posted the last comment, I guess I need a reality check...

Once I root the NC, does that same Micro SD need to remain in the tablet or is the info on the chip transferred into the NC? (I know, probably a dumb question...)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
And, after I posted the last comment, I guess I need a reality check...

Once I root the NC, does that same Micro SD need to remain in the tablet or is the info on the chip transferred into the NC? (I know, probably a dumb question...)

Not a dumb question. That modifies the internal files and you *MUST* remove the card you root with or it won't boot to the OS. You can then insert and reformat the card once booted.