News about vtab1008 firmware

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I too am skeptical and will wait until something actually comes out before I get too excited. First why would they be going to Honeycomb when ICS is out now, since HC has plenty of known issues. Second, given the extensive skinning they did to have their own interface what good would HC be if they just make it look iPad like anyway? HC's primary advantage was that it was a tablet OS setup to take advantage of a tablet's size and layout compared to a phone. Vizio's skin sort or makes that a moot point.

Perhaps they would drop their skin for something more HC/Andoird style but it doesn't seem that is really what Vizio is going for with this particular device. So if you get an HC update but it looks like the current Vizio layout and you end up changing to an alternative home launcher that is based on a pre-Honeycomb layout what good is HC?

Hopefully they allow better root access and fix the SD card and adhoc wifi issues in the next update (not likely). These would go a long way to improving the tablet even if it stayed on Gingerbread. Otherwise I am rooting (ha ha) for ICS which seems to bring a whole host of upgrades to the Android OS.

JP

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
Honestly, the only reason I care about Honeycomb is that I understand it has better BT HID support, and I am desperately hoping to finally be able to use my BT laser keyboard with the device. I frankly already worked around the other issues I had with the tablet, this is really the last remaining hurdle to get rid of having to carry around a laptop. If I can't do it with Vizio, I'll probably just buy a wifi pico projector and skip the tablet entirely.

Honestly, I'm really ready to not be tied to hardware screens, I'm just waiting for something truly better to come along.

Seth

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So you haven't been able to get your BT keyboard to work? I haven't tried that on my vtab yet but I don't see why it shouldn't. You might need an app like Blue Keyboard JP to get it going.

Is there a specific issue or error you are running into?

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
The vtab doesn't support bluetooth HID devices. While you can pair one to the vtab, the device isn't actually able to connect. Vizio also posted this on their website. Hopefully they will provide support in the next update.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
The vtab doesn't support bluetooth HID devices. While you can pair one to the vtab, the device isn't actually able to connect. Vizio also posted this on their website. Hopefully they will provide support in the next update.

Exactly the issue. Hopefully the update will resolve this.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

This is something I keep seeing but I''m not convinced. Does anybody know the vtab doesn't support this? I don't mean "vizio says" either. Android 2.3 supports this and although you may need an app like Bluekeyboard JP it should work unless visio specifically went out of their way to block it. I just need to get around to trying it out.

JP