[News] Nook Color 1.2 update released

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
What's new in V1.2.0?

The NOOK Color Ver1.2.0 update contains new features and enhancements, including:
  • Access to shop a broad collection of popular NOOK Apps™ to enjoy great games, stay up to date on news and weather, and more
  • Full-featured free email to check and send web-based email (i.e., Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, AOL) all from one in-box
  • NOOK Color’s update to Android OS 2.2/Froyo offers system improvements, browser performance and a more complete Web experience giving customers access to enjoy even more video, interactive and animated content. NOOK Color now includes support for Adobe® Flash® Player
  • NOOK Kids™ exciting new Read and Play titles that bring animation, activities and stories together
  • NOOK Books Enhanced offer in-page video and audio in a growing number of titles
  • Enhancements to magazine navigation making it easier to enjoy even more of the growing selection of magazines in NOOK Newsstand
  • NOOK Friends™ (beta) to see your friends’ reading activities, swap books with LendMe™, share recommendations and discover new titles

Software Updates - Barnes*&*Noble

:) Finally

Moody Hammer

Feb 20, 2011
Very pleased to see mention of Froyo/2.2 and Flash. I was concerned B&N would add pieces of Froyo and not the complete Froyo update.

Anxiously awaiting the sideload version from the Nook gods.

sholmes

Apr 10, 2011
I posted a few notes in this forum explaining why I thought it would NOT be 2.2. I was wrong.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^
I believe two things may have contributed to those findings:
1. First off, b&n is extremely secretive about their software and updates.
2. The nice contributors at nookdevs don't always have the most accurate of information.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Awesome! I can't wait to downgrade my Phiremod'd NC to this!!!!!!!!! Not ;) But, if we get my daughter one for her birthday, I might leave it stock.. She's 6 and loves our NCs.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I don't know... to me 2.2 and 2.3 are two peas in the same pod. They are closely related, other than some speed and the copy and paste ability on 2.3 is better. None of them are close to Honeycomb. So I'm not sure I'd consider it a downgrade; getting the stock library back will be great. Hopefully we can get a quick root on this update to really have some fun with it.

I've already wiped my NC and flashed back to unrooted 1.0.0. I'm eager to see what b&n has put together. :)

Last edited:

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
Yea!!!! Ok. Now that it's here, what happens when it downloads to a NC with autonooter? Let me know if it does it automaticly or do we have to sideload or do we take it back to stock? I turned mine off last nite and I haven't turned it on today. Will be keeping my eye on this thread. Very excited :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Android Tablet Forum

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
They say both ways, same as all previous update. Which I'm a little surprised, since I didn't think a 2.2 update would be automatic. They must have a built-in backup utility to save your books, settings, etc. while it replaces the operating system.

The ver1.2.0 update is available over the next week as an automatic download that will roll out to NOOK Color customers connected to Wi-Fi®; or to get the software update right now, follow the instructions above for manual download.

If your NOOK Color is registered and has Wi-Fi® connectivity (Wi-Fi® should be turned ON and connected to a hotspot), your device will be updated over the next week.

The process will take 4-5 minutes for a manual download (depending on your Internet connection). You should NOT turn your NOOK Color off while the new software is being downloaded. Once the software update is completed, your NOOK Color will automatically restart and display the Home screen. The software update will preserve your personal settings, including your registered account information, content, display settings, and Wi-Fi® settings

The software will be downloaded to your device in a rolling update over the next week and automatically install when the device is idle. Once the update has been installed, you’ll see a small green ‘n’ on the left side status bar.

sholmes

Apr 10, 2011
Yea!!!! Ok. Now that it's here, what happens when it downloads to a NC with autonooter? Let me know if it does it automaticly or do we have to sideload or do we take it back to stock? I turned mine off last nite and I haven't turned it on today. Will be keeping my eye on this thread. Very excited :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Android Tablet Forum

Someone has tried.. you have to restore to unrooted stock to update. I am going to wait until it can be rooted before trying.

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
Someone has tried.. you have to restore to unrooted stock to update. I am going to wait until it can be rooted before trying.

So after latest Froyo update -

the device can no longer " be rooted " with the current process outlined on various websites?

But Bootable uSD - ROM's should still be usable though - right?

How long do ya think it'll be til there's a new Root Process?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
So after latest Froyo update -

the device can no longer " be rooted " with the current process outlined on various websites?

But Bootable uSD - ROM's should still be usable though - right?

How long do ya think it'll be til there's a new Root Process?

1. correct
2. correct
3. who knows

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Just got home from a quick stop in my local BN. Was in the area so popped in to check out the demo unit with update.

So, its got flash. And the "extras" button now says "apps". The apps drawer had Angry Birds and a couple other new apps, but still very limited. There's a button to get more apps. This opened a "market" of 139 apps. Some I haven't seen or heard of. I did see Pulse. 139? Really? Really.

The Nook expert working the booth said I would eventually get prompted to install update when connected to WiFi, but says it shouldn't be automatic. Happy to hear that it will give me a choice on installing, because from what I saw today, I'm happy to keep my 1.1 Autonooter.

I may have missed or overlooked somethings, because I didn't mess around very long. There were other people waiting. I did however help convince a customer to buy one. Quickly told him about the rooting process :)

Disappointed. But at least its finally here.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum