[News] Nook Color 1.2 update released

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Well I'm updated to software 1.2 and first impressions are: its very smooth and fast at 800mhz, as can be expected. Android 2.2 is faster than 2.1, 2.3 is faster than 2.2 and so on. Same layout as before, bottom left notification area, same bottom nook bar. Stock browser has option for mobile or desktop mode, similar to Opera and Dolphin HD browsers. Flash works very good, with appropriate playback functions. Pinch zoom still works. New area in Settings: Reader - animate ebook page turns. New Nook Friends, Google contacts get downloaded instantly from your account. You can now add app shortcut to home screen. All in all, good start to their android 2.2 software and people that are just not quite up to rooting, will appreciate the new additions.

I'll try to get some pics up later on today.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
i'll use this thread for the 1.2 update now....was asking questions in the other thread.

so am I correct that the update does not break nookiefroyo or cm7 (or their variants?)

I don't think it has been out long enough to know this. As OTAs start hitting we'll find out but I would be suprised if any custom ROMs are vunerable to this. I'd love to see what it thinks of CM7 on a bootable SD :)

It probably will break root on autonootered devices that have no other alterations. But as you suggested in the other thread even if you are buggered you can reflash a backup or clean custom ROM or even a autonootered back up right over whatever gets hit with the update. In that case you may catch an OTA again once you are back to autonootered but you can always flash to wherever you want to be.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Rico, does browser support multiple tabs? Also do apps show up in extras right away now?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Rico, does browser support multiple tabs? Also do apps show up in extras right away now?

The new stock browser has multiple windows that can be open, and switched through by menu at right top. No quick tabs such as those in other browser apps. The b&n market look similar to the "Shop" application on the NC. Once you pick a free app or buy one, it downloads, install and immediately shows up in "Apps" formally know as "Extras".

dangerousdee

Jan 19, 2011
I am hoping they get this puppy autonootered for ease of install. I love my 1.1 autonootered NC, and would really groove on the possibility of a 1.2 version. Here's to the gods of development granting my humble wish.

arus

Feb 23, 2011
Not sure if everyone is felling the same way with the new 1.2, IMO they could have done better... maybe "inovate" with Live Wallpaper or a new UI... ROOT is something still NECESSARY to keep STOCK as Daily Drive.... stock reader as always awesome... but knowing that your are running Froyo but not felling like froyo is weird.... lets wait and see

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Not sure if everyone is felling the same way with the new 1.2, IMO they could have done better... maybe "inovate" with Live Wallpaper or a new UI... ROOT is something still NECESSARY to keep STOCK as Daily Drive.... stock reader as always awesome... but knowing that your are running Froyo but not felling like froyo is weird.... lets wait and see

This is true for those of us here that know what a rooted or custom ROM nook feels like. To all those other (probably the majority of) users out there though this will indeed be a great update. Lets not be too harsh on B&N and remember our point of view. I thin the only real fault I can see with this update is a lack of tablet soft buttons for android. This is basic functionality for a tablet like device and is a huge omission. It is like shipping a mouse with no buttons for a PC; sure you can move your cursor around but it doesn't really help you navigate.

JP

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^What does feel like fryoyo mean? when android by definition mean Linux based, customizable interface. All phones and tablets running android look and function differently.

All roms are different and if b&n wants to make their 2.2 base like they way they made it, who can complain. B&n software is no different from anyone's rom. I know many were looking forward to the features that were said to be coming: flash and some apps. Perhaps you were expecting too much in expecting a full customizable UI that could be changed in any way and resemble the customs 2.2 and 2.3 roms we have today.

Moody Hammer

Feb 20, 2011
Well I'm updated to software 1.2 and first impressions are: its very smooth and fast at 800mhz, as can be expected. Android 2.2 is faster than 2.1, 2.3 is faster than 2.2 and so on. Same layout as before, bottom left notification area, same bottom nook bar. Stock browser has option for mobile or desktop mode, similar to Opera and Dolphin HD browsers. Flash works very good, with appropriate playback functions. Pinch zoom still works. New area in Settings: Reader - animate ebook page turns. New Nook Friends, Google contacts get downloaded instantly from your account. You can now add app shortcut to home screen. All in all, good start to their android 2.2 software and people that are just not quite up to rooting, will appreciate the new additions.

I'll try to get some pics up later on today.

It's about time someone tested Flash, thank you! Love the Google contacts and app shortcuts.

For the record, I am not disappointed with this update. Running a rooted 2.1, all I needed was Flash.

melendyk

Apr 25, 2011

Thanks. Yes, I could do that, but I just don't care for rebooting the device just to use the "Nook Reader" vs. Good ol' Android market apps. Yes... I want the best of both world in one package. Anyway, I'm sure with time it'll get rooted again. I'll be patient and ride it out.... Then again, I may put CM7 on the SD card until it is rooted.

Thanks again.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Most of the 139 apps are children oriented; guess b&n is focusing on their target market. Sadly, no file browser except for the stock library, also no support for avi or mov video formats.

It's about time someone tested Flash, thank you! Love the Google contacts and app shortcuts.

For the record, I am not disappointed with this update. Running a rooted 2.1, all I needed was Flash.

True there is really no disappointment, I believe many people who are on the fence about rooting will be satisfied with the new update. For custom rom users, who are already miles ahead of the stock b&n software may want to avoid this update and stay with the custom rom of their choice.

Last edited:

arus

Feb 23, 2011
^What does feel like fryoyo mean? when android by definition mean Linux based, customizable interface. All phones and tablets running android look and function differently.

All roms are different and if b&n wants to make their 2.2 base like they way they made it, who can complain. B&n software is no different from anyone's rom. I know many were looking forward to the features that were said to be coming: flash and some apps. Perhaps you were expecting too much in expecting a full customizable UI that could be changed in any way and resemble the customs 2.2 and 2.3 roms we have today.

I see where you are going and you do have a point... B&N did a great job bringing their plataforn in to a newer version and keeping the very same layout that was design. Is just that WOULD be nice IF they had changed a little. But i agree with you Rico! thanks for the the insight!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I just want to say that I am impressed by the reaction to the B&N update that has happened here today. Aside from running down the checklist of wishes and reality everybody has been very mature about the update. It is not often that you get such a measured reaction to a long awaited and speculated update.

INMHO alot of this has to do with the devs providing us such great alternatives so that there is a range of options for us all to be happy with.

Give yourselves a pat on the back and a nice golf clap :)

JP

GDBruce

Apr 24, 2011

This is a VERY workable solution. Ironically, I just achieved this yesterday and what do ya know, they get the update out today.
Well I popped out the uSD and am waiting on the OH SO SLOW download. But I am not giving up my uSD running CM7. I can easily by another flash if I end up needing more memory.

But the bootable uSD is worth the effort and works great!!!