[News] Nook Color 1.2 update released

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
This is a VERY workable solution. Ironically, I just achieved this yesterday and what do ya know, they get the update out today.
Well I popped out the uSD and am waiting on the OH SO SLOW download. But I am not giving up my uSD running CM7. I can easily by another flash if I end up needing more memory.

But the bootable uSD is worth the effort and works great!!!

Yes it does! Glad you like it. A small pain to power down and remove to go back to internal for whatever you have running there but really CM7 is so good I don't find myself doing that. If I do it is specifically to read magazines at which point I end up in there for quite a while finish up and then reboot back to my "tablet".

Fortunately I really don't feel the need to jump back and forth in short burts or it could be a little annoying.

GDBruce

Apr 24, 2011
Yes it does! Glad you like it. A small pain to power down and remove to go back to internal for whatever you have running there but really CM7 is so good I don't find myself doing that. If I do it is specifically to read magazines at which point I end up in there for quite a while finish up and then reboot back to my "tablet".

Fortunately I really don't feel the need to jump back and forth in short burts or it could be a little annoying.

I was just using the nook app for android, does it not do magazines?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I was just using the nook app for android, does it not do magazines?

Nope, no magazines and no 'read to me' function. Those are unique to the Nook color and not in the nook apps.

JP

GDBruce

Apr 24, 2011
Nope, no magazines and no 'read to me' function. Those are unique to the Nook color and not in the nook apps.

JP

Well, I don't do a lot of magazines and since my youngest is 16 and I am hearing impaired, the "read to me" function is not likely to get much use.

Thanks again for the great idea and functionality you've already given to my nook. I am updating it and will keep the nook itself stock, but I have a feeling I will spend the bulk of my time using the CM7 on uSD.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well, I don't do a lot of magazines and since my youngest is 16 and I am hearing impaired, the "read to me" function is not likely to get much use.

Thanks again for the great idea and functionality you've already given to my nook. I am updating it and will keep the nook itself stock, but I have a feeling I will spend the bulk of my time using the CM7 on uSD.

In that case you make want to check out this bit of good ideas from AnimaTechnica http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...so-should-i-move-up-autonooter.html#post80408. Perhaps if you have captioned videos and such on your pc you might find it usefull for streaming to your nook.

Also don't forget about the bluetooth option for GPS and keyboards :D

JP

GDBruce

Apr 24, 2011

General78

Apr 25, 2011
Hey, (probably going to sound like a noob here) I rooted my nook a few weeks back. I rooted it with an earlier version. Should I get the update while my nook is still rooted, or should I unroot it?
Thanks!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hey, (probably going to sound like a noob here) I rooted my nook a few weeks back. I rooted it with an earlier version. Should I get the update while my nook is still rooted, or should I unroot it?
Thanks!

Haven't heard what happens to rooted nooks yet but you may have issues if you update while rooted. At a minimum it will probably break your root. It depends on what you want. If you like the way your nook is working then you may want to wait to do anyting until an autonooter is available. If you only want flash and a limited market or just can't wait to update then you should probably restore then update.

JP

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks!

The new update, like all the previous updates, once installed will break (undo) your root access. As JP said a few pages back, there is no current root method available for the new 1.2 update. To avoid an auto-update until a root method is made for the new update, you will need to install Clockworkmod rom manager from the market and install (flash) Clockworkmod recovery. You will be able to uninstall CWM recovery when you need to update to the the new b&n 1.2 software.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

rokky

Oct 22, 2010

JP
What about magazines downloadable as PDF files? I get Linux Journal that way, and it is horrible for a typical PC landscape screen since it is way too faithful to the magazine print format - always scrolling up and down to follow the columnar "narrative". I can view it almost tolerably on the OLPC XO laptop in reader mode - screen rotated and laid down on keyboard in tablet format in portrait mode. Its 900x1200 resolution is almost perfect then for accommodating a printed magazine page ... but then that 7-inch screen requires perfect reading glasses/close-up vision. And that 3 pounds of PC hardware gets really heavy for prolonged reading, even with the built-in handle.

Hmm ... describing it thus makes me think it highly unlikely the NC 600x1024 7-inch screen could do any better, and probably would be worse. Oh well, I still am all for putting out the eyes of anyone who lays out PDF documents primarily meant for online viewing in printed page mode (or make them stare at their creation on a 3-inch phone screen for the same effect ;) )

Last edited:

steveb_123

Mar 21, 2011
Rico, so since I'm rooted and rom'd, my nook won't auto update and I can stay at my current state, correct.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Rico, so since I'm rooted and rom'd, my nook won't auto update and I can stay at my current state, correct.

Correct. Just by having Clockworkmod recovery installed, you will not be able to receive OTA updates or sideload the updates manually. If you do decide you want to upgrade to the new update, you will need to remove CMWR to restore the stock NC recovery.

General78

Apr 25, 2011
Thanks everybody!
So, Rico, it's only going to undo my root? I just want to make sure that it doesn't do anything funky to the rest of the system.

GDBruce

Apr 24, 2011
Ok, just got the update and I have to say it is nice!!!!!!!
Works great, finally able to watch the weather radar loop WITH THE WARNINGS,,,which is nice when you live in tornado alley!!!!!!!

sholmes

Apr 10, 2011
Correct. Just by having Clockworkmod recovery installed, you will not be able to receive OTA updates or sideload the updates manually. If you do decide you want to upgrade to the new update, you will need to remove CMWR to restore the stock NC recovery.

I know there's been some questions on how to block updates and the consensus of this forum based on experience is that CWM does block. However, this person has no luck in blocking updates. Apparent CWM didn't work for him - nor the sqlite db fix.

xda-developers - View Single Post - NOOK Color’s update to Android OS 2.2/Froyo

Very interesting. Makes me wonder... I don't want the update until it's been rooted.