[News] Nook Color 1.2 update released

bbells

Mar 14, 2011
I tried to update my 1.1 rooted nook with 1.2. Didn't work at all. Then I did the 8 on-offs, and it loaded the update. But, the nook was missing files and wouldn't work right. So, it looks like you need to restore your nook to one of the original unrooted versions before updating. The 1.2 doesn't seem like an upgrade to me. 2.1 was much better since it had access to the market. I backed up my apps before upgrading and I get the locked warning when I try to load anything. Can't wait for autonooter update. Feels like I have 1/2 a nook now.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Yesterday I got the authomatic update to 1.1 instead of 1.2. I wonder if I' ll get 1.2 next. Can we use the bootable CM7 after the update?
gloria

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I know there's been some questions on how to block updates and the consensus of this forum based on experience is that CWM does block. However, this person has no luck in blocking updates. Apparent CWM didn't work for him - nor the sqlite db fix.

xda-developers - View Single Post - NOOK Color’s update to Android OS 2.2/Froyo

Very interesting. Makes me wonder... I don't want the update until it's been rooted.

No offense to that person but he or she either doesn't know what they are doing or installed CWMR incorrectly. IMO it's impossible to install a b&n update since it needs the stock recovery to perform the update installation. When you install CWMR, it replaces the stock NC recovery and take over it's functions.

Many people confuse clockworkmod rom manger and clockworkmod recovery, often talking about one when they mean the other.

sleibow

Nov 28, 2010
None! The pickings are rather slim, and what is there seems expensive. I've downloaded Pulse, that's all I found of interest

sleibow

Nov 28, 2010
It's about time someone tested Flash, thank you! Love the Google contacts and app shortcuts.

For the record, I am not disappointed with this update. Running a rooted 2.1, all I needed was Flash.

Please tell me where are you finding your google contacs, what app shortcuts are you refering to????

sleibow

Nov 28, 2010
One of the update features does not seem to be working, in settings under Reader I have checked the option for "Animate eBook page turn" . When I open any of my books page change only happens with a Swipe or edge of page tap. Can someone else check this out and let us all know.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
What about magazines downloadable as PDF files? I get Linux Journal that way, and it is horrible for a typical PC landscape screen since it is way too faithful to the magazine print format - always scrolling up and down to follow the columnar "narrative".

This will be fine, just use the pdf viewer of your choice.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yesterday I got the authomatic update to 1.1 instead of 1.2. I wonder if I' ll get 1.2 next. Can we use the bootable CM7 after the update?
gloria

You can always use any bootable ROM CM7 or whatever not matter what you have installed on your nook. That is one of the beauties of how the nook works :D

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I know there's been some questions on how to block updates and the consensus of this forum based on experience is that CWM does block. However, this person has no luck in blocking updates. Apparent CWM didn't work for him - nor the sqlite db fix.

xda-developers - View Single Post - NOOK Color’s update to Android OS 2.2/Froyo

Very interesting. Makes me wonder... I don't want the update until it's been rooted.

I decided this morning to try an experiment. I pulled my bootable CM7 and am wating to see if I ever get the OTA. I am on rooted 1.0.1 with CWR at the moment and have never been hit with the 1.1. But I am game to use 2.1 for the next week or so and see if anything happens. Of course not getting hit is still not proof that CWR always blocks updates.

JP

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I don't think it's likely that the update will break my rooted NC, but if it does, I'll deal with it then. There's no use in worrying that I can see. :)

GregV

Mar 16, 2011
I'm a non-nootered NC user and have really enjoyed it as a reader, but have been wanting to root and enjoy all the apps and functionality my Droid has. The update from BN excited me, but has left me a little dissapointed with the VERY limited apps selection. I believe they will increase as time goes on, but would have liked to have the full android market available NOW, so many I would really like to have on my NC. I've seen some complaining that this or that app should be free... I always found it surprising that some of the best WERE free. I don't mind paying .99 to $5 for a good app and will continue to do so. The developers need to be compensated for their work.
Just a few of my thoughts.
GregV

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^ it may suite you better to root your NC 1.0.1 or 1.1 software. It is extremely easy to do.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I don't think it's likely that the update will break my rooted NC, but if it does, I'll deal with it then. There's no use in worrying that I can see. :)

If you are actually running CM7 then you aren't running a 'rooted NC'. You are running a NC with a custom ROM...You are no longer running the B&N OS, so there is no way they could push you the update.