[News] Nook Color 1.2 update released

GregV

Mar 16, 2011
^ it may suite you better to root your NC 1.0.1 or 1.1 software. It is extremely easy to do.
Does this mean that I need to wait for a root for the 1.2, or somehow revert back to my 1.1 and then root, or....??
Thanks rico2001
GregV

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
UGH!... FAIL!

So I was running 1.0.1 rooted (no SD method). I had both the Nook Home and Zeam Home working fine. I did not have CWM Recovery installed in eMMC (or internal memory), but did make an 8GB SD CWM Recovery. However... the automated B&N push failed and now I have a device stuck in a boot loop. Even after multiple reboots and different CWM Recovery tries... nothing.

My guess is the B&N update failed because of some root thing I had in place. Not installing CWM Recovery to eMMC was my biggest issue because at least that would have blocked the automatic update from B&N.

At any rate... I've tried multiple times to recover and now find myself going back to unrooted stock just so I can get the B&N working again.

My wife is gonna kill me if I can't get this thing working again soon. The new magazine issue of "US" is about to come out. =)

-ZenTsang

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Does this mean that I need to wait for a root for the 1.2, or somehow revert back to my 1.1 and then root, or....??
Thanks rico2001
GregV

Depends on what you want to do. There will be a new autonooter by the end of next week (most likely the next couple of days really). If you are ok with the update for the moment then just hang tight. If you must have your missing functionality back then restore back and root again.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
UGH!... FAIL!

So I was running 1.0.1 rooted (no SD method). I had both the Nook Home and Zeam Home working fine. I did not have CWM Recovery installed in eMMC (or internal memory), but did make an 8GB SD CWM Recovery. However... the automated B&N push failed and now I have a device stuck in a boot loop. Even after multiple reboots and different CWM Recovery tries... nothing.

My guess is the B&N update failed because of some root thing I had in place. Not installing CWM Recovery to eMMC was my biggest issue because at least that would have blocked the automatic update from B&N.

At any rate... I've tried multiple times to recover and now find myself going back to unrooted stock just so I can get the B&N working again.

My wife is gonna kill me if I can't get this thing working again soon. The new magazine issue of "US" is about to come out. =)

-ZenTsang

Just do the factory reset (8 reboots) and then use your CWR bootcard to flash your backup. If you include the CWR 3.0.1 zip on the card you can also flash that to prevent another OTA update attempt. Or you could just do the reset and update to B&N 1.2 and wait for the new autonooter.

JP

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
Just do the factory reset (8 reboots) and then use your CWR bootcard to flash your backup. If you include the CWR 3.0.1 zip on the card you can also flash that to prevent another OTA update attempt. Or you could just do the reset and update to B&N 1.2 and wait for the new autonooter.

JP

OH MAN!! I just wrote this nice paragraph thanking you and clicked the wrong button and lost it all!

Anyway... Thanks! You Rock! System back up on stock 1.0.1. Wife can read her mags. The universe is back in balance.

I think I'll just let the official 1.2 update and wait on the autonooter. I have a Coby Kyros MID7024 that I've been beating to death. This one I'm allowed to break. =)

-ZenTsang

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
Depends on what you want to do. There will be a new autonooter by the end of next week (most likely the next couple of days really). If you are ok with the update for the moment then just hang tight. If you must have your missing functionality back then restore back and root again.

JP

Looks like you might be right, just read this over on XDA: [ROM 1.2] Nook Color 1.2 w/ su / root / and off-market APK Install Enabler - xda-developers

In any case it won't be long.

EpicTaco

Mar 24, 2011
Woot! It happened. I'm kinda late on the news, but excited the update is here (was beginning to think they'd push it to later this year). I'm happy the update includes all the things that were expected (froyo, flash, B&N store) and that's all I wanted from it anyway. No, it's not cm7, but I doubted B&N would include more advanced tablet features since they view the NC only as a tablet ereader. Thanks B&N for the update, this will most likely influence what my next pay check goes toward ;)
Can anyone comment on the video performance? Pretty much unchanged?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Woot! It happened. I'm kinda late on the news, but excited the update is here (was beginning to think they'd push it to later this year). I'm happy the update includes all the things that were expected (froyo, flash, B&N store) and that's all I wanted from it anyway. No, it's not cm7, but I doubted B&N would include more advanced tablet features since they view the NC only as a tablet ereader. Thanks B&N for the update, this will most likely influence what my next pay check goes toward ;)
Can anyone comment on the video performance? Pretty much unchanged?

Nope there are reports of choppy video.

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
Looks like you might be right, just read this over on XDA: [ROM 1.2] Nook Color 1.2 w/ su / root / and off-market APK Install Enabler - xda-developers

In any case it won't be long.

Once I got my NC back to stock 1.0.1 ... I ran the stock 1.2 update. Then applied the mods in the link you mention and all is working fine. I have Zeam on it and Amazon App Store so I got a few of my usual apps back on the device. I can't put the Android Market on as suspected but the Amazon App Store has the basics I needed.

I also installed Superuser.apk but once I run it, it says there is a newer version and fails updating (since it's not rooted yet). It then creates a ZIP file to flash from CWM Recovery. So I flashed CWM Recovery 3.0.1.0 but can't figure out the button sequence to get into it. If I hold the power button and N button like the posts I've read... within 10 seconds the device shuts off as designed when you hold the power button for 10 seconds. So I have yet to get the su.zip installed.

ROM Manager will install but also won't work until the su.zip is flashed.

Onward with my trials.

-ZenTsang

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
Nope there are reports of choppy video.

I have downgraded to stock 1.0.1 ... then upgraded to stock 1.2 ... applied the mods in the link below so I could install APKs. Youtube works fine in the stock browser. No choppy video there. I haven't tried straight videos with Rock Player yet but I will give it a shot. I know that even before now, MKV skipped, but AVIs and WMVs usually play fine.

-ZenTsang

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So I flashed CWM Recovery 3.0.1.0 but can't figure out the button sequence to get into it. If I hold the power button and N button like the posts I've read... within 10 seconds the device shuts off as designed when you hold the power button for 10 seconds. So I have yet to get the su.zip installed.

ROM Manager will install but also won't work until the su.zip is flashed.

Onward with my trials.

-ZenTsang

ZenTsang, try turning the nook all the way off. Then hold the power and n buttons together for 8 seconds. this should boot you to CWM Recovery if it was flashed from Rom manager.

JP