[News] Nook Color 1.2 update released

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
ZenTsang, try turning the nook all the way off. Then hold the power and n buttons together for 8 seconds. this should boot you to CWM Recovery if it was flashed from Rom manager.

JP

Ahh... that might be the issue then. It was not flashed from ROM Manager. I had the CWM Recovery zip file to flash. Since I had to revert back to stock 1.0.1 and then upgraded to stock 1.2 ... ROM Manager could not install CWM because it couldn't find su. So I installed Superuser.apk. Running it resulted in an error that su was old and it tried to replace it with new. This didn't work so it created a flashable zip file on the SDcard. So using my custom CWM Recovery SDcard ... I tried to flash the su but it failed stating it couldn't find it even though it said it opened it.

At that point I got frustrated, searched the web for a flashable CWM for the Nook. I found a flashable CWM 3.0.1.0 and it appeared to flash ok. But removing the SDcard so I could use the one I thought was flashed to the internal memory has been the issue. I have held down the power, home, and volume+ buttons to force a hard shutdown. Then pressing and holding the Power and home buttons ... I get the "Read Forever" message from the Nook but if I continue to hold the buttons down, the screen goes black for a second... then I see the N logo and the Nook powers off.

So I guess the question on timing here is... 5, 8, 10 seconds literally or should I release the buttons when I see the "Read Forever" screen or when I see the N logo screen.

And now that I think of it... any way to verify CWM actually flashed onto the system? Maybe it only appeared to flash but didn't.

Gotta love the early stages of rooting/workarounds. =)

-ZenTsang

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Wow, there a a few things there. First just start with a 7-8 actual seconds while holding home and power. This usually brings me a couple of seconds into "Touch the Future of Reading" (new message on 1.2?). If you release when you see the meassage it is too soon and will boot normaly. If you are holding much longer than 7-8 literal seconds you will get a blink and it will power off again.

You can create a CWR bootable disk and place the CWR 3.0.1 zipe file on the disk. Then indsert disk to boot to CWR and flash the CWR zip file to install CWR internally. So that should work. Not sure how to verify other than booting into it though. If you boot normal and go into ROM Manager what does it say under Flash ClockworkMod Recovery (i.e. Current Recovery: ClockworkMod 3.0.0.5)?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^
^
Holding too long.

-Hold power button + n button for 4-5 seconds then let go.

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah... sorry for information overload there.

J515OP - Yes there is a new message in 1.2 on bootup. It says "Read Forever" and no longer "Touch the Future of Reading".

J515OP and rico2001 - I have tried the SDCard version of CWM and it works fine. However trying to flash the CWM 3.0.1 zip appears to work, but after removing the SDcard and booting the NC while holding the power + N regardless of the seconds (I tried 3, 5, 8 seconds) never results in going into CWM Recovery. So something seems to be protecting the recovery area on the NC from accepting the flash. Maybe there is something in the stock 1.2 that is blocking it. Who knows. I'll keep plugging away and if all else fails, I'll hold out for a new autonooter.

Thanks for all the input.

-ZenTsang

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^
My personal opinion, I don't advise people to use an sd card bootable CMWR unless they have problems with internal that need fixing or they are using some special tweak that needs to be applied from a bootable sd. Install CWMR internally reduces chances of issues. Many will disagree with my thinking, which is fine for them to do so.

kmueller04

Apr 27, 2011
I love the 1.2 update! Flash is great. I bought Angry Birds and it is working great! I also found a really fun new game, Aces Bubble Popper! Super Action mode was really fun and it had mini games between some of the levels. It is really addictive and I think it is only on the Nook Color. Check out the You Tube video.

Last edited by a moderator:

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
I was rooted at 1.1.0 and today my root was broken and I had to reregister with B&N, but I'm still at software 1.1.0 and it says there weren't any new notifications. I'm very confused, is the 1.2 still coming?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I was rooted at 1.1.0 and today my root was broken and I had to reregister with B&N, but I'm still at software 1.1.0 and it says there weren't any new notifications. I'm very confused, is the 1.2 still coming?

Yes.

10 char