Next Gen of the Huawei to Have Capacitive Screen

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Well, shopping around this morning and reading the other forums, you see the same sort of agonizing over all the tablets including "I returned my Galaxy tab because it won't have gingerbread" threads. The fact is that it is very early in the game, and there is nothing that you can buy now at any price that both does not suck and has a good upgrade path. 3.0 is where the tablets are suppose to shine. I look at the S7 like if this can just last me until I can get a really nice and stable gingerbread or better tablet in the Summer, or heck, maybe even an iPad2 (although I prefer the android environment), I'll be happy with it. You might want 2.2 for the Apps to SD feature and the inline flash player, but I'm not out of memory yet, and I'm not sure that the S7 can ever be certified for flash. I really want the unlocked 3G feature which limits tablet choice. If there were cheap data plans I might consider a locked version, but there aren't. There are a few apps that require 2.2, and at some point in the future that will start to bother you if this can't be upgraded. There is still hope that some really smart person could run with it and get 2.2 or some other ROM working. Someone said that you could get the Verizon Galaxy tab by just signing up for a one month service, I'll look into that now, but ha, you still will have limited upgrade. In the future though I guess you have to look at Huawei Android devices and think "what you see is all you will get, do you still want it".

AndroidApple

Nov 22, 2010
I have the Gpad G10 with the resistive screen. Before I bought the tablet, I heard resistive screens suck, that they aren't responsive and to never get a tablet with a resistive screen.

When I got it, I switched it on and was AMAZED at how responsive it is.

Sure, compared to a capacitive screen, you do have to use SLIGHTLY more pressure when tapping. But it doesn't bother me.

I never have trouble with scrolling, typing or selecting things on screen. I have a new iPod touch, so I have devices with both resistive and capacitive, and I can honestly say resistive screens aren't bad. Unless the tablet has problems which cause the screen to be not very responsive.

After 2 weeks of owning my G10, I could care less what kind of screen it is. It works great for me. By the way, I have a stylus, but I ONLY use the stylus when I'm calibrating the screen. My finger works perfectly...

People who diss on resistive screens are simply overreacting, in my opinion.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I am currently using both a Viewsonic gTab (Capacitive) and a Huawei S7 (Resistive) and here are my two cents about the comparison. While the capacitive is more responsive, it is also a lot more finicky, and a lot sensitive. Every single accidental brush, trying to wipe away an errant dog-hair, whatever and I have just exited what I am doing.

The resistive screen makes it so that an intentional touch is a command to do something, and a casual or accidental brush is not. This is not the case with the Capacitive. I am also noticing that while this is not such a big deal with a smaller screen like my HTC Incredible phone, it is HUGE deal with a 10" screen like the gTab.

End analysis - for me, I am thinking the larger the screen, then less sensitive it should be, and the resistive is better on the form factor.

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
Has anyone looked into how to implement multi-touch on a device like the S7? I've seen resistive multitouch before...and it's quite good too! Just wondering if anything like this can be installed on an S7.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
There is nothing hardware specific that would prevent it, but it is pretty complex in terms of drivers and code overhead.

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
It's my understanding that resistive multi-touch is far superior to capacitive...getting it setup, however, is a mighty challenge. The pMatrix system from Stantun seems like the very best.

There are some hardware requirements...the chip has to support it, etc...I am pretty sure that it's possible down the road though! :)

Last edited by a moderator: