Next Generation Coby tablets

Radioman55

Jun 2, 2011
The next generation Coby tablets have been removed from Amazon.com and even from Coby's own web site. Does anyone know what is going on? It's not justing the next gen (models numbers ending in 5), but the gen after that were previously available for pre-order on Amazon and elsewhere on the web (model numbers ending in 6)...

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
I thought they removed the 7025/8025/1025's a while ago. Since some of the sites that had this unit for sale are listing it as discontinued now, I wonder if there was a problem getting GingerBread to run on the 7024 hardware, or if there was a falling out between Coby and the manufacture. Heck, it could be that they just felt that having "next" tablets pre ordering now was hurting the sales of the 7024/8024/1024 line.

Radioman55

Jun 2, 2011
Or it could have been the scathing review that one of the next gen models received from Cnet:

Coby Kyros Review - Tablets - CNET Reviews

I actually found this review somewhat interesting, since I have a 7024 myself (very similar to the 8025) and since Amazon.com has 74 customers reviews for the 7024 with an average score of 3.5 stars, VERY high score for a tablet that sells for around $150.

I think Cnet may have trying to compare the Kyros to the iPad or other more expensive tablets, which really is unfair of them when you consider the price point of the Coby models.

Cnet biggest drag is they hate the resistive touch screen, though I THINK that the 3rd gen models (model numbers ending in 6) will feature capacitive screens, though I am not certain.

Radioman55

Jun 2, 2011
Well I found a blog that seems to have some info it says next Gen Coby tablets were supposed to release in March but was postponed to May/June... which means they could pop their head any time now (the link is below).

Here are the new tablets and their prices on Amazon.com; they all still have resistive screens (except for the 10 incher which also has better screen resolution), but these tablets have Gingerbread instead of Froyo :)

MID7025 (7″ 800×480 resistive): $172.99
MID7026 (7″ 800×600 resistive): $172.99
MID8025 (8″ 800×600 resistive): $190.99
MID1025 (10.1″ 1024×600″ capacitive) $259.99

Coby Kyros new line not shipping soon.

Radioman55

Jun 2, 2011
I found this quote very interesting:

The Coby KYROS MID7025, MID8025, and MID1025 were shown to PCMag, but not powered on. We took extensive pictures of the hardware, however, which you can peruse in our slideshow...

The fact that the unit has not been released as expected, and was removed from Coby's web site and all other retail sites, makes me wonder if Coby couldn't get the 7025 to work with Gingerbread (as Driggs suggested). Why else would they refuse to turn it on for PC Magazine?

Full article is here (below), which also claims Coby to release a capacitive version of the 7025 in late 2011 (this would have to be referring to the 7026...), I'd be all over that!

Exclusive Hands-On: Coby Unveils New Android Tablets at CES 2011 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

U
pdate: According to this article (below) the 7026 does NOT have a capacitive touchscreen, just a higher screen resolution (600 instead of 480)

http://www.lifeatmost.com/tablet-pc/coby-kyros-mid-7025-mid-7026-mid-8025-and-mid-1025-android-tablets-up-fr-pre-order/

S
heesh, are we gonna have to wait for the 7027 before we get capacitive touch on a 7 inch model from Coby?

Last edited:

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
I found this quote very interesting:

The fact that the unit has not been released as expected, and was removed from Coby's web site and all other retail sites, makes me wonder if Coby couldn't get the 7025 to work with Gingerbread (as Driggs suggested). Why else would they refuse to turn it on for PC Magazine?

Full article is here (below), which also claims Coby to release a capacitive version of the 7025 in late 2011 (this would have to be referring to the 7026...), I'd be all over that!

Exclusive Hands-On: Coby Unveils New Android Tablets at CES 2011 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

U
pdate: According to this article (below) the 7026 does NOT have a capacitive touchscreen, just a higher screen resolution (600 instead of 480)

http://www.lifeatmost.com/tablet-pc/coby-kyros-mid-7025-mid-7026-mid-8025-and-mid-1025-android-tablets-up-fr-pre-order/

S
heesh, are we gonna have to wait for the 7027 before we get capacitive touch on a 7 inch model from Coby?
Your wait has been over good sir. I bought a capacitive 512 mb ram 1ghz gingerbread coby kyros 7022 from toys r us for 180 with a 25 gift card to go along with it.

Radioman55

Jun 2, 2011
Holy Cow man you are correct! The Mid7022 runs a 1 Ghz, Cortex A8, Android 2.3 and has a 7 inch capacitive screen (also has built in webcam). They have them at Toys R Us and apparently nowhere else, yet. Price is only $179.99 (apparently there is $25 rebate card of some kind that you get when you purchase). HOLY COW this is the tablet I have bee waiting for!

Coby 7 inch 4GB Tablet - Coby Electronics - Toys "R" Us

Does anyone on here have one of these? If so, thoughts?

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
I think its a good tablet but will be much better when rooted. Can't get the market working so I've been sideloading all my apps. With a custom rom. This baby will fly but not bad at all right now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

rossjhsn

Dec 28, 2010
Although not the easiset thing i have ever done i get great joy from running honeycomb over gingerbread on my coby 7015. What a ride with the likes of tipster cranking the Rom and Mod handle. Its been more fun than video games! RJ

Sent from my KYROS 7015 using Android Tablet Forum

Apr 28, 2011
Even though they are coming out with this newer tablet, the 7015 will be way better than it for now since it has a large possibility of mods that this one doesnt now.

The 7022 probably still has 2.1 eclair and will not be able to be rooted for at least a few more months.

I am running 2.3.1 and happy. It is running 30X faster than the tablet stock and I love it!

sjo

Jul 6, 2011
I ordered mine yesterday.I'll let you know what I think after I get it...that is, if the opinion of a android tablet newbie means anything. :rolleyes:

[h=5]Touchscreen Tablet PC with Android OS and Built-in Camera/Microphone
Model Number: MID7022
Key Specifications/Special Features:

[/h]
  • Browse the web, watch videos on YouTube, check email and more
  • 7.0-inch LCD screen
  • Intuitive capacitive touchscreen controls powered by Android OS 2.3
  • High-speed 800MHz processor
  • Connect to the internet wireless with high-speed networking support (Wi-Fi 802.11b/g)
  • Download and enjoy popular applications and games form the AppsLib marketplace
  • Play popular video, music and photo formats
  • Connect and enjoy 1080p HD video on your HDTV via HDMI
  • Download and read thousands of books with automatic orientation detection
  • Built-in front-facing camera and microphone
  • Expandable memory with optional microSDHC card
  • Rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

promek1

Feb 25, 2011
Even though they are coming out with this newer tablet, the 7015 will be way better than it for now since it has a large possibility of mods that this one doesnt now.

The 7022 probably still has 2.1 eclair and will not be able to be rooted for at least a few more months.

I am running 2.3.1 and happy. It is running 30X faster than the tablet stock and I love it!

the 7022 comes with gingerbread 2.3.1 already on it

promek1

Feb 25, 2011
this is the same exact as the Gpad702... the same manufacturer makes the coby also.. one of the members one tipsters site is looking at getting a bulk order of these.. it wont be a Coby brand but we can add that in the build.prop...

here are the specs:

GPAD 702

Display: 7.0 inch 16:9 TFT LCD full touch LCD screen, 800x480 pixels
CPU: TCC8803 high-performance Cortex-A8 processor core processors up to 1.2GHZ frequency
operating system: Google Android 2.3 system
cache: 512M DDR3 400 cache
built-in capacity: Built-in 4G memory, support for external TF card expansion, expandable 16GB
Wi-Fi access: Built-in wireless WiFi
3G network support: the first 3G Universal driver supports WCDMA, EVDO, TD-SCDMA
Battery life: Lithium-polymer battery, 4000mAh, sustainable wireless Internet access 5 hours movie playback 6 hours, standby 72 hours
Video play: support RM / RMVB, AVI, MKV, FLV, WMV, MP4, 3GP, maximum support 1080P with 1080P HD output
audio player: built-in music player, background play, support MP3, WMA, OGG, AAC, FLAC, APE, WAV music format
Photo playback: supports JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP format picture
Other features: Built-in 1.3 megapixel camera, support for 3D acceleration, with HDMI output, multi-language, high-fidelity speakers built 8Ω/1.5W, free download a variety of entertainment software, application software, office software support Adobe FLASH10.1, Built-in MIC