Nexus 10

mikeloew

Oct 31, 2012
Hi all, newbie here. I have been thinking about getting a tablet. I have no android experience but I am very well versed with windows. I have looked at most tablets and really like the specs on the new Nexus 10. I like the usb and HDMI ports. I can not tell for sure but it looks like it has front facing speakers also. I have a few friends that tell me to NOT by a 10'' and to buy a 7'' as its much easier to hold? I also like the fact that I can upgrade the operating system as new ones come out. Should I be looking at anything else. Thanks Mike

If you have not seen it yet here is a link
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_10_16gb&feature=device-featured#?t=W10.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Welcome.

It does indeed have front facing speakers. You can find some additional info in our Android Tablet News section including some thoughts on the device. Overall it looks pretty nice but you may want to wait a bit until it has been reviewed and in use for a couple of weeks before making a decision.

10" vs 7" is a personal preference. It really depends on what you want to do with the device and how mobile you really need to be. 7" is definitely easier to hold in one hand and you will be much more inclined to take it along with you on outings. If you need to type docs, surf the web from the couch or watch a lot of movies then 10" is the way to go.

Since this is your first exploration of Android tablets the 7" Nexus 7 might be the place to start. It is half the price of the Nexus 10 and will give you a good idea what Android is all about with proven performance.

JP

mikeloew

Oct 31, 2012
Welcome.

It does indeed have front facing speakers. You can find some additional info in our Android Tablet News section including some thoughts on the device. Overall it looks pretty nice but you may want to wait a bit until it has been reviewed and in use for a couple of weeks before making a decision.

10" vs 7" is a personal preference. It really depends on what you want to do with the device and how mobile you really need to be. 7" is definitely easier to hold in one hand and you will be much more inclined to take it along with you on outings. If you need to type docs, surf the web from the couch or watch a lot of movies then 10" is the way to go.

Since this is your first exploration of Android tablets the 7" Nexus 7 might be the place to start. It is half the price of the Nexus 10 and will give you a good idea what Android is all about with proven performance.

JP

Thank you, I did consider the Nexus 7 however it did not have a HDMI out, I was hoping to also use a tablet to stream movies into my Home Theater. It seems that the 10 had HDMI out, it also appears to be made be Samsung, I do not know if that is good or bad.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
There is no physical HDMI out but you should still be able to stream video from the Nexus 7. One option is via the Nexus Q (if you can find one) that is Google's streaming box an alternative to Apple's Airplay. There are many other third party alternatives though. Here is one article about using the HTC media streamer which gives the basic idea though there are limitations since this is just HTC's implementation applied to the Nexus 7.

Wi-Fi Media lets your Nexus 7 play movies on any screen via HTC's Media Link HD (hands-on video) -- Engadget

Edit: Almost forgot, the Nexus 7 is made by Asus and the Nexus 10 is made by Samsung. Both are top Android Tablet makers.

mikeloew

Oct 31, 2012
Thanks again, I think I am going to buy this tablet. The next question is if I should spent an extra $100 for the 32gb, or just get a 64gb mini SD card instead. I would think that there would not be a real advantage of the built in or external. Here is another review

Google Nexus 10 hands-on (video) -- Engadget

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Just to be clear there is no external storage option (SD/microSD) on this tablet. Also don't forget you will lose about 3GB-4GB of internal storage to the OS. There are many could storage options available these days though if you need to have space beyond what is included.

mikeloew

Oct 31, 2012
Just to be clear there is no external storage option (SD/microSD) on this tablet. Also don't forget you will lose about 3GB-4GB of internal storage to the OS. There are many could storage options available these days though if you need to have space beyond what is included.

Thanks JP15OP, I was thinking about the microUSB port for extra storage if needed. I also wonder if the current Samsung Galaxy Tab add ons like the cases and cases with built in key boards will work with the Nexus 10.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks JP15OP, I was thinking about the microUSB port for extra storage if needed. I also wonder if the current Samsung Galaxy Tab add ons like the cases and cases with built in key boards will work with the Nexus 10.

You should be fine with a micro usb adapter and a usb device though some might consider it more of a hassle than its worth ;) There are time when you just need to plug-in some memory though.

More good questions. Judging by the pictures the body is different enough you wouldn't think accessory cases would work but maybe in real life it is close enough.

mikeloew

Oct 31, 2012
Thanks JP15OP,. I also wonder if the current Samsung Galaxy Tab add ons like the cases and cases with built in key boards will work with the Nexus 10.
I can confirm they will not fit. Some early comments, I have had the Nexus 10 lock up on me a few times now, I am new to Droid so it could be me. The video is unreal,absolutely incredible, it is very fast loading web pages, (much faster than my Windows laptop.) The micro HDMI port is very tight and hard to insert a plug into. I just ordered a new cable to see if it is my cable. Over all so far I love it. I am disappointed that Nexus did not think far enough ahead to have to have at least some peripherals custom made to fit their new flagship(cases, covers, ect). I also forgot to add I tried the GPS to day on the way to work, It works great, however it had a nagging message that it lost wi-fi, even when I turned wi-fi off. Again it might just be me new to droid that I am doing something wrong.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Samsung has a way of lagging behind with accessories, I would like the bookcase cover and an eraser stylus for my Note 10.1 but still haven't been able to aquire them. I imagine the Nexus 10 will be popular enough that you will not have to wait for Samsung, third party options should be available soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1