Nexus 7 2013 Weakness?

Riski1

Oct 28, 2013
Maybe I'm getting the cart before the horse, but I warned yall in my introduction of many dumb questions to come. I guess it's the kid in me that has me excited about asking for this tablet on my Santa list (last list was about 1961).

Curiousity has me going nuts. I have read about 10 reviews on the new Nexus 7 and all say a weakness is the admission of a SD card slot. How would you make backups to the system? Never had a tablet before so I would like to prepare.

Please any ideas are welcome

Riski1

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I think you meant omission,;) and that can be a problem but not so much for backups. Most backups apps can be used with a direct connection to the PC or to the cloud. I have used several different types of backup apps and they all allow me to backup directly to DropBox. Some can be used over your network.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I bought the 8GB 7, thinking there was a micro SD card slot, according to the specs I saw online. The truth is, only the 3G model has a micro slot for the micro SIM card. In hindsight, I would have spent the extra $25 or so for the 16Gb model. then I tink I could have gotten everything I saved from the old broken Huawei S7 to the new Nexus 7, with the exception of storing backups on the home PC.

But for the meantime, or as long as I don't drop it destructively, I will be fine storing backups in memory. Google will backup most things for you but personal stuff, like password files.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
On second thought, I think you will soon see a dongle to plug into the USB jack that will allow you to use a micro SD card. Necessity crests the inventions?

Riski1

Oct 28, 2013
I think you meant omission,

Yes I did, that's an age thingy.

Most backups apps can be used with a direct connection to the PC or to the cloud.

Guess I was looking for a direct connection to a flash drive, etc. That possible? My wife's old Coby would not recognize a USB connected flash drive.

I have used several different types of backup apps and they all allow me to backup directly to DropBox. Some can be used over your network.

Guess I will get into backup methods and apps after I'm straght with the hardware to use. Was checking out the uses of this device from Sandisk: SanDisk Connect Wireless Flash Drive

I have many things to learn here and I have just begun I think

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
That wireless USB drive would work. There is also a really good app that doesn't not require rooting for backing up called Helium, was called Carbon at one time.

Riski1

Oct 28, 2013
Thanks for the tips Music and leeshor!

I'm off to gather as much info on Android and the Nexus 7 as I can...just in case Santa comes. :D

Now here comes the dumb question: What is Google Wallet and does it require it's use for the Google Play Store? If so, may as well sign up now :confused:

Thanks again

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Google Wallet is a kind of shopping, e-commerce, loyalty and money-handling thing. You can shop (Orbitz, travelocity, etc.) you can get coupons and special offers from stores (and Google!) store your loyalty cards and store coupons, and send money to people (like Paypal.)

I suppose I'm old-fashioned; I sit down at the PC (with the 30 inch screen) and use Firefox to shop store websites, eBay, search for travel deals, and print coupons and boarding tickets on paper. When you get FREE 3G worlwide on a tablet, then I'll carry a tablet in public.

A smart, virtual wallet for in-store and online shopping Google Wallet

FYI, I installed a fireplace wallpaper, and my tablet got HOT! hahahaha:D

Last edited:

Riski1

Oct 28, 2013
I suppose I'm old-fashioned; I sit down at the PC (with the 30 inch screen) and use Firefox to shop store websites, eBay, search for travel deals, and print coupons and boarding tickets on paper.

Sounds like my habits for online behaviour. Get I am selfish with my card.

The reason I ask about Goole Wallet is Mrs. Claus went to the Google site to snatch a Nexus 7 32GB and they tried to set up a Google Wallet account. I figure if all Google store purchases in the future I may as well do it now, although I prefer not to.

The Zon always works for me :cool:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I have been reading about the Nexus 7 rebooting randomly, but I haven't had that happen to me.

The only time mine rebooted was when it updated to the next version of Android.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
We used cash in the last Century, then somebody invented ATMs, so you didn't have to go to the bank and wait in line with your paycheck every week, and now we have direct-deposit, online credit card or utility payments, and Paypal.

I think Google wallet is the next step to making your purchases so effortless you won't even have to BE there! HaHaHa!:p

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Google is already a step or two away from making our purchasing decisions for us.