Nexus 7: A Road Warrior's best friend

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Summary: Maps, video conferencing, voice to text, a great screen, Jelly Bean, and more make this Android tablet the one to beat.

By Joel Evans for The Mobile Gadgeteer |August 14, 2012 -- 01:32 GMT (18:32 PDT)

I've been writing about mobile gadgets for more than 15 years so when a new "shiny object" appears, I'm usually the first to grab one. Well, the same holds true for the Nexus 7, which I purchased and then wrote about moments later. I apparently held off long enough to avoid hardware issues, but thankfully my delay still had the Nexus 7 in my hands on July 21st.
As you have probably heard by now, Google initially had a bad batch of Nexus 7 devices, with the left side of the screen not being attached. Thankfully, my device didn't ship with any hardware defects. That said, the only hardware defect was the packaging of the Nexus 7, which left me challenged … and laughing. I had heard horror stories about opening the package, but I figured since I open packages daily, it wouldn't be an issue. I couldn't have been more wrong, with the packaging challenging me and leaving me laughing for about 10 minutes, before I finally got the Nexus 7 fully removed from the box.

Nexus 7: Perfect out of the box

I mentioned above that I've been opening gadgets for years. What comes with opening is usually the painful configuration and first startup experience. I have to say the Nexus 7 has one of the best ones I've ever experienced. In my case, I turned the device on and was immediately greeted with a request for a Wi-Fi password to the network that I had in my house. I was then shown my Gmail ID and asked for my password. After inputting my password the device configured GMAIL, pulled all of my calendars, contacts and even my apps, onto the device. It really couldn't have been easier.
I then launched Chrome and was blown away by the speed of the browser, not to mention the speed of the device in general. Seconds later I was interrupted by a prompt telling me that a new version of the Jelly Bean OS (Jelly Bean version 4.1.1) was now available. This part in particular made me smile since most devices didn't even have Jelly Bean yet, and Google's own was already receiving an update.

Video conferencing done right

Everyone always talks about how amazing FaceTime and Skype are. I'm a huge user and fan of both, but the Nexus 7 is the one to beat now. I was using the Nexus 7 in a hotel room, tethered to my iPad, since the hotel Wi-Fi was too slow, and all of the sudden I heard the sound of chats coming in. I looked at the Nexus 7 and not only had it logged me into Google Talk, but it was also receiving chats. I then saw the camera icon and figured "it can't be this easy". Well, it was and a quick click of the camera icon had me doing a video conference with a co-worker--see below.

videoconferencing-nexus7.jpg

The quality of the conference call was spectacular, even over a hotspot. I was also offered the option to manipulate the images of my outgoing video stream, though there's no real business purpose there.

Maps on steroids

If you're an iPhone user, you have no idea what the Maps experience from Google is really all about. Instead, we've been forced to use the built-in Maps application, which pales in comparison. In the case of the Nexus 7, simply launching the Maps app immediately finds your location and then pops up a pop-over that features Local restaurants, cafes, bars, attractions, and more. The Maps app also takes a guess at where you are and offers you the option to "check-in, review or view details", all at the touch of a button.

Siri has some catching up to do

Siri has been making headlines, but Google's dictation features are lightyears ahead. Not only does it grab every word almost perfectly every time, but it types out the words as you're speaking. I was doing this in front of a colleague the other day, and he was shocked at how effortless it was. Unlike Siri, we didn't get any kind of wait indicator, and it seemed to work flawlessly every time.

The screen is beautiful

Everyone talks about how amazing the Retina screen is on the latest iPad. Well, when you take a closer look at the Nexus 7, you'll soon see that Google isn't that far behind. Granted, it's a 7-inch device and not the iPad's size, but the screen definitely impresses. Speaking of the screen, Google ships the Nexus 7 with a copy of Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which streams in seconds and definitely shows off the beauty of the screen.

Summary

So far I've been really impressed with what the Nexus 7 has to offer. The only thing that hasn't worked as well as I had expected is Google Now, but that's probably because I haven't been using the Nexus 7 as much as I should, so that it can learn more about me. I did expect it to know some things since it could technically read my calendar and contacts, but perhaps that's not how it's designed to work.

Since I have an iPad and an iPhone, the Nexus 7 is a nice-to-have for me. However, I'm going to try to leave the iPad behind a bit more and see how much of a power user of the Nexus 7 I can become. I'm also thinking of swapping out my iPhone for either a Galaxy Nexus or a Galaxy S3, since I really do appreciate the integration with Google's universe.

With a rumored iPad mini coming, discounts on the Nook, and other tablets on the way, the Nexus 7 is sure to have some competition. As you can see from the article above, though, Google did a great job with its own Nexus 7, and is definitely the Android tablet to beat.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Wow, not that we haven't heard great thing about it before but that is a very flattering review.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I just got my Nexus 7 two days ago and I love it so much that I will be selling my Acer a500. The Nexus just feels right in your hand. It begs to be held and played with like a little puppy.

tspin818

Dec 17, 2011
Speaking as a professional "Road Warrior", I could not agree more with the above review. Having had an Ipad for work, and a Vizio Vtab as my first android tablet, I was blown away by the Nexus 7. The Vizio tablet was ok, albeit slow and clunky with choppy wifi reception. Comparing it to the Ipad was just not possible. The Nexus 7 on the other hand is directly comparable to the Ipad, and in a good way. I did not buy the Nexus, I got it as a frequent flier award from United Airlines. I have been using it for about 2 weeks, and it has become an indispensable tool in my travel arsenal. I got rid of my Ipad about a year ago because I was tired of Apple. I like having multiple sources for my apps, and I like being able to tweak my gadgets to fit my personality and lifestyle. The Ipad just didn't let me accomplish that the way the Nexus 7 has. With Quickoffice Pro and Dropbox I can do all of the paperwork that I need to do daily right on the tablet, like trip and expense reports. I carry the Nexus in the front pocket of my jeans when I am out walking around the production floor of the various plants that I visit worldwide, and it is always handy when I need it to reference drawings or manuals that I have stored on it. The Ipad was always just a little to big and a little to expensive for me to do this.

The 16gb of storage has proven to be more than enough. All of my forms and manuals take up no more than 4gb, and I use Dropbox to transfer the filled out forms to my desktop and delete them from the tablet when I am done with that account. All of the apps and entertainment games that I have installed have used less than 1.5gb, which leaves me with about 9gb to load movies for each trip while at home. I only keep 4 or 5 movies on the tablet at one time, which is more than enough for each trip.

So far I love this tablet, and I can't see traveling without it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Speaking as a professional "Road Warrior", I could not agree more with the above review. Having had an Ipad for work, and a Vizio Vtab as my first android tablet, I was blown away by the Nexus 7. The Vizio tablet was ok, albeit slow and clunky with choppy wifi reception. Comparing it to the Ipad was just not possible. The Nexus 7 on the other hand is directly comparable to the Ipad, and in a good way. I did not buy the Nexus, I got it as a frequent flier award from United Airlines. I have been using it for about 2 weeks, and it has become an indispensable tool in my travel arsenal. I got rid of my Ipad about a year ago because I was tired of Apple. I like having multiple sources for my apps, and I like being able to tweak my gadgets to fit my personality and lifestyle. The Ipad just didn't let me accomplish that the way the Nexus 7 has. With Quickoffice Pro and Dropbox I can do all of the paperwork that I need to do daily right on the tablet, like trip and expense reports. I carry the Nexus in the front pocket of my jeans when I am out walking around the production floor of the various plants that I visit worldwide, and it is always handy when I need it to reference drawings or manuals that I have stored on it. The Ipad was always just a little to big and a little to expensive for me to do this.

The 16gb of storage has proven to be more than enough. All of my forms and manuals take up no more than 4gb, and I use Dropbox to transfer the filled out forms to my desktop and delete them from the tablet when I am done with that account. All of the apps and entertainment games that I have installed have used less than 1.5gb, which leaves me with about 9gb to load movies for each trip while at home. I only keep 4 or 5 movies on the tablet at one time, which is more than enough for each trip.

So far I love this tablet, and I can't see traveling without it.

Nice review :)