Nexus 7 and USB Thumb Drive

chicknstrips

Nov 29, 2012
Hey,
I am looking to pick up a nexus 7 this weekend and wanted to know if it's able to read a USB flash drive that holds all the video lectures for a CPA course course I'm taking. Some of the videos are 5 hours long... And I know i will need a cord to adapt the drive.

Thanks for the help

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011

fljoe

Dec 5, 2012
I think you will need to root your device to use Stickmount. You can use Nexus Media Importer which is a paid app without rooting the device.

rebel1699

Dec 13, 2012
In truth, tbere are apps on the market which do nlt require root for usb otg access. Unfortunately, stickmount and other known soljtions were broken with the 4.2, and subsequent 4.2.1 updates. I have not recently checked to see if those kinks have been worked out. Search store for "otg no root".

Additionally, there are also solutions for usb otg+host mode charging. That means using otg and charging at the same time. A google search should point you to the right kernels, and the needed y cables can be found on ebay. Naturally, root and custom recovery(cwm or twrp) IS needed for this, since you will be flashing a modkfied kernel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Nexus Media Importer still works well with 4.2 and 4.2.1. And there is no need to open the app. Just insert the flash drive and it opens the app.

rebel1699

Dec 13, 2012
Nexus Media Importer still works well with 4.2 and 4.2.1. And there is no need to open the app. Just insert the flash drive and it opens the app.

Ill check it out. I really dont use otg in android anymore, but I am setup to dual boot android and ubuntu 13.04, and use otg in ubuntu constantly, and store most of my things there. Luckilly, when booted into android, i can access the ubuntu fs and grab anything needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2