Nexus 7 Overclocked to 2GHz Takes Things to a Whole-New Benchmark Crushing Level

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
nexus7-2ghz.jpeg

Previously we shared a story about some folks over at XDA who overclocked their Nexus 7 tablet to an amazing 1.7GHz. That tablet blazed through benchmarks and annihilated the competition. Apparently, that wasn't good enough though. The Nexus 7 was again overclocked, but this time to an unbelievable 2GHz, and its new benchmark results dominate the landscape like Godzilla rampaging across Tokyo. The Quadrant score they achieved with the turbo-charged device was a mind-numbing 8,082, which was double the score of the HTC One X!

nexus7-overclock-nexus7-benchmarks.jpeg

The overclock ROM is called the "Elite Kernel," and is still a bit experimental, but obviously is impressive nonetheless. The pics are from AndroidCommunity, but here is an XDA source link below for more info.

Source: NexusTablets.net via XDA

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Unbelievable, well sort of. I mean this thing does have a quadcore chip in it and it has been nearly double clocked. I'd like to see more benchmarks than Quadrant on this and also know how hot the thing is getting. I doubt 2GHz is sustainable though 1.7GHz probably is. Obviously this thing has a top shelf processor in it.

At this point real world performance means much more. Jelly Bean should help with the smoothness and hopefully it generally trounces the tasks thrown at it. That is all you really want at the end of the day, is for the thing to work without slowing down.