Nexus 7 rooted.. now what??

miseryguts

Aug 31, 2012
I have several of the apps people have suggested.. Rom Manager Pro/Titanium Backup etc
What are the next steps I need to take..

Thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It's a Nexus device which means you are already running pure Android. You don't really need to do anything to have a good experience. If you do want to tinker you can try Astrix suggestions. Keep in mind though that you should read up and learn what you are doing as any modifications to the kernel or custom ROMs may brick your device (standard disclaimer).

miseryguts

Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the comments, I'm interested in installing the GlazedJellyBean 1.1.2 Rom it appears to have some very nice/useful enhancements.
I just need a step by step.. there are loads of explanations about what custom roms are but barely anything that explains the installation procedure in easy to understand terms & those that I've seen assume prior knowledge/experience.

Astrix

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 7, 2012
Flashing of custom is almost all he same.

Optional but very good.
- You need to have cwm a.k.a clockworkmodrecovery.
- Boot to cwm and do Nandroid backup. Go to advanced - backup.( Just in case if any fail or you dislike) you can use this Nandroid/backup to restore.
- Once done, try to restore to ensure your backup is good.
- Save a copy of your Nandroid backup to your PC (location generaly will be in this folder: sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/xxxxxx

Flashing of rom.
- Boot to recovery
- Wipe cache, go to advance wipe dalvik cache and wipe data a.k.a as full wipe.
- Flash your preference rom and gapps if any.
- Once done, go to advance option and fix permission.
- Reboot and you good to go.

Note:
- After flashing if suddenly it bootloop or whatsoever reason that cant boot to homescreen; or
- You decided to revert back cause you dislike.
- Force boot to cwm and restore your Nandroid.

Hope it help...as JP said. Do more reading for more understanding will be great and it at your own risk...

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the comments, I'm interested in installing the GlazedJellyBean 1.1.2 Rom it appears to have some very nice/useful enhancements.
I just need a step by step.. there are loads of explanations about what custom roms are but barely anything that explains the installation procedure in easy to understand terms & those that I've seen assume prior knowledge/experience.

Hope it help...as JP said. Do more reading for more understanding will be great and it at your own risk...

I am all for learning how to root, flash custom ROMs and generally tinker with devices. I have even written some step by step instructions for things like this. However, most of us that have taken the time to learn also realize that spoon feeding somebody that only wants to skim the basics often leads to "Help I bricked my device and now somebody needs to tell me how to fix it!"

Take your time, read a lot and ask questions. Most people are willing to help you learn but don't want to fix your careless mistakes. Once you understand what you are doing then go for it and remember to help others out who are seeking the same knowledge you have learned.

JP :)

WVUTampaAlum

Oct 6, 2011
Major item missed is to backup all your apps and data. Titanium is awesome and if you have paid version you can batch reinstall everything or specific apps. Titanium is awesome crucial app.
Titanium is HUGE time saver and highly recommend getting paid version.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Flashing of custom is almost all he same.

Optional but very good.
- You need to have cwm a.k.a clockworkmodrecovery.
- Boot to cwm and do Nandroid backup. Go to advanced - backup.( Just in case if any fail or you dislike) you can use this Nandroid/backup to restore.
- Once done, try to restore to ensure your backup is good.
- Save a copy of your Nandroid backup to your PC (location generaly will be in this folder: sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/xxxxxx

Flashing of rom.
- Boot to recovery
- Wipe cache, go to advance wipe dalvik cache and wipe data a.k.a as full wipe.
- Flash your preference rom and gapps if any.
- Once done, go to advance option and fix permission.
- Reboot and you good to go.

Note:
- After flashing if suddenly it bootloop or whatsoever reason that cant boot to homescreen; or
- You decided to revert back cause you dislike.
- Force boot to cwm and restore your Nandroid.

This is why you needed ROM Manager and Titanium Backup. First use TB to make a backup (this is apps and data only) and then make a copy of that file and put it on your computer to be safe. Then you can use ROM Manager to install ClockWorkMod Recovery. At that point you can make the nandroid backup (a full system image) mentioned by Astrix.

Once you have those it is pretty much like Astrix laid out. If you don't understand any or the steps of terms try searching and reading. There are lots of threads on this stuff. At that point ask questions about any specifics you don't understand. Then you will be well on your way to being a "hacker".

JP :)

WVUTampaAlum

Oct 6, 2011
Think of nandroid backup as a photocopy of your complete system now. This is crucial as already stated but I am just trying to help you understand the difference. I test out Roms and do nandroid backup of each after I get all my apps installed. Then I will go back and forth trying the different ones out until I find a favorite. Combination of nandroid and titanium backups is the key to successful fun ROM exparience.

miseryguts

Aug 31, 2012
Many thanks to all for the advice, I have a week off work so time for some homework I guess.. hopefully my next post won't have the word help in the thread title.

Astrix

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 7, 2012
There alots of thing to work around before flashing...etc.

Dont expect to get tutorials step by step in a single thread from out of the box till full customize custom rom.

For backup tutorial, you can follow this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=30337063

Agree with JP said...Lots of people will assist you, but once you stucked/bricked, they will gone.

My advice is before you attempt..
- Check how to return to stock.
- How to unroot.
- How to survive if you got bootloop of stuck somewhere...etc

We will be happy to assist you but it will great for yourself if you understand more about flashing.

Keep us posted of your progress :)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Many thanks to all for the advice, I have a week off work so time for some homework I guess.. hopefully my next post won't have the word help in the thread title.

If I were you, being a novice, I would just enjoy my tablet, and not even bother with any of this for now. to be honest you wont see any improvement in your tablet by flashing a custom rom or kernel, cause you don't even know what to look for, or even how your tablet currently performs. So no way would you know if your tablet perform better or worse, than it did as stock.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012

I made a very detailed Installation Guide for the CM7 Beta project for the TC970 tablet I use. It's located HERE, maybe useful to you, as the procedure is explained in detail.

ALL of the software in that thread should NOT be used on your device, though, as it is for a different tablet model. Just use the guide to explain and illustrate the steps you need to take on ClockWorkMod, etc.

Good luck! :) Leave a note in that thread if you find it useful.