no apps on stock tablet?

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
OK I have a huawei s7 tablet which I like a lot. But you guys pulled me to the dark side with all your multiple tablet purchases....... :) So I just bought a g tablet and a xoom as well. I'm deciding if I want to keep all 3 or not..... I love the xoom so far and also understand the immediate frustration with the software on the g tab. What a horrible UI. I got my g tablet from sears (they had to order it in) and for the life of me I can't find any app menu on it. I knew it didn't have the android market on it but does the stock version not even have its own limited app store? I was going to put a few apps on it and fool around with it before any rooting....but I see zero icons for loading anything.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
In the TnT drawer you can select classic display to get the traditional android screen. You should flash it anyways. The custom ROMs out there are way better.

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
So how do I find this t n t drawer? I can't find any options on this tablet to change the display settings......and there is nothing to download any apps. I find that strange...... normally even tabs without android market place have some sort of market of their own. It seems like this one has nothing.......

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
..................................Crickets....................................

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Sorry for the crickets... Welcome, we will get you all sorted out. Are you still stuck?

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for responding PB I always find you to be a big help on this forum here. I am still up in the air about the gtab. I already have a S7 (currently watching the 2.2 situation unfold) and a couple weeks ago bought the gtab and xoom on the same day ( I like my toys what can I say :) ). However I have to say that the S7 stock seems like 3 times the machine that the gtab is. I know the gtab potential and hardware is better but for a device that says Android on the box this thing is embarrassing. I was prepared for the poor off axis viewing etc....but as a stock tablet I find this thing almost unusable.
I know from the forum that you really need to root and rom this thing to get the most out of it but I figured I could sideload some apps and use it for pandora or small tasks in our house network....... Some online content comes up garbled and as gibberish and I can't find files that I load.
I am not too tech savvy and haven't decided if I want to root it or not..... I may just return it. I am debating about buying a brand new cnc machine right now as well and returning this tab may pay the shipping on the cnc.........
I will continue to follow this thread because I may keep it as well. Any advice is appreciated.

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
hey woodfiend, whats going on? you should start with this link in my opinion. it is really easy to follow and gives you everything you need to download a custom rom (vegan 5.1.1) which i am using now. its how i started and it takes about 30 minutes and you should definitely try it before returning. its fairly easy to get back to stock if you dont like it. i hope you enjoy

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1016695&highlight=blendblog

Last edited:

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
Thanks fridge, Yeah I am still debating about rooting it or not....... I did however just get an update to 1.1 I believe. Which gave me facebook, youtube and the gmarket. Which I would have thought would have been installed already...... I couldnt figure out for the life of my how an android device had no app market (even an unofficial one). So now at least this makes a bit more sense.

I was able to load angry birds and pandora..... however pandora just hangs and will not play (even tried different versions) And youtube would only play certain videos so I downloaded adobe and now nothing plays..... This thing makes me love my Xoom and S7 all the more. Ha I can see why everyone goes straight to rooting with this although I figured with the good hardware it has that it would beat my S7 even being stock. Nope.

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
tried other versions of adobe and now I can get most things to play on youtube...although it still hangs every once in a while. Pandora still doesn't play at all.... just sits on the pandora main screen.

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
Nope. stock hardware isn't good. It would be better with the new update if it was more stable. but u can't beat one of the custom Roms at the moment. Very stable and fast.