No longer an 8-inch display with Honeycomb

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Did you changed you default storage location settings? What is your Device dropdown shows on the first two entries in Astro? I have found that if you switch the default storage location, the Astro device drop down in the first two entries turn into Internal SD card and SD card (if I remember correctly). Using the default storage setting, my Astro device drop down first two entries are Internal Memory and External SD card. Click on the External SD card shows my external SD card folders and files on the right window.

I did not change anything at all. I basically started from a factory reset, loaded Astro File Manager and noticed I could not access my SD card anymore when I could access it just fine before I let Vizio convert my Operating System to Honeycomb.

You can also use the ES File Explorer to access your external SD card. ES File Explorer when first start will show your internal SD card storage. In my case, it shows /sdcard/ in the top directory entry. To get to the external SD card, you need to click the "up" button. The top directory entry becomes /. Now, select the folder "mnt". It shows two folders with title "sdcard" and "external_sdcard". Select "external_sdcard" will access your external sdcard directory with the top line directory entry showing /mnt/external_sdcard/. You can go back to your internal SD storage by click on the "up" button again and then select the "sdcard" folder. However, this time the top directory line entry becomes /mnt/sdcard/.

I tried exactly what you stated above and all that happens when I press the "Up" is I get the message near the bottom of the screen that says "Press again to exit."

I also loaded PocketCloud because that used to give me a way to access my SD card also and now with Visio Honeycomb all I get when I try to access the SD card in that program is a blank directory.

The only program I know of that I can use to access my SD card is "Gallery" and then all that shows me is what the very first screen of my Videos are and that does not do me much good because none of my Videos have the title of the video in the very first screen.

So the things I lost with the Visio Honeycomb update are: 1. Screen resolution. 2. Flash functionality. 3. SD Card access. and I wish that Vizio would give me a way to put Gingerbread back onto my VTAB1008.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Challenge accepted (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/vizio-tablets/37078-flash-vizio-vtab1008.html). As far as the SD card issue the consensus is that Vizio did a great job of making the SD card accessible and fixed one of the biggest drawback of the old Vizio OS, so I don't know what else to say there.

JP

Many thanks for that link and maybe there was also a problem with Gingerbread and the SD Card but I never messed with my SD Card until after an update or two. But now, with the Honeycomb update if it wasn't for the "Gallery" program I'd say I have no access to my SD card whatsoever.

What I want to do next is read up on the Vizio one year warranty and see if there is anyway I can get an RMA because the flash functionality is messed up and I no longer have easy access to my SD card.

Kail

Mar 5, 2012
I did not change anything at all. I basically started from a factory reset, loaded Astro File Manager and noticed I could not access my SD card anymore when I could access it just fine before I let Vizio convert my Operating System to Honeycomb.

I tried exactly what you stated above and all that happens when I press the "Up" is I get the message near the bottom of the screen that says "Press again to exit."

I found it quite odd that you cannot access your SD card with file managers but can do so with Gallery!

1) Did you see the SD card listd in your Settings/Storage display? It should have an SD CARD entry with sub listing of Total Space, Available space and Unmount SD card.

2) Did you see the two entries of Internal Memory and External SD card in the left Device drop down in the Astro app? When you tap the Home button, Is the top line directory listed as "/mnt/sdcard"? If yes, tap on the Up button once, then you should see the top line directory listed as "/mnt", and there should be a folder "external_sdcard" listed. What shows when you tap on it? (Directory is empty) or you files?

3) What is the top directory listed as when ES File Explorer first comes up? Is it "/sdcard/ or / ? If its /sdcard/, tap "up" (once) will change the directory to /, and if you tap "up" one more time it will ask you to "Press again to exit".

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Roger,

I just got off an IM with Vizio. I've been having the same issue with the browser you listed at #1. Tech support says a hard reset will fix that issue, also said there is no way to go back to 2.3. I wish I could return this tablet for a refund. The apps I really want only work with 2.3 and since Vizio doesn't provide an app compatibility tool to use prior to upgrade I'm out of luck.

Sorry about you not being able to get a refund. I myself am going to try and get an RMA but first I have to find what the warranty covers.

AND where you stated above
I just got off an IM with Vizio. I've been having the same issue with the browers you listed at #1. Tech support says a hard reset will fix that issue . . .

I learned the proper steps for doing a hard reset listed below and found out it did not fix the issue that Tech Support said it would:

Steps for doing a "Hard Reset" on a VTAB1008:

1. Start with the power off.

2. Press and hold both volume up and volume down.

3. Press and hold the power button for 3 seconds only.

4. In a little bit there should be a ! in the middle of the screen after it shows up you can release the volume buttons.

5. Press the home button in the bezel then follow the onscreen instructions.

BTW as frustrated as I am with the Vizio Honeycomb I am trying my best to remain professional.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
This is not true. You can access the external SD card in Astro! Its not in the usual place (Gingerbread) under the external folder. If you select the External SD card under Device on the left drop down, that's your external SD card listing.

Every time I try that, tapping on "External SD card" under the word "Device" I get "New Directory" and then "Directory does not exist. Create?" with the OK and Cancel buttons below that. Yet I know there are at least 3 directories on that SD card with about 23 movies in those 3 directories.

You can also access the External SD card under USB. Actually, its a better access method, as it does not rely on switching on the Vtab side. Some people have Windows driver install issue due to their Windows auto install problem. It actual uses a Windows native driver! All they need to do is to clear their old install list under Windows Device Manger.

Thanks and wow. Not only did that give me access to the SD card but it also gave me access to "Onboard Storage."

Too bad I haven't been able to get ASTRO, ES File Explorer or PocketCloud to find the SD card yet.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
I found it quite odd that you cannot access your SD card with file managers but can do so with Gallery!

While I still haven't been able to access my SD card with File Managers I have been able to access the SD card and the "Onboard Storage" with a USB cable. Now I'll try what you suggest.

1) Did you see the SD card listed in your Settings/Storage display? It should have an SD CARD entry with sub listing of Total Space, Available space and Unmount SD card.

Yes it has those just like you mentioned and I'll quote what it shows next:

Total space
14.83GB

Available space
5.96GB

etc.

2) Did you see the two entries of Internal Memory and External SD card in the left Device drop down in the Astro app? When you tap the Home button, Is the top line directory listed as "/mnt/sdcard"? If yes, tap on the Up button once, then you should see the top line directory listed as "/mnt", and there should be a folder "external_sdcard" listed. What shows when you tap on it? (Directory is empty) or your files?

The first directory is listed as /mnt/sdcard and pressing "Up" changes it to /mnt and then pressing external_sdcard shows all the files I have on my SD card so WOW I guess I can use that program to access my SD card after all and THANKS.

3) What is the top directory listed as when ES File Explorer first comes up? Is it "/sdcard/ or / ? If its /sdcard/, tap "up" (once) will change the directory to /, and if you tap "up" one more time it will ask you to "Press again to exit".

The first directory listed is /sdcard and a tap on "Up" only gives me the message "Press again to exit." A tap and hold on the "Up" takes me back to the Vizio Home screen.

At least you showed me that one of my two file managers works with my SD Card and it looks like ES File Manager will be a good program for working with my FTP site if I ever figure out how to get ES File Manager to see my SD card.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
not even a single reply ... Any one tried my way I used it on the tablet and with the app in the market I can control by going to home ... Any one else ? !

Sorry it took me so long to try your tip out but I was working on a few other problems caused by the Vizio Honeycrud update.

I learned I had to make a few changes in the setup so the button would stay on the screen while removing the System UI and while your tip worked for a few of my programs and it looked like it worked in PocketCloud too when I finally checked the available screen space in Pocket Cloud I was still missing an area 73 pixels high. Darn, if it wasn't for that your tip for getting full screen back would have worked everywhere I wanted it to work.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Kail

Mar 5, 2012
The first directory listed is /sdcard and a tap on "Up" only gives me the message "Press again to exit." A tap and hold on the "Up" takes me back to the Vizio Home screen.

At least you showed me that one of my two file managers works with my SD Card and it looks like ES File Manager will be a good program for working with my FTP site if I ever figure out how to get ES File Manager to see my SD card.

The reason that you did not get the / directory after the "up" tap is you have not checked "Enable up to Root directory", a setting of ES File Explorer! To do that, while you are in ES File Explorer, tap on the menu button at the bottom. That will bring up a menu you can select "Settings". Tap on that and you will find "Up to Root" under Path settings. Check that and you should be able to get to the root directory / when you tap on "up" while in the /sdcard/ directory.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Kail said:
The reason that you did not get the / directory after the "up" tap is you have not checked "Enable up to Root directory", a setting of ES File Explorer! To do that, while you are in ES File Explorer, tap on the menu button at the bottom. That will bring up a menu you can select "Settings". Tap on that and you will find "Up to Root" under Path settings. Check that and you should be able to get to the root directory / when you tap on "up" while in the /sdcard/ directory.

Thanks for the info and after I made that change I found my SD card at:
/mnt/external_sdcard/

Now when I get more time I'll mess with the FTP stuff in ES File Explorer and see how well that works for me.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Kail said:
This is not true. You can access the external SD card in Astro! Its not in the usual place (Gingerbread) under the external folder. If you select the External SD card under Device on the left drop down, that's your external SD card listing.

After pressing the menu button in the upper right hand corner of Astro I went into "Preferences"->Removable Storage->SD Card Directory and set that up for the correct directory.

Now I can access my SD card by just pressing "External SD card" under "Device." COOL

Now if I wonder if I can get PocketCloud to work with my SD card too.

Last edited:

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
there is a trick I made it my self but ... it`s only for watching a movie or reading a book ... other wise u will find it`s a useless trick

just Go to manage applications > all > force stop " System UI "

then
force stop "settings"

Actually that comes in very handy if you are using an IOGEAR GKM611B Bluetooth keyboard because that keyboard gives you the [HOME] and [BACK] keys on the upper left hand corner of the keyboard and the [MENU] is the exact same [MENU] key that Windows would use meaning the [MENU] key is just to the right of the [ALT] key that is just to the right of the spacebar.

P.S to restore the bar you must reboot the tablet ...

when you do that I found an app that can help us in controlling the tablet with out the bar .. going back needed root but home is working so its still useful

If you find my post useful please hit thank .. thats only what i ask :)

Too bad I can't thank your post a second time and too bad that fix only works for 1 of 2 applications that I paid for.