No more market access after factory reset & flashing Witstech A81G

agneslesage

Feb 13, 2011
Hello,

I need help for my new Witstech A81G.
After I had to do factory reset and then flashing it completely with the latest firmware, the following features do not work:
- when I go to market and try to download anything, the download stalls on "starting download"
- I also don't manage to sign into Google Talk. It says "Could not connect to server. Will retry shortly."
(the two might be connected...?)
Otherwise, seems to work OK and I connect to wifi, go into Gmail etc. Well... without Market, I dont have many apps!

My specs:
- This is a Witstech A81G with full USB bought from Merimobiles in January
Witstech A81G New Version with Full USB (3G via USB dongle) android 2.2 Gsensor
- It says model number MID, Android version 2.2, Kernel 2.6.32 Android MID #290, Build number MID-eng 2.2 JIEVIS eng.MID.20101124.105136 test-keys
- I have a 16GB mini SD card
- I am using it over wifi at home.
- otherwise I am on W7 64 bits.
- Myself am quite computer proficient, but this is first time I use android.

The history how things happened (it is about 3 weeks I am fighting with it):

1> Started all fine
I got the device and it was working fine. I have set up wifi, my Google account, and checked apps that were in.
I performed the "Witstech A81E Market full access fixed" proposed by Merimobiles, clearing cache and data, and got the Market working fully.
Then I installed few more apps, including App 2SD free, that let me move apps to my sd card.
Everything was fine, except I also installed apps for kids and let my son use it.

2> Factory reset
My son badly messed up and I could not understand much how to fix what he did. So I thought I rather do a factory reset from the tablet, and I did (settings/privacy). This is when the trouble started.
After that, I did the market fix again, and could see all apps... but never could download any.

3> Flashing the A81
I went one step further and flashed the device, following instructions from Gadgets and tablets (GadgetsAndTablets.com - Login using Android 2.2-1208 Firmware they propose (GadgetsAndTablets.com - Login).
I backed up the apps I had into my PC. I used another 8GB sd card and formatted it FAT 32 using HP formatting tool (that is only difference with the described process, they say 1GB and FAT), copied the mlo file to my SD card and then other files, and flashed it into the A81G: the flash worked, I got the "little lines" on top of screen. I had to do recalibration, reset wifi and google accounts.
And again, no download in Market.

4> Several variation attempts

I tried different things:
- flashed again and tried another Google account
- installed WitsSetup.apk proposed by the same forum, that is supposed to optimize the device to the firmware or opposite
GadgetsAndTablets.com - Login
- installed z4root
In any case, and even without trying the "market access fix", I can not downlaod anything from Market.
Also, in the course of these attempts I realized my Talk does not work (I did not try before).

5> More aborted attempts
Browsing around, I realize this might be because of a wrong ID suggesting this device could not work with Market. (although it should, even in limited mode, as it did out of the factory!)
I also have on my PC a backup of froyo.zip which I think is the one originally installed. I tried to copy / paste it into android system, of course did not work.
So I would like to try the more complicate fix (changing ID) as proposed here for example
[MOD] Fix Protected Apps not Showing on FroYo - xda-developers
But I run into 2 difficulties:
a> using the emulator: I don't have any keyboard access so can't type in
b> I installed Android SDK manager on my PC in order to run ADB. I installed Android SDK tools revision 9, android SDK platform tools revision 2, Google USB driver package revision 4. When I connect it, I now see in my device manager under "other devices" a "A81E" with no drivers - and it does not find drivers neither in the above package nor on the web.
So I am blocked again.

6> What more?
Well... i pray for help, because without any apps this device is just useless.
I would like to manage::
- either fix market & google talk access
- or somehow retsore factory set up the way it was - with market access (even limited).
- any idea also to go around problems to connect with ADB (USB drivers missing) or use keyboard on Emulator are welcome.
Note that I am with limited capacities, since:
- I dont have many programmes on and can't download anything from Market (though I have the backup of few Witstech original appps)
- I can't type into the emulator nor got ADB to work.

I hope to get support or this device will be thrown through the window without even beeing used 1 full week.

Thanks
Agnes

Last edited by a moderator:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
If you find that you can't sign into Google Talk AND Market, this sometimes is a problem on Google side. Make sure you can log into GTalk/Gmail from a computer.

agneslesage

Feb 13, 2011
Thanks for your suggestion. I ve just tried; I can login both from my PC - and Gmail from the tablet. So... must be another issue.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I am using the Nodus Mod of the 0110 build. I am not having that issue. The Nodus works on both A81-G and A81-E but not A81-G/Capacitive. It is fully rooted out of the blocks.
I can use all Google apps. (except GVoice)

You might try the 0110 build or the Nodus Mod

agneslesage

Feb 13, 2011
Hello and thanks for your input gurgle!
I am googling what is Nodus... but am finding mlany irrelated things only - I have to say I dont know
I have used the latest version on gadgetsandtablets Android 2.2-110110 Firmware
Now I am trying to download the one proposed byy Witstech on their chinese site... but 24h I somehow dont get it right, the CChinese african connection definitely is not what it is said to be :)
When you say you cant use Gvoice, is not Google Talk is sthg else? I would not mind not having Google Talk as long as I have Market -( but I understood it is many times connected.
Thanks, Agnes

cil111

Feb 18, 2011
Hi,

any solution found ?

have your same prob... have flashed three firmwares but Gtalk and Market still not working...

also tried to load up some apps via the developer tools but the wits seems not to connect to my PC.... was using droid explorer to try to load up at least the App installer... but no luck..

i think i have ended up with just a pretty expensive photo frame at this rate without any apps loaded up..

any help appreciated..

thanks

agneslesage

Feb 13, 2011
Hello

After much of struggling, I have found out the problem was not my tablet, but my ADSL access.

How I found out: I setup some AVD emulator on my PC,; and none of them was working. What confused me is I tried also connecting in another place, but it was not working... because I am in a small country (Lesotho) with a single ADSL ISP provider, and all use the same access and even same modem (a ZTE with annying securioty features).
But finally I found out that I could connect straight away with my tablet as well as AVD emulator, from a webcafe that uses 3G over Wimax (sic!)

What happens is that market as well as GTalk need access on ports 5228, and some routers are not set up for this, and some ISP disallow it completely.
So, there may be other reasons why you can't connect, but think of your connection, try another ones at various access points to be sure.

So I have tried some ways around, and here is what I found.

What does not work for me:

- one way would be to connect the tablet via 3G with he USB dongle, but I have not succeeeded
3G dongle on Witstech A81G Android Tablet - Android Forums
GadgetsAndTablets.com - View topic - 3G USB Modem & Dongles on A81E

- Another way indeed would be to connect the Witsetech via USB, but I have not managed to get any driver that works with it.

- I8 have tried port forwarding on my router, but did not get it to work. Though that should be the best solution in my case. I am wondering if the ISP blocks it (probably).

What works for me:

- I have found one source of .apk that I can install on my tablet without Market access, that is
Android Freeware: Best and Free Software for Android mobile platform

- I have also managed a workaround, through connectign to market via an AVD emulator on my PC using 3G connection, and then transferring to the tablet.

1> setup an AVD emulator with LMarket operational on my PC
There are various images available, I am not sure finally which one I took of the 2.2 :
2.2:
Anything simple: How to use Android Market on Android Emulator 2.2
Android - AVD 2.2 with Market, su and busybox
One of these instructions refers tot he HTC firmware that is good:
HTC - Developer Center
ALso you have based on 1.5 or 1.6:
Tech Droid: Android Market on Emulator
How To Enable the Android Market in the Google Android Emulator - How-To Geek
Running Android Market on emulator: no download issue : ANDROID SDKs

2> So on the AVD, if I use a 3G connection that does not block the 45228 ports as my ADSL connection fdoes, I do access market and then I downlaod whatever software I need.

3> Then here is how I get the .apk file transferred to my tablet:
I ve found ideas how to do this, with the thread :ScrollTabletForum.co.uk | Scroll Tablet PC • View topic - Extracting apk files from img files, but now do it my way:
- I use Astro manager to backup the apps from the AVD emulator on my PC, it puts the .apk files on my SD virtual device in /sdcard/backup/apps
- Then I use also Astro to access those files and mail them to myself (so I could access from the tablet). Alternatively, iot proposes a FTP system.
But sometimes would not work well so I ve found another way to do:
- I use ADB command to pull the files from the AVD on my PC:
The command is simple: from the directory where my SDK is installed (in my case c:\program files(x86)\android\android-sdk-windows\tools\) I go into the backup directory where Astro put the fiels (/sdcard/backup/apps) and pull the files into another directory I want (in that case, I put "apps" thart cill be under "tools")
c:\program files(x86)\android\android-sdk-windows\tools> adb pull /sdcard/backup/apps apps
That copies all the backed up .apk files on my PC.
Then I copy them onto a small mini-USB card that I could connect to my PC through an adaptor, and back to the tablet.

Pff!!!Not easy. But at least I solved my problem.
Now what I am not sure is if I can do this with paid apps (I originally bought the tablet to use as GPS!)

- Or... simplier, I just go to an access point where I dont have the problem with the internet connection and ports 5228, and download from market directly on my tablet.

I hope that helped. It took me so long to find a solution, I am happy to share it!
So we dont end up with expensive picture frames...
I ve found the support of Witstech, asw ell as Mertimobiles, was very poor here. Not mentionning Google that really does not help with so many people struggling with Market access. This issue of 5228 port forwarding is documented somewhere, but really not pushed to the attnetion of people.

Agnes

Last edited:

cil111

Feb 18, 2011
thanks :) that is a lot to try and work out, but will do so..

i have also mailed witstech and they should be sending some instructions... will post here if it is something that works...I just hope it is not the fix to get the full market access :0

actually what worked for me (to a point) is downloading apps from a warez source.... then actually mailing them to the account i have on the tab...

it then opens up the attachment and installs.... the only issue it seems that they would be older versions of the apps thus they not always work properly and even worse i cannot yet transfer to the Sd Card...

cil111

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks

will see...

it is funny because a mate of mine has an HTC wildfire and has access to the market via wifi..

sometimes I wonder if it is something to do with the tab or its firmware...

and like you i come from a small country (Malta) so access is pretty similar...

but have a lot of mates with HTC's and even other tabs (Viewsonic) with no access probs...

that is why I am blaming the tab or its firmware...

agneslesage

Feb 13, 2011
Well, it is not all wifi access that are faulty... and it is only one hypothesis (apparently there are many other possible issues not with Witstech in particular, but with Android market access in general). Depending on the ISP and the ADSL router.
The way to check may be to check your friends' HTC over your wifi connection. Because on 3G it is dfifferent.
If it works: then it is not your wifi that is faulty.
If it is not the wifi that is faulty, then you may try the trick to install on your PC an AVD emulator and then transfer the backed up .apk files.
Or you may also do that from your friends HTC...
In any case, the freeware website above is a good source of .apk (and easier than the sharing sites)
Anyhow... i wish you find out... and survive with apps anyhow!
Agnes

cil111

Feb 18, 2011
yep will do that..

should have my own HTC desire by the end of the week so I can get that one off the list...

will post up and see if it is Wifi related once i verify that..

cil111

Feb 18, 2011
Hi Agnes

rather weird but I got the market working.

was reading in some forum that you have to root the tab after leaving the battery out overnight, and root without the battery in place and without moving the power cable

basically I did that, installed the latest firmware and tried to connect to Gtalk and Market... and it did...

hope it helps you..

I was actually rather surprised that leaving the battery out overnight would actually make some sort of difference..

as someone in this forum i was reading in commented, it must be some china thing :)

hope it helps

Ian

agneslesage

Feb 13, 2011
Hello Ian
I have unrooted, left the battery out and rerooted now, but it seems the trick does not do it for me... Well, it can't if my connection does njot allow anyhow.
As you say, this is very weired... like "not oving the power cable", or "full nigt" (Asia time!?)
Anyhow, what counts is i works! I am glad for you.
On my side I ve seen my provider and they are supposed to open the port 5228 shortly for me... let us see (that one is an African thing :)
Another wiered thing is that in fact, Market had worked with me 2 months ago...

cil111

Feb 18, 2011
sorry to hear that... must be your connection then...

but i was sure it was not mine because we have access to the market through WIFI and our ISP...

hope you get it sorted