No Sound When Screen Shows Up, But Can Hear Sound on Sleep Mode

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
Hello guys,

I am facing a strange problem.
Whenever the screen shows any image, I can hear no sound. If the screen is black (sleep mode), I can hear the sound of a music clip, for instance.
Here's how it happened.
My 9742 tablet was working ok. Sound, videos, apps etc.
My 6 year old son was playing games with it and watching mp4 videos.
Next day, I noticed I could not get any sound out of the tablet: neither from speakers, neither from earphone.
Also, I was not able to play any mp4 videos on MXPlayer or on the default video player.
I reinstalled my ROM, reinstalled MXPlayer, but could get no results.
I tried to play a mp3 file and still got any sound. However, when I pressed the power button to go to the sleep mode, the sound suddenly appeared! But when I press the power button again, the sound disappears.
In short: if the screen is black (sleep mode), I get sound. If anything shows up on the screen (even before I unlock the system), I can't get any sound!
Could anyone help me?
Thanks in advance!!
Myuki

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
Traveller, yes, the Silent Mode is set to OFF. Just for the record: I tried to switch the silent mode to "Mute" to check if anything would change. I could still get no sound when the screen was on. However, even with the Silent Mode set to "MUTE", I still get sounds on the Sleep Mode ! Is it supposed to happen?
Or is it another sympthom for the problem?
Thanks for your help, again!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I noticed that you have restored your ROM. How did you restore it, and did you do a factory reset before attempting the restore?

You may have to restore from your system dump to correct this, if a factory reset doesn't work.

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
Traveller, I restored using the restore option on CWM. Before, I did the factory reset via CWM.
I used the latest backup image I had (from mid november, almost 2 months before the problem happened).

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Like I said, you may have to restore from your system dump to correct this. Assuming of course it can be corrected. It's possible your Coby went haywire internally and thus you'd have to get it exchanged.

Before you do that, do JUST the factory reset in Android, and repeat the process in ClockworkMod.

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
Traveller1701: Here's what I have tried:
1) factory reset in android (settings tab), reboot (problem remains the same)
2) Using CWM: factory reset/wipe data; wipe davlik; wipe cache; restore image; reboot (problem remais the same)

Should I try any other combination? Thank you.

Myuki

Aug 4, 2012
Hello, there.
My Coby tablet has a will of its own. Suddenly, the sound came back to normal. I haven't installed any new apps or havent' done anything different. It just happened.
Since I am glad it is working again, I will accept living without knowing what the problem was. Thanks again for your help!!
:)

ZippedGnome

Jan 20, 2014
i have a mid7042 and its doing the same thimg cant figure out y and i really want to root travler if you could help it would be great i domt think this one would make a good dump file tho bc of the sound problem i got it second hand and the sond worked fine before i know for a fact but now only when on sleep mode not even on headphones please any help would be greaat