No upgrade to 2.02 available

UserName619

Feb 28, 2011
Over the weekend I got one of the "Sylvania 7" Mini Tablet EXPRESS"'es because it finally fell into the right price point for me. I found that it is currently on DG2.01, and it looks like based on some posts that 2.02 is available with some updates/fixes. I've clicked "check for updates" and it always says I have the latest version. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to click while its upside down and the sun is at a 27 degree angle to the earths axis while the clouds are in a horizontal............

Anyway. Is there anything else I can do to get the firmware upgraded?

Also I don't have the magical sensor that turns the screen as I rotate it, I actually have to push the button. Is there anything other then a minor convenience that I am missing out on? I saw a few posts that apparently it comes with some and not with others. If this unit works other then that issue I don't want to try and swap it for a feature that doesn't really make a difference. Thanks!

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
What is the model number on that device? I just heard about this so called "Express" model this weekend and curious for some more details on it. It looks about the same.

It looks like mine but without the HDMI out.

UserName619

Feb 28, 2011
The UPC on the box is SYTABEX7. Other then that the device isn't labelled, so I wouldn't know where to look for a model number. And you are correct - No HDMI port on it. Power, Headphone Jack, MicroSD, Host and OTG USB Ports are what it has.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Anyway. Is there anything else I can do to get the firmware upgraded?

Way back at the beginning of this thread there is some information on where/what the upgrade comes from http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-news/2207-sylvania-synet7lp-work-progress-3.html

I would check that you can actually connect to that site. We still haven't been able to figure out how to sideload (install from SD card) the system.bin that is download, expanded, and installed.

There are also other comments that you have to repeatedly request the update. My earlier device (not the Express) downloaded it but failed to install and needed to be returned.

Last edited:

loungelizard

Mar 1, 2011
I picked one up yesterday at CVS for $100. I returned it today. It was my first experience with Android and tablets so I'm certainly no pro. But it seems slow and sluggish to stylus movements (scrolling, clicking, etc.) I found no way to download apps other than the 3 that are offered. I couldn't download books. It always said download failed. I plugged it into the usb port on my PC and it wasn't recognized. I tried both ports but my PC didn't even know it was there. So all in all I figured I'd wait a bit longer for something a bit newer and slicker. LL

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Ok. now I am confused. I also just got the $99 tablet @ CVS. I love it! But you said that your model was listed as SYTABEX7 on the box. mine is too. but if you go into settings and scroll down to About Device, it says the Model Number is SYNET7LP. mine has Firmware Ver. DG2.01 and Kernal Ver 2.6.32.9 zhouli@judy-pc #31

I am going to try to root it this week. But I want to make sure I am doing it the right way for the right device. Could it be that the box has the SYTABEX7 becauce the device has the 50% memory and no HDMI, but the rest of the hardware is the same and still has the SYNET7LP listed in the software?

naysses

Nov 8, 2010
Ok. now I am confused. I also just got the $99 tablet @ CVS. I love it! But you said that your model was listed as SYTABEX7 on the box. mine is too. but if you go into settings and scroll down to About Device, it says the Model Number is SYNET7LP. mine has Firmware Ver. DG2.01 and Kernal Ver 2.6.32.9 zhouli@judy-pc #31

I am going to try to root it this week. But I want to make sure I am doing it the right way for the right device. Could it be that the box has the SYTABEX7 becauce the device has the 50% memory and no HDMI, but the rest of the hardware is the same and still has the SYNET7LP listed in the software?

I got one.... mine says:
Model number: SYNET7LP
Firmware version: DG2.02
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 warits@msuG #43

BTW, mine has HDMI

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Mine doesn't have the G Sensor. so i have to hit the button to rotate the screen.
What did you pay for it and where?

MGGopher

Mar 1, 2011
Mine doesn't have the G Sensor. so i have to hit the button to rotate the screen.
What did you pay for it and where?

No accelerometer, HDMI out, or available firmware updates on mine either. I picked mine up for $99 at CVS this weekend. Seems like a scaled-down version of the ones which have been floating around since BF. Still, for what it is, I'm actually pretty happy with it and excited for developing communities to start springing up...at the $99 price point, I have to think a few ppl jumped on this.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
No pictures I see.. There is data on this tablet though..

CVS advert running still until March 5th 2011, I was just there yesterday..

cvs10.png

cliffordtrue

Nov 27, 2010
I see my unit says there is an update available this morning! (Non-Express unit that is) Since I have mine rooted and the market hack working I may wait until someone else updates theirs before I give it a try or at least until I am done with work today :)

If you upgrade, please let us know how it works for you.

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
I see the update as well. I'm attempting to do the update, but my work wireless internet is a poor connection.

Turns out to be a kernal update to 2.6.32.9

Last edited:

cliffordtrue

Nov 27, 2010
I see the update as well. I'm attempting to do the update, but my work wireless internet is a poor connection.

Turns out to be a kernal update to 2.6.32.9

Mine too, but now it says there is another update. I am downloading now. (Have it at work today)

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
Mine did that several times, it probably is just a problem with the OTA server.
However, I am doing another update just for fun, and this one is taking a while.
Crossing fingers...

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
I think there is a problem with their server, mine keeps saying there is an update available.