Noob Question

Kingram1952

Jan 16, 2012
I have a Acer Iconia A500 8 GB. When I download apps everything goes to Internal storage , how do I use my micro Sd card ? I have a 16 card installed.
Thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
On honeycomb, apps are only stored in main memory. Use your Microsd for music and movies.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
On some devices with earlier version of Honeycomb, you can move apps to sdcard partition (Apps2SD), but it will still use internal space (different partition tho).

To use an external SD, you need Link2SD, which requires a rooted device to work. I haven't tested it on A500 tho.

Last edited:

Kingram1952

Jan 16, 2012
On honeycomb, apps are only stored in main memory. Use your Microsd for music and movies.
How do I direct these to MicroSD Card when saving/ downloading them. Does this apply to pictures as well ?

Last edited:

emagin

Jan 21, 2012
I have installed this but nothing happens when I click on a simple app to move it
I get taken to the Application Info page where I see Force Stop and Uninstall buttons.
Then what???
Can't do anything from there to MOVE the app.

I can see /mnt/external_sd
I get notified "External SD Card Installed"
I can see contents of external_sd with ESExplorer or other file browsers

Thank you for the help!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I have installed this but nothing happens when I click on a simple app to move it
I get taken to the Application Info page where I see Force Stop and Uninstall buttons.
Then what???
Can't do anything from there to MOVE the app.

I can see /mnt/external_sd
I get notified "External SD Card Installed"
I can see contents of external_sd with ESExplorer or other file browsers

Thank you for the help!

The answer was given in post #2 of this thread.

emagin

Jan 21, 2012
Thank you Icebike. Is this by design?
I have 32gb of space for what exactly?? All my content (and I have a lot) is not coming from me.
It is coming from Beyondpod, Google reader cache, EarthENC maps, charts, google maps cache etc.
I need to store tons of data locally upon sync and it's the apps that control that, I can't get in there to manually do that.

Are there any options?
Is it possible to root device and then hack the default cache locations within the OS?

Thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Yes it is by design. Its not a bug. Its not changing in ICS.

32Gigs is a boatload of storage.

You can put your media, music, videos, pictures, documents, on the MicroSD card and never have them consume internal space.

Google reader and Google Listen just doesn't take up all that much space (they mostly works off of the Google cloud).

You can ***** at BeyondPod and other software developers that store a lot of data, and maybe get them to allow storage of content to the external microSD. I've had some success emailing developers for that in the past. Google won't pay attention, but other developers usually do.

Cache is better left to the management of the tablet, It will free cache when it needs space. You can also control how much cache to use in some apps.

Actually, you are better off putting your big media on the microsd, and then stop worrying about it, other than to clear your download directory once in a while. This is not something you need to micro manage.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
..., other than to clear your download directory once in a while. ...

Not to hijack, but I've been meaning to ask this question. What is one actually seeing from the download app? For example, my wife emailed me a picture. I downloaded it and then moved to my picture folder on my external. When I tap on the download app, I still "see" it there.
If I've moved things out of my download folder, is it safe to delete them from within the app? It looks like I have alot of stuff in there, but it's empty. I've never been sure if I would delete the file or just some kind of "pointer" or whatever it's called.
Thanks.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Best I can tell, the Downloads app simply is a list of things were downloaded, and stored (usually in your Downloads directory).
If you have trouble finding things you download, open this app and you get a list.

But the list points to where you downloaded and stored the file, and once you move it, it has no idea where it is located.
It might offer to download it again in this case, but in my experience it usually fails for one reason or another.