nook color 1.1.0 rooted .... no android settings

tocoty

Jan 4, 2011
i have posted a couple of threads over the last week or so and the responses have directed me to make some settings that are to be found in the android settings ie language & keyboard, wireless & networks, accounts and sync ... same settings found on my android phone .... but i do not have such setting per se as a result of the root, etc. for example, when i download alternative keyboards from the market, i can not use them because i cannot access "language & keyboard" within any settings content... any suggestions how i can get access to the basic android settings?? thanks ... sorry this was so long

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
The NC is running a modified version of android 2.1 and doesn't have the settings menu you normally see in a stock android (eclair) 2.0, 2.1 version. Once rooted you will have an app called Nook Color Tools, which serves the same purpose as the stock android settings.

Open Nook Color Tools and press settings, you will find all the settings you need there.

tocoty

Jan 4, 2011
Rick,
When i enter nook color tools, among the otions are two... settings android.com
When i click one i get" set gsm/umts band" in a transarent window; when i click the second settings. Android.com, i get a device setting page which is the same one as in basic book color settings.
I think the first settins tab that leafs mr to the" set gsm/umts band settings is messed up...
Any thoughtd

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Rick,
When i enter nook color tools, among the otions are two... settings android.com
When i click one i get" set gsm/umts band" in a transarent window; when i click the second settings. Android.com, i get a device setting page which is the same one as in basic book color settings.
I think the first settins tab that leafs mr to the" set gsm/umts band settings is messed up...
Any thoughtd

Ok I don't follow you. When you open Nook Color Tools you should see a button "All settings".

-How did you root your Nook Color?
-How do you open Nook Color Tools?

tocoty

Jan 4, 2011
rico, i apologize for that garbage of a repluy... i was on the cn and nothing was working right.

here is my situation ... when i go to color nook tools, i find many tabs , among which are two tabs for settings , underneath each setting tab is"com.android.settings".
when i tap the first tab,i get the nook "device Setting " page
when i type the second tab, i get a transparent type gray scree with "setGSN/UMTS band" at the top ... and automatic, euro bans, usa band, japan bans aus band and aus2 band listings underneath .... tapping anyone of these listings results in a "unsuccessful" feedback.

i can find no orther "settings" tab under color nook tools.

any thoughts ?????
everywhat this problem is ...is why i have been so stumped in resent posts when advised to go to android settings ....
thanks so much

tocoty

Jan 4, 2011
i had a rooted cn and used the custom rom instructions to install firmware 1.1.0

tocoty

Jan 4, 2011
yep, i have two buttons upon opening 1. choose keyboard and 2. all settings. when i enter all settings i get the two setting tabs as described below ...along with other tabs.

tocoty

Jan 4, 2011
i enter cn tools via a shortcut of the app ...placed on my home screen.

tocoty

Jan 4, 2011
when i open color nook tools, io see two options: choose keyboard and all settings.
first my color nook was rooted when i had 1.0.1 firmware on it .... i used the 1.1.0 custom rom to install the 1.10 update per this forum. everything works great, but i continue to run into problems or installs that re me to android settings, which i can't get to.

when i choose nookcolor tools, the following happens ...

i get a page with two options on it : choose keyboard & all settings

if i press choose keyboard, i get two options ... multi touch keyboard or gingerbread keyboard ( no other keyboard apps are listed ... even though i have downloaded 2 others from the market)

when i press the "all settings" tab ... i get a long list of "tabs" starting with "about your nookcolor" and ending with a tab "WIRELESS (com.android . settings"
with 23 other tabs in between.

there are two tabs named "Settings com.android.settings" .... i assume this is where i should find the traditional android setting ie language & keyboard, sound & display, etc

when i punch the first Settings tab, i get the one page DEVICE SETTINGS ... as in the color nook settings; when i push the 2 ed SETTINGS tab, i get a 2inch by 2 inch semi transparent square in the middle of the nook scree with the following heading>>>SET GSM/UMTS band ... followed by 6 options : automatic, euro band, usa band, japan band, aus band and aus2 band. when i punch any of these i get an 'unsuccessful message".

THERAFTER I BACK OUT VIA BUTTON SAVIOR AND IT RETURNS ME TO THE screen with choose keyboard and all settings.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
If you are trying to use an alternate keyboard on an autnootered nook, I believe you are going to have to stick with stock. I tried installing smart keyboard when I was on an un-rommed rooted nook, didn't work. The settings are not that of an android phone on an autonootered nook and you prolly will not find the settings you are looking for in nook color tools. If you want those settings you will have to install a custom rom which is a little risky but not to hard. If you want to do so, I recommend phiremod beta2 for stability and ease of install. Ask us with questions.

tocoty

Jan 4, 2011
thanks, it's not really about installing a different key board.
the issue is primarily that i don't have access to any of the traditional android settings. on several other minor occasions, moderators have told me to go to "settings android " under nook tools ....theyu seem to indicate that it is there on my setup, it is not ... infact i'm getting some crazy "set GSM/UMTS band" popup

based on the moderator's comments, i should be able to get to some form of android settings ... but no can

tocoty

Jan 4, 2011
how can i take a screen shot AND post same on this board ...that might help explain what i'm findg under "settings android"

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
You should be able to take a screen shot by holding "N" and quickly tapping the volume down key. It will save a screen shot to your gallery.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I'm in the same boat as tocoty.. So you aren't crazy, dude =) I lauch Nook Tools, see "keyboard" and "all settings" Nothing, anywhere, lists an alternate keyboard. Long tapping in a text window never brings up the "choose keyboard" menu people have mentioned elsewhere.