Nook Color First Impressions, Pictures and Review

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
You know what I am bummed about...that when I unpackaged my NC it didn't have any backgrounds on it that looked ANYTHING like Avi's :p
Really ? Mine was loaded with Megan Fox out of box [eee, nice rhyming :p ]

I am assuming that your NC didn't come with that microfiber cloth Avi and that came with the screen protector???
Nope. And I have mentioned it that it cost me $16 extra.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Very nice review avi! Really complete and covering the whole range of what one can do with the NC so far.
Thank you very much rico :D I get very happy when mods like you like my work. I feel my hardwork paid off :)

One of the top 5 I've read on the net. Thanks and this is definitely getting a sticky. :)
Once again thank you very much :D

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
@all - Once again thank you very much for your support guys. Can't tell you how much I am glad :D

btw I missed about Bluetooth chip. Added it now ;)

dpakrr

Feb 8, 2011
hey mate, great review.

just wondering what you think about the 7" screen size form factor? ive browsed and sent emails on my 3" phone, so 7" is big enough. but is 7" sufficient for editing and creating documents or is it uncomfortable?

thanks!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'll answer and say that for limited use it works just fine. I wouldn't wan't to work for a law firm and have this be my primary method of writing legal briefs or be an accountant doing corporate taxes in a spreadsheet but if you are using it for short burts 7" is fine. You can easily compose email, read documents or browse through a power point but to get real work done you will probably wan't something a little bigger with a keyboard.

dpakrr

Feb 8, 2011
hey mate. cheer for your reply on the thread.

i was wondering if there is any chance you could tell me the dimensions of the screen. i know its 7" but maybe dimensions of height and width of just the display would be great and would give me a good idea of how big a 7" screen is.

i saw a thread where people posted screens of their nook color home screen. are those screenshots the same as the size of the display?

cheers if you could be of any help for the above. :D

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I guess the size of the screen shot depends on the size of the screen you are looking at it on and your zoom level, and if that shot is a thumb nail ;)

The full size images such as this http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/8547-just-screenshoots-3.html#post52715 (currently the last post in the thread) are the actual size when viewed on and IE 8 browser @100% on a 19" 4:3 monitor as displayed (if you click on it it goes larger than actual size).

Or you could just trace out the measurements above but pretty much yeah, full size on the bigger images on the thread above.

dpakrr

Feb 8, 2011
cheers for your replies guys. i had a look at the screenshot but it kinda looked too big. might have to do with me using firefox and having a 24" monitor.

anyways, i googled the nook color screen dimensions and somebody has asked the same question on the b&n forums and the reply was "the backlit area (i.e.; area with actual pixels) is exactly 7" diagonal, and you're very close with your estimates: 6-1/16" x 3-9/16". "

which turns out to be 15.4cm x 9.05cm. i traced it out on a paper lol and kinda got an idea of how big the screen would be and i think its big enough.

appreciate all your help. now all i gotta do is wait for payday which is a couple of days away. i just hope i dont change my mind before that :D

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
IMO it is good for editing/creating documents occasionally, but not on long run.

But I am really surprised that I can type faster and bit comfortably on landscape mode, not as I expected.