Nook Color for True Noobs

kimdvm

Feb 12, 2011
OK, so not only am I a NC newbie, I'm new to android as well. I've found that as I search these forums and other sources that sometimes people assume we know stuff that we may not, like what an adb driver is and how to install one. Some of you might not have used a command line or DOS commands before. Or maybe you're wondering how to install shortcuts on your desktop. You get the picture.

So I'm hoping this thread will contain 3 things. 1) How-tos 2)How do I . . . questions and answers and 3)apps that you like/apps that work and apps that you don't like/don't work. I realize all of these things are spread around in different places but I'm hoping we can amass enough information in one place for me to put together a users guide.

So my 1st post (after this one) will be a Noobs guide to rooting the NC, installing a launcher, and installing/running Honeycomb. :cool:

kimdvm

Feb 12, 2011
How to:
1) Root Nook Color
2) Install a Launcher
3) Install run Honeycomb from microSD Card

Note: I realize there are a many other sources out there including some on this forum. The links and instructions I’m listing are simply the ones that worked for me.

Root Your Nook Color

If you want to know why you’d want to root your nook and/or what rooting does check out –
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/4302-root-not-root.html or
Hack The Nook | How to Hack and Root Your Nook

If you haven’t already checked out this sticky you’ll want to. www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/3458-nookcolor-useful-links-frequently-asked-questions-read-first.html
Among other things there’s a link to nookdevs.com for rooting instructions. The instructions listed below are a little simpler and easier to follow IMHO.

This is the guide I used to root my nook - How to hack the $250 Nook Color into a full Android tablet | TechRepublic. The following pertain to Windows OS go here NookColor Rooting - nookDevs for Mac or Linux instructions. My notes are added in orange.

Before you begin, you’ll also need a MicroSD card (with an SD adapter). It will need to be at least 128MB, but I’d recommend a 1GB card so that you’ve got plenty of room. (I used a 4GB card which I used later to run Honeycomb. I’m planning to go to a bigger card so that I have more storage but the 4GB card worked fine for both rooting and running Honeycomb.) You’ll also need an SD card adapter to connect the SD card to your computer, unless your computer has an SD card slot built-in. (In case that wasn’t clear – You need 1) an SD card reader - unless you have one built into your computer, 2) a MicroSD card, 3) an adapter that will allow you to put the microSD card into the SD card reader. I bought a MicroSD card packaged with an adapter)
Now, here are the steps:

1. Charge up and then power on your Nook Color and register your Barnes & Noble account on the device (you won’t be able to do this step after you root it).
  2. Mount your SD card on your Windows PC and make sure all of the files are cleared off of it. Go into My Computer and check the drive letter of the SD card.
  3. Download Win32DiskImager and then extract the ZIP file.
  4. On the Nook Color, go to Settings | Device Info | About Your Nook Color and check “Software version”
  5. Next you need to download a little program called “auto nooter” (by GabrialDestruir) that creates a bootable SD card image for booting the Nook Color. However, the version you need to download will depend on the software version of your Nook Color. For example, if you’re running Nook 1.0.0 then you need to download auto-nooter-2.12.18.img.zip and if you’re running Nook 1.0.1 then you need to download auto-nooter-2.12.25.img.zip. For later versions, see the NookDevs guide for links.
  6. Once you’ve downloaded your version of auto-nooter, unzip it and note the location.
  7. Open Win32DiskImage.exe
  8. Click the folder icon to select the auto-nooter file that you just downloaded and unzipped.
  9. Click the Device drop-down and select the drive letter of SD card (from Step 2).
  10. Click the Write button. The software will erase the MicroSD card and replace its contents with the bootable Android files. Once it has completed, you can click Exit.
  11. Remove the SD/MicroSD card from your computer.
  12. Hold down the power button on your Nook Color and then select “Power off”
  13. Insert the MicroSD card into the Nook Color (The MicroSD slot is on the back in the lower right corner underneath the little gray “Nook” door.)
  14. Plug the Nook’s USB cable into the PC and into the Nook Color. This will cause the Nook Color to boot. (The Nook’s power cable may blink and Windows may complain about missing drivers.)
  15. If you’re using auto-nooter for Nook 1.01 or later, then after the root process is completed it will automatically boot into the boot animation and the new boot sequence.
  16. If you’re using auto-nooter for Nook 1.0.0 then once the device shows up in Windows, wait 5 minutes for the scripts to finish running and then disconnect the USB cable, remove the MicroSD card, and hold down the power button for 15 seconds to boot the Nook Color. It will boot into the Nook logo animation and the new boot sequence.
  17. Once the Nook Color boots you’ll see the Android logo and welcome message. Tap the robot.
  18. As Darmeen correctly pointed out, you will skip need to set your location before logging in. If you go to "Enable Market" section of NookColor Rooting - nookDevs you will find detailed instructions. There is not space for me to list them all here.
  19. I was unable to install Market apps from the nook until I manually installed a launcher. Instructions on how to do this to follow:
Install a Launcher

The launchers that I saw mentioned the most are HelixLauncher, LauncherPro, and Zeam you can do your own research and decide which you like best. I ended up using HelixLauncher simply because it was the only one I could download at the time (there were bandwidth limit issues with the others) and I was impatient. The directions apply to any of the launchers you want to use.

In order to manually install apks on your NC, you will need ADB drivers on your Windows computer. Go here forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=910008 and follow the instructions to install the combo pack. Trust me when I say this will save you hours of frustration. Note: I had to go to my device manager, click on update driver, and manually point it to the driver file before this worked.

These instructions are based on Rico2001’s Zeam installation instuctions. It includes screenshots, so you might want to take a look. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/3636-zeam-launcher-nook-color.html

-Download launcher apk file of your choice:
-Connect your NC via micro usb cable to your computer
-Push n (home) button and unlock your NC
-Your NC will display you have entered usb mode
-Open your command prompt (cmd) and go to your "android-sdk-windows" folder
· Press windows button and type cmd or go to all programs-accessories-command prompt
· Type cd c:\android-sdk-windows (where c is the drive that contains the folder. If it is not on the c drive than you need to change to the appropriate drive first i.e. type d: to go to the d drive)

-Type adb.exe kill-server
-Type adb.exe remount (this will ready your NC to receive commands)
-Type adb install mylauncher.apk (substitute the name of your apk for mylauncher)
-App will install and you should see "success" displayed in cmd
-Close windows and unplug NC

You should now be able to download and install from the android market on your NC as well as use the other launcher features.

Install run Honeycomb from microSD Card

nookdevs.com/Nookie_Honeycomb:_Burning_a_bootable_SD_card

OK, for this I just followed the instructions in the link above except that I used the Win32DiskImager program that I used for rooting instead of WinImage.

The only other things worth noting are:

1) Pressing the power button doesn’t power off your NC completely just puts it to sleep. To power off, you need to press and hold the power button until the screen blurs then press the “power off” button that appears. You will want to power off completely when switching between Honeycomb and your rooted NC.
2) As you may have gathered, since Honeycomb is running off a card, you will not have access to your NC functions such as the reader (aside from using the browser and any apps you install) when running Honeycomb.

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Welcome to the forums!

Nice start, but I don't know if I would include ANYTHING honeycomb related, even booting to sd, in something you are aiming at 'True Noobs' as you state.

Also, in your final notes, you mention that "you need to press and hold the power button and continue to hold it while you press the “power off” button that appears" which is not wholly accurate. You have to hold in the power button until the screen blurs. You can let go and select the "power off" option then.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Welcome to the forums!

Nice start, but I don't know if I would include ANYTHING honeycomb related, even booting to sd, in something you are aiming at 'True Noobs' as you state.

Also, in your final notes, you mention that "you need to press and hold the power button and continue to hold it while you press the “power off” button that appears" which is not wholly accurate. You have to hold in the power button until the screen blurs. You can let go and select the "power off" option then.

Oh oh you knowalotofthings, facemam!
Gloria

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Step 15 is wrong.

You do not unplug the USB cable until the NC is at home screen. If you unplug the cable early we have seen people with botched nooter's...and no one wants to botch a nooter.

but why are we posting instructions AGAIN?

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I just stopped by to say wellcome... .it doesn't look you need any help. Don't forget to vote for your new toy as best gadget for2010. RICO posted the thread with the link for voting. Then relax, enjoy your nook, download all your apps and when you have a nice screen to show post it in my thread" SCREENSHOOTS" .
Gloria

sweaner

Feb 11, 2011
I went a really simple route for real dummies. I bought a Micro SD that had Froyo pre-installed from eBay. Put it in, re-booted, running.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Step 15 is wrong.

You do not unplug the USB cable until the NC is at home screen. If you unplug the cable early we have seen people with botched nooter's...and no one wants to botch a nooter.

He probably wants to show off a little bit of his knowledge, nothing wrong with that... ,just stick around newbee and you can find your way to shine, may be helping others when our "gurus"are busy.
gloria

kimdvm

Feb 12, 2011
Step 15 is wrong.

This is from nookdevs.com http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting
If you are using the original Nooter 0.2, or Auto-nooter on 1.0.0, Once the devices show up, wait five minutes while the script makes the changes to the Nook's file system.
  • Disconnect the USB cable.
  • Remove the microSD card. (Otherwise it would boot the microSD again)
  • Hold down the power button for 15 or more seconds. (again)
  • The NOOKcolor should boot normally.
So if that is not the case - when is it ok to unplug the cable? I have version 1.01 so it was not an issue for me.

I think it's fairly clear if you read my original post why I posted instructions again. Nobody has to read them that doesn't want to.

Last edited:

kimdvm

Feb 12, 2011
I just stopped by to say wellcome... .it doesn't look you need any help. Don't forget to vote for your new toy as best gadget for2010. RICO posted the thread with the link for voting. Then relax, enjoy your nook, download all your apps and when you have a nice screen to show post it in my thread" SCREENSHOOTS" .
Gloria

Thanks idontknow I have a few screenshots that I'll post in the next few days.

kimdvm

Feb 12, 2011
Welcome to the forums!

Fair point. I just figured that if someone is bold enough to root their nook, booting honeycomb from a card wouldn't be that daunting. The feint of heart will probably be put off by all the warnings about it not being ready for prime time. But seriously, if they've made it that far it's not that hard to run honeycomb.

I edited the original post to include the screen blur/shut off info.

Thanks for the welcome.

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I think it's fairly clear if you read my original post why I posted instructions again. Nobody has to read them that doesn't want to.

OH...so you are one of THOSE... got it.

You are a self proclaimed newb that labels their thread instructions for a newb, but you haven't even followed the instructions you are giving. Some forum decorum should be used here...namely, if you are going to blindly quote from some other place, you need to
otherwise it is plagiarism. You gave no thanks to those that contributed the information you copied and pasted, indicated that the information was anything other than your personal experience.

The problem I had with step 15 is that you are lumping instructions for various versions in one step without a definitive difference between the two...if someone totally new to android and the NC (like yourself) came here and read the thread that seemed to jump out at them (rooting for newbs) they might be confused by steps that mention various versions in the same step. Assuming that a total newb would stop reading in the middle of a step can create other issues. You also never instruct on when its okay to unplug the cable if they are installing 1.0.1 or 1.1.

Also, your step 16 are not correct for at least 1.0.1 and 1.1...you don't sign in to google right after tapping the android, you skip that step to setup your location.

Quoted from http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

At the Android Welcome Screen tap the robot.
Skip "Learn how to use your LogicPD Zoom2"
Skip "Set up your Google Account"
Select both boxes for "Use Google Location" and click Next (Send anonymous data to Google check box may be optional)

If you want to really make instructions for a newb, you need to painstakingly detail each and every step, to avoid ANY confusion...

Maybe even write a new post for each version, not skipping over or skimming a single step.

Last edited:

kimdvm

Feb 12, 2011
OH...so you are one of THOSE... got it.

You are a self proclaimed newb that labels their thread instructions for a newb, but you haven't even followed the instructions you are giving. Some forum decorum should be used here...namely, if you are going to blindly quote from some other place, you need to otherwise it is plagiarism. You gave no thanks to those that contributed the information you copied and pasted, indicated that the information was anything other than your personal experience.

I put links to the original articles for all the information I provided and stated that is where I got the information. I DID follow the instructions for the model that I had. The instructions are slightly different for the older models. So perhaps you could actually read what's written before condemning.

The problem I had with step 15 is that you are lumping instructions for various versions in one step without a definitive difference between the two...if someone totally new to android and the NC (like yourself) came here and read the thread that seemed to jump out at them (rooting for newbs) they might be confused by steps that mention various versions in the same step. Assuming that a total newb would stop reading in the middle of a step can create other issues. You also never instruct on when its okay to unplug the cable if they are installing 1.0.1 or 1.1.

Also, your step 16 are not correct for at least 1.0.1 and 1.1...you don't sign in to google right after tapping the android, you skip that step to setup your location.

Quoted from NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

If you want to really make instructions for a newb, you need to painstakingly detail each and every step, to avoid ANY confusion...

Maybe even write a new post for each version, not skipping over or skimming a single step.
Now that at least, is constructive criticism. I don't completely agree with all of it but I can separate out the instructions for the different versions to make it clearer.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011

That's a very wrong attitude to have about a thread like this. You have one of the "gurus" of this place offering good advice, and you decide to be snotty.. You'll go far ;)

The problem with reposting all of this stuff is that it's already out there, and when you make a copy of a copy, you lose resolution. Little steps get missed, and those can bite a n00b right in the butt. I'm all for making a n00b friendly guide, cuz I know I sure would have loved one when I did my first rooting. But it's got to be bulletproof, and that only comes from someone ripping apart what you've done and exposing the flaws. Take that and make it positive.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I put links to the original articles for all the information I provided and stated that is where I got the information. I DID follow the instructions for the model that I had. The instructions are slightly different for the older models. So perhaps you could actually read what's written before condemning.

Now that at least, is constructive criticism. I don't completely agree with all of it but I can separate out the instructions for the different versions to make it clearer.

Wow...you sure are an arrogant sob aren't you? You have a total of 8 posts and only 24 hours ago were a self proclaimed Android and NC newb, yet seem to take any criticism and advice as condemning you, like you are some god amongst men here...I might have been interested to hear how you don't agree with me, but honestly, I don't care that much to hear what you have to say, and if you think there was anything in that post that wasn't designed to be constructive and spot on correct, you are just another troll looking to disrupt a great community. I for one will not be responding to any more of your arrogant posts, and am very glad that I found the ignore user function of the forums. Good luck