Nook Color Registration

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
better a new thread, will start it now....and make it sticky :D

Sir Robin

Jan 22, 2011
I have a NC on the way and I am a little confused about the registration procedure.
I am going to root and ROM it.
I have read in the instructions for some custom ROM's that you register it first, then it immediately gives instructions on how to unregister it but doesn't say if this is necessary.
My question is do I need to register it if I am going to put a custom ROM on it and then just use the nook app? and if so do I register, turn right around and unregister it, then root and flash ROM, then re-register. Or do I just get it add the ROM and add the nook app.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
It only takes a couple minutes to register...and it sets your serial number to your B&N account.

After you register, you can run any custom ROM's you want.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I have a NC on the way and I am a little confused about the registration procedure.
I am going to root and ROM it.
I have read in the instructions for some custom ROM's that you register it first, then it immediately gives instructions on how to unregister it but doesn't say if this is necessary.
My question is do I need to register it if I am going to put a custom ROM on it and then just use the nook app? and if so do I register, turn right around and unregister it, then root and flash ROM, then re-register. Or do I just get it add the ROM and add the nook app.

The comments you see about unregistering the device before you root is in case you were NOT the original owner. I know it's not clear, but a registered device IS required before root if you are planning to stay on the stock B&N software, otherwise the device will not connect to your B&N account and you won't be able to purchase books from B&N and won't have access to already purchased books.

However, if you are going to root just so you can load a custom (non B&N rom - 1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.1.0) then you can skip the registration because you're not going have the B&N software. Once on a custom ROM you can download the Nook app from the market and connect that way.

Sir Robin

Jan 22, 2011
The comments you see about unregistering the device before you root is in case you were NOT the original owner. I know it's not clear, but a registered device IS required before root if you are planning to stay on the stock B&N software, otherwise the device will not connect to your B&N account and you won't be able to purchase books from B&N and won't have access to already purchased books.

However, if you are going to root just so you can load a custom (non B&N rom - 1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.1.0) then you can skip the registration because you're not going have the B&N software. Once on a custom ROM you can download the Nook app from the market and connect that way.

That is what I thought but I wanted to make sure. Now I just have to pick which ROM.

Joeff

Feb 1, 2011
;)
I may want to quote your post when people ask in what order of rooting and installing should they proceed with their new Nookcolors.
Hello rico I had this nook and it's rooted already someone wants to buy and I had to deregister the account so I could let him create a new account to BN what should I do?

Backnblack

Jan 18, 2010
The comments you see about unregistering the device before you root is in case you were NOT the original owner. I know it's not clear, but a registered device IS required before root if you are planning to stay on the stock B&N software....

The wiki has been updated.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Hello rico I had this nook and it's rooted already someone wants to buy and I had to deregister the account so I could let him create a new account to BN what should I do?

If you want to leave it rooted and just de-register the device:
-Go to Settings
-Select "Device Info" under the top "Device Settings" section
-Select "Erase & Deregister Device"
-Select the "Erase & Deregister Device" button
-You will be prompted with the following confirmation dialog
-Select the "Reset Nook" button
-A Deregistration message will appear and Nook Color will reboot.
-Upon reset a Clearing data message will appear
-Nook Color will reboot again once complete.

If you want to un-rooted the Nook Color and de-register:
Step 1 (factory image restore)
-Power off the nook.
-Tap the power button.
-3 to 5 seonds after "Welcome to the future of reading" appears, hold the power button down to interrupt the boot process. (this will turn the Nook COlor back off)
* If the boot animation does not appear, add 1 to your interrupted boot count.
* If the boot animation DOES appear, your interrupted boot count is reset to zero. Start over.
-Repeat the interrupt sequnece until your failed boot count reaches 8. At this point, the nook will re-flash its /system partition. You will see the process on the right.

Step 2 (de-registration)

option1
-With the Nook color powered off hold down the n button (home) and Power Button until the Nook Color powers on.
-You will be prompted with a Factory Reset dialog.
Press POWER key to Exit
Press HOME key to continue
-Press n button (home).
-You will be prompted to confirm.
Press POWER key to Exit
Press HOME key to continue
-Press n button (home).
-A Clearing Data dialog will show. Nook Color will reboot automatically once complete.

option2
-Go to Settings
-Select "Device Info" under the top "Device Settings" section
-Select "Erase & Deregister Device"
-Select the "Erase & Deregister Device" button
-You will be prompted with the following confirmation dialog
-Select the "Reset Nook" button
-A Deregistration message will appear and Nook Color will reboot.
-Upon reset a Clearing data message will appear
-Nook Color will reboot again once complete.

Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs