Nook Color Scenario

famousevan

Jun 13, 2011
Ok, so I've been looking everywhere for an answer to this on forum after forum to no avail so I thought what better place to ask?

I am looking for a distribution/package that will allow me to run Honeycomb (or any version of Android) on a Nook Color from a bootable SD card. I would prefer to not make any changes to the system and instead desire a setup that runs entirely from the card (and uses the card for storage) and reverts to the factory boot and volume when the card is not present.

Anyone familiar with anything like this?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ok, so I've been looking everywhere for an answer to this on forum after forum to no avail so I thought what better place to ask?

I am looking for a distribution/package that will allow me to run Honeycomb (or any version of Android) on a Nook Color from a bootable SD card. I would prefer to not make any changes to the system and instead desire a setup that runs entirely from the card (and uses the card for storage) and reverts to the factory boot and volume when the card is not present.

Anyone familiar with anything like this?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

You came to the right place :D The thread you want is here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html.

Hoenycomb is not recommended as it is a demo ROM only and not fully functional. If you know what you are doing and willing to live with certain shortcomings go for it. Otherwise you are better off sticking with CM7 in the link above.

JP

famousevan

Jun 13, 2011
Wow, that was EXACTLY what I was looking for! As new android user, do you have any apps or places for cusomizations and such that generally recommend?

Beyond that, outside of the SD card scenario I mentioned above, in your opinion what is the ideal method of running Android on the Nook?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
My opinion is that CM7 or one of its varients Phriremod or Ultimate Droid are the ideal way to run Android on the Nook. Rooting is good if you need to retain the stock B&N e-reader features but for a true tablet you need one of those custom ROMs.

JP

nomadjim

Oct 28, 2010
If you create a SD card with the bootable CM7 on it, is it possible to customize it as you want and store files on the SD card that CM7 is on.

Jim

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
If you create a SD card with the bootable CM7 on it, is it possible to customize it as you want and store files on the SD card that CM7 is on.

Jim

While that is true, many still report issues with some things trying to run it off the card. In addition, you give up some performance over running a custom ROM on the internal eMMC. In my opinion, running off the eMMC is just a cleaner way to go. :)