Nook color with GPS and Data plan

Discussion in 'Nook Color Technical' started by dcsvany, Apr 28, 2011.

1. dcsvany

dcsvany Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color
    OK It's been driving me nuts and looking over and over for the correct sequence or right apps etc. But my idea is to have the Nook color be a larger GPS. While I know that it does not come with the Hardware GPS installed I do have a few options I am trying to figure out. I have the following items in my possession

1. Nook color Rooted with Phiremod 6.1
    2. Sprint Blackberry 9630 with unlimited Data plan and built in gps. However. I can only work with so much on this phone due to the company owns it. Bluetooth DUN is possible.
    3. Iphone 3G non-jail broke but have unlimited Data plan. (One of the Lucky ones hehe)
    4. iGPS-BT with a Pharos GPS-360

All I want to do is use the Nook to connect to the GPS and internet to use Google Navigation for data.

Ideas?
    I want to utilize the GPS with the data plan

2. AnimaTechnica

AnimaTechnica Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Droid, Haipad 701, Rooted Nook Color
    assuming igps conforms to the standard - i would say get Bluetooth GPS app from the market (free) run that and it should take data from the gps. Next step is the navigation software - google maps/navigation requires a wifi connection for real time turn by turn - or you can pre plan your route while connected to wfi then disconnect from wifi once you start driving - if you have a mifi this works very well

CoPilot ($5) let's you download maps locally so you do not need to be connected for turn by turn - looks big and beautiful on tne nook screen

3. dcsvany

dcsvany Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color
    Thanks for your response. I have been pulling my hair out on that GPS device. I keep getting the application Bluetooth GPS to run and it sees 11 Sats and in use is 5. I had to enable my BTGPS settings to Connection Workarounds in order to see them in the first place. I also enabled the Mock Provider. I am in range of my wireless right now in my home to provide the data but the map is just to seeing the GPS data I guess.

This is my first fence I must hurdle I guess right now.

4. Zamboniman

Zamboniman Member

Tablet / Device:
    Motorola Xoom, Nook Color
    Try BLUEGPS for use with a Bluetooth GPS. It's what I use and works fine with all the GPS apps I've thrown at it. Or if you want to use your phone's GPS you can do a wireless tether and use TetherGPS - run the server app on your phone and the client app on your nook. This works well too.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

5. Candlestick

Candlestick Member

I think this is what you want to do

Nook Color + External GPS receiver + iGO MyWay GPS Software Part 2

Part 1

Part 2

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014