Nook Tablet 16GB Or 10 Inch?

Apr 12, 2012
I am really leaning towards the Nook Tablet 16gb, but I keep wondering if I would be better off to get a 10".

I am sure I will be rooting and maybe even do ICS.... I have never done anything like that (well I have used linux on my laptops - no big deal on that).....

So, I like the price tag of the Nook.... I can get one for under $200. So is there any "good" 10" tablets that would be a great deal for the same price. I want durability.... Well not a big issue for me, but my daughter had a Coby Kyros 7012 - now bricked..... I tried to swap out the glass for one that was working (I had the good glass) but than I easily broke the glass in the process - it was pretty thin. SO now I am thinking about that.....

Any ideas on what would be the best route for me to go?

I want to be able to take it to my bedroom - to read pdf files (craft projects), maybe watch netflix with my husband - he has linux on his laptop and we cannot do that yet.... I know I would like it for its portability.....

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well you are trying to compare two totally different things. Either you want a 10" or you don't. If you do want a large screen you will be disappointed with a 7" screen. However, if you really want the portability then the smaller screen is the way to go. So think about what size is really important to you or decide if the size isn't really the overall factor you are concerned about.

On to your other items.The price of a Nook Tablet is going to be hard to beat for the performance you get. Even more so if you go with a refurb or used device bringing the price down further. You will find other tablets in the $250 or less price range but they will all have a trade off of features where they excel and lag.

Which brings us to the reasons a Nook Tablet is probably an excellent choice for you given your post. The NT has a good developer community and is able to be rooted and custom ROMed very easily. While it isn't as unbrickable as the Nook Color it is still a tinker friendly device with a lot of community support and activity. It is great for reading in bed, watching Netflix and other videos and is very portable. So it seems to hit all of your points as long as you don't decide what you are really after is a 10" tablet.

As an alternative option the Nook Color still hits all of these points (other than the large size) and can be found for around $100. It is a little slower than the 16GB NT and obviously has 1/2 the on board storage but for your activities would still work well plus it is further along in its tinkering/development life cycle.

JP

Apr 12, 2012
I forgot to mention that I have a Droid Razr - I will watch things on netflix occasionally. Yes I LOVE the specs etc on the nook - I guess my concern is whether I will regret not getting the 10". My daughter had a 7" coby.... my dad has an ipad. Sometimes I look at him using it and think about it being so large. I do have an i7 Toshiba laptop - but when I use CS5 on it, it can get fairly warm and I am trying to baby it (so I can get longer life on it) - so sort of portable, but not so much.....

Apr 12, 2012
I guess my question should have been - is there any good 10" tablets out there that would be comparable to the nook tablet 16gb - with a similar price tag (maybe up to $250)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
In that price range (or a little more) and size I recommend the Le Pan. You can find out more about it here Le Pan Tablets. It is similar to an iPad in size and shape. The hardware specs for the processor and RAM aren't as good as a NT but you are getting a larger screen and cameras etc. Again, at the price range you are looking in you generally have some trade offs in performance vs. features. You sort of get a mix match for any given device rather than getting all the features and the best performance like more expensive tablets.

Based on your wants the Nook Tablet or Color are really good options. If you want the bigger screen though the Le Pan is a nice device in that price range.

Apr 12, 2012
It sounds nice, but it looks like they are having a lot of customer service etc issues....

I may end up getting the nook since they are reputable.... I LOVE my Motorola phones - not sure how their tablets are....

I guess I will keep looking....

mduque

May 23, 2012
It really comes down to what you need or what you use it for.

I bought a Motorola XOOM 10.1" six months ago and I regret it. Still am.
That's why I'm on the hunt for a smaller tab now.

Don't get me wrong, Motorola XOOM was one of the best tablets when it first came out. Powerful and all good.
The only one complaint I have, it is the slow keyboard. When you type on the keyboard, you clearly notice some lag the moment you press a letter key and the moment the letter comes out on screen.
Holding a 10" inch tablet in bed to read is insanity. I read from some users, they say they don't mind and it serves as an excuse for exercise. BUT I wonder how many are STILL using their 10.1" for reading in bed, while holding it up in the air......... bottom line, is just very inconvenient always holding a 10" and BE AWARE.........the XOOM is hack of heavy and like any 10" tablet I had in hand.
The good news??? I didn't buy it to type anything, but simply to read and some rare game play.
I rushed into buying this one... and was a mistake in getting the XOOM for what I intended to do only: READ.
I just gave it to my 2 years old boy to play, tap tap tap and watch cartoons and he ""loves"" it hahahahaha. Ah boy...

Bottom line, is really what do you want to use your new tablet for?
For eReading, casual web surfing, email checking or watch videos......... if your purpose falls into this category, I DO NOT recommend you to get a 10" tablet. NO Way.

Now I'm eyeing on the Samsung Galaxy 7 or 7.7 as my true eReader.
Two key factors and what I'm looking on a tablet:

1. Portability (FEELS LIKE FEATHER in weight...)
2. Use it as eReader only.

Just not sure which one I should get as I can't just walk into the shop and upload a pdf file to see which one looks better.
I'm most likely to go with the SG tab 7.7

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
I did get a xoom - hopefully arriving this morning! I don't plan on reading on it at night when I am trying to go to sleep. I will continue to read on my phone. I know I don't want to hold a 10 inch tablet like that.

I also have a 6" kindle e-ink coming.... but that is to take on a trip to Haiti.... if something happens to it.... I am not out a lot of money....

I decided I really did want the larger tablet. Looked at a 8.9" tablet at Verizon and thought it seemed too small for what I was wanting to do with it....

With the bigger tablet , I can also get the adobe products on it.... would be neat if you could connect to pc and use it like a wacom tablet.... LOL (I have one already - could give it to my son if it ends up working that way too).... LOL

I will have to check out the keyboard. I was thinking of maybe doing all my emails on the tablet....

mduque

May 23, 2012
After looking around the whole day for a new tablet, comparing prices shop after shop, holding tablets after tablets on my hand getting the feel of them all, I found a winner.

Lenovo Ideapad A1 Tablet:

It has been compared side by side with the Amazon Kindle, Nook and based on reviews, lenovo came top. And they all carry the exact same price $199.

Last edited by a moderator:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It has been compared side by side with the Amazon Kindle, Nook and based on reviews, lenovo came top. And they all carry the exact same price $199.

Be very careful here. Obviously it depends on which features you want/need but I would be hard pressed to call the Lenovo the "winner" among those tablets. I'll assume you mean the Nook Tablet 8GB for due to the price. Here is a comparison of the 3 tablets Nook Tablet (8 GB) vs. Kindle Fire vs. IdeaPad A1 | The Verge.

NT and Kindle Fire both have 1024x600 resolution, the A1 has 1024x500.
NT and Kindle Fire are both dual core, the A1 is single core.
NT and A1 micro SD card slot, Kindle Fire does not have expandable memory.
A1 has cameras and GPS, NT and Kindle Fire do not.

The Nook Color actually compares well to the A1 if you don't need GPS or cameras and can be found for around $100. You can easily run a custom CM7 (Gingerbread) of CM9 (ICS) ROM on it. There is a good review on Amazon comparing the Nook Color and A1 here Amazon.com: Kodak McClain's review of Lenovo Ideapad A1 22282MU 7-Inch Tablet (B....

So if you have a better idea of your needs after your previous experience and it doesn't include cameras or GPS the Nook Tablet 8GB looks like a good choice for better performance while if you take cost into consideration the Nook Color becomes very tempting at half the price.

Now you have more to think about ;)

JP

mduque

May 23, 2012
Be very careful here. Obviously it depends on which features you want/need but I would be hard pressed to call the Lenovo the "winner" among those tablets. I'll assume you mean the Nook Tablet 8GB for due to the price. Here is a comparison of the 3 tablets Nook Tablet (8 GB) vs. Kindle Fire vs. IdeaPad A1 | The Verge.

NT and Kindle Fire both have 1024x600 resolution, the A1 has 1024x500.
NT and Kindle Fire are both dual core, the A1 is single core.
NT and A1 micro SD card slot, Kindle Fire does not have expandable memory.
A1 has cameras and GPS, NT and Kindle Fire do not.

The Nook Color actually compares well to the A1 if you don't need GPS or cameras and can be found for around $100. You can easily run a custom CM7 (Gingerbread) of CM9 (ICS) ROM on it. There is a good review on Amazon comparing the Nook Color and A1 here Amazon.com: Kodak McClain's review of Lenovo Ideapad A1 22282MU 7-Inch Tablet (B....

So if you have a better idea of your needs after your previous experience and it doesn't include cameras or GPS the Nook Tablet 8GB looks like a good choice for better performance while if you take cost into consideration the Nook Color becomes very tempting at half the price.

Now you have more to think about ;)

JP

Hi,

Thanks for your post. At first you gave me a spin, but looking deeper, I went on to re-read all the reviews in the Amazon, including the in-comments as well and my conclusion is the same. Lenovo is still the one.
It has camera for skype for rare phone calls, but it's there. Users had problems with the skype camera before, but now the problem has been fixed with the latest skype update. The phone needs to be in portrait mode though, but no more upside down videos, which is great news. I'm not comfortable with rooting not to mention that I'm living in South China (Macau, Hong Kong) and for any returns would be a nightmare. I had few tablets in my hand and Lenovo was indeed the one that felt right.
I had the Acer Iconia 7" in hand, but felt it heavy and the price was just not what I wanted to pay for an eReader.
The Samsung Galaxy 7 was too tick and the edges to rounded and the price is high. But the 7.7 version was the one that gave the best feeling in my hands, but damn too expensive for a eReader I'm after.

;)

Last edited: