Nook Tablet bricked (from Gingerbread to CM7)

panicinduced

Aug 26, 2012
Hello, I'm from the Philippines and I want to ask if someone knows how to fix a bricked Nook Tablet? It's only been 4 months since I purchased this and I tried to update it using CWM for CM7 but it didn't work. I deleted a lot of things (hoping to have it fixed and sadly I didn't back up it), like formatted the system, deleted the cache. I turned it on and now it's stuck in CWM mode with no option to go around it and the stock software of B&N doesn't load anymore as well (it's stuck in Read Forever mode). I tried to have it fixed in victory mall but the technician didn't know how to fix it. What about greenhills? Or anyone?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi there, sorry to hear about your troubles.

Edit: After giving an entire response I realized I detailed the steps for Nook Color not Nook Tablet. You need to try and restore the recovery of your Nook Tablet. That could involve trying to reflash CWM to EMMC and also trying to reflash the stock ROM to EMMC. Since you can boot into recovery you should be ok but it will probably take some work.

Clear system and data and the cache partition before flashing anything. Do not wipe boot. The first thing I would try is making sure you have a good download of CM7 (check the MD5 sum) and then try flashing that after clearing the above to see if you can boot.

JP

Last edited:

panicinduced

Aug 26, 2012
Hi there, sorry to hear about your troubles. There are several good threads here for restoring your Nook please take a look through them since several cover this issue. It might take some work but it is certainly not bricked.

It sounds like you have ClockWork Mod Recovery installed which is great news. You should make sure you have the latest version installed which you can get here. Download the zip file ad put it on an SD card leave it zipped and do not put it in any folders on the SD card. Also down load the latest Google Apps and CM7 or CM9 and place those zip files on the SD card still zipped and not in any folders (Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki)

Power down and insert the card then power up. When you enter recovery (since that is the only place you can go) choose to install zip from the SD card. Navigate to the CWM zip file and then choose flash. Now go back to the main menu and reboot. You should then boot into the latest CWM.

Next clear system/data and cache partition (from the CWM menu). After you have cleared these choos to install zip from SD card and flash the CM7 or CM9 ROM. Choose install zip from SD card again and choose the Google Apps file. At the main menu choose reboot. You should now boot into CM7 or CM9 (which ever you chose).

JP

Hi! Thanks for your reply. The part where I'm having a problem with is when i navigate to choose install zip from the sdcard, navigating to the CWM zip file. It just hangs (or completely stops responding). Every time I do something that requires choosing or going inside the sdcard, the device just freezes. Do you think my sdcard is faulty? or would you recommend formatting the sdcard free from any files first? I already wiped out/factory reset from CWM as well. I wish I could've backed up my files before attempting to update to CM7. Sigh.

panicinduced

Aug 26, 2012
I'm not very good with android rooting or any terms such as flashing, burn image, etc.. How do you flash? Also, I am not sure if I did wiped boot, because I wiped a lot of things from CWM. Silly me, I followed a random online instructions without knowing anything. This'll make everything harder but I'm actually using a MAC, and I haven't been successful in getting instructions for MAC users. Plus I'm such a noob with android! :(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Since you are booting into recovery that should make things easier. The basic steps of flashing are below. This thread is for the Nook Color but you should read it to see how to flash and what the menus look like http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html. Having a Mac shouldn't matter at this point since what you need to do is going to be on the tablet not the computer.

Download the appropriate zip files (CM7, Google Apps and/or Stock B&N OS). Place the unzipped files on you SD card in the root directory (not in any folder).
Power the NT down and insert the SD card. Power up and it should boot you into recovery according to your original post.
In recovery choose wipe system/data. Then choose wipe cache partition.
Next choose install zip file from SD card.
Navigate to the CM7 file and choose flash zip. Then choose install zip from SD card again and choose Google apps.
Return to the main menu then choose reboot.

Alternate it you want to use the stock B&N OS you should not choose to flash the Google Apps after. Just flash the stock zip return to the main menu and reboot.

Be sure to read the thread above particularly post 2 to see how to flash zips from the SD card in recovery.

JP

panicinduced

Aug 26, 2012
the problem is i can't go any further after choose install zip file form sdcard. that's where I'm stuck. the devices completely freezes.. i am able to boot cwm but anything that requires installation from zip or anything that requires accessing sdcard will result from freezing. >.<

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Try this recovery method [UNBRICK] Your Bricked Nook Tablet 8/16 GB Step by Step on Windows Vista/7 - xda-developers/. The only difference is you will get the Mac version of the utlity to format your card and instead of using win32diskimager to burn the image you will use the Mac utility (or equivalent program for burning images) to burn the B&N recovery image to the SD card. This should return you to stock B&N at which point you can root or install a custom ROM again.