Nook Tablet Lack of Enthusiasm?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
From the lack of activity in the Nook Tablet forum I take it that there is also a lack of enthusiasm for the NT. So did B&N miss the mark? I have some ideas about this but wanted to see what others have to say.

Post up and tell the world if you think the NT is going to be or already is a success or a failure and why.

Barry1

Nov 19, 2011
Hi Barry here. Well I only had my Nook Tablet for less than a week. All I can say is I love it.
I have not had any problems as of yet.
Barry

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Barry, glad to have you here and that you are enjoying your nook Tablet. Hopefully we'll get you some more company.

JP

Last edited:

Slickvic

Dec 8, 2011
Hi Barry here. Well I only had my Nook Tablet for less than a week. All I can say is I love it.
I have not had any problems as of yet.
Barry

Same here. I just got mine for St. Nicks and am still exploring all the features.

sjbenes

Dec 7, 2011
Well, I have to say I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. I don't as yet have one, it will be arriving for Christmas, but I've been following all the blogs and reviews I can find. I originally wanted a nook color, but I felt the better specs on the NT were worth the wait. For me, the $249 price tag was an affordable way to enter the android tablet realm.

I've been reading a lot of reviews that people state they are disappointed with the lack of a camera, personally, that's not an issue for me but it may have been a nice feature. What I was a bit unhappy with is the lack of bluetooth. It seems that the bluetooth was a feature that the network chip had, and was later activated by dual booting or rooting the color. I can't imagine it would have been a big deal to implement on the NT. It would have been nice to be able to connect to my PC to download a file, or use wireless headphones, but maybe it will show up in a firmware update. Until then, not a deal breaker for me.

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
I was looking at the Nook tablet, but went with the Nook color instead for the only reason being that I already have a tablet with a 10" screen. Otherwise I would spent the extra 50.00 and bought it. I did get a chance to mess around with one and it seems to be a great device. Can the tablet be rooted like the Nook color, then have bluetooth capabilities?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I was looking at the Nook tablet, but went with the Nook color instead for the only reason being that I already have a tablet with a 10" screen. Otherwise I would spent the extra 50.00 and bought it. I did get a chance to mess around with one and it seems to be a great device. Can the tablet be rooted like the Nook color, then have bluetooth capabilities?

The Nook Tablet can be rooted. At the moment I believe bluetooth is still not available. Both the NC and the NT are are great little devices.

So that's 3 new owners posting so far and it's nice to see some action starting to happen in this part of the forum.

JP

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
Make it 4. I've had one since the day before the "official" release (my B&N like others had it available that previous day). Had it rooted as soon as Indirect figured out how (on XDA Developers forum). I did a lot of research before getting one and I'm also happy with the device. I think part of the lack of enthusiasm is due to a couple of things: poor advertising on B&N's part, and the hold off by enthusiasts who frequent these boards because of the locked bootloader. There are way more commercials on TV for the Kindle by comparison to the NT. B&N still doesn't get that they have to step up to mass market type sales techniques. They're still acting like a bookseller. Even given that, the NT was the clear choice for me. I have everything I need right now running on it. Once the boys get SD boot working (hopefully soon), that will settle the remaining hesitancies.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
tonyp, good to see you back here. I though maybe you'd left us for the XDA guys ;) I'm sure the others will gain tremendously from your pioneering. Thanks for your input on the NT you made some good points.

sjbenes

Dec 7, 2011
I agree with tonyp, the lack of advertising for the NT is really depressing. The kindle commercial is in my face pretty much every night while watching tv and I've only seen one NT commercial that featured James Patterson. They really need to start a marketing blitz if they want to keep up (and I hope they want to keep up). Luckily, there seem to be a lot of interested people around that have done their homework and want the NT to succeed because it's the better choice.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
It's unfortunate, but the Fire seems to be stealing the show. As pointed out, Amazon's been doing a better job of advertising, but I think the real reason is the folks buying those tablets simply don't understand how important the SDcard slot and other features of the Tablet are. All they know is, they look the same and one is $50 USD less expensive. Most of the folks buying tablets don't belong to ATF, don't have a clue what Android is, never heard of rooting or ROMs and would buy an iPad if they could afford one. They just want something to read books, surf the net and watch a few videos on. For them, maybe the Fire is a better deal. But we know better.:cool:

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
It's unfortunate, but the Fire seems to be stealing the show. As pointed out, Amazon's been doing a better job of advertising, but I think the real reason is the folks buying those tablets simply don't understand how important the SDcard slot and other features of the Tablet are. All they know is, they look the same and one is $50 USD less expensive. Most of the folks buying tablets don't belong to ATF, don't have a clue what Android is, never heard of rooting or ROMs and would buy an iPad if they could afford one. They just want something to read books, surf the net and watch a few videos on. For them, maybe the Fire is a better deal. But we know better.:cool:

I still BN miscalculated with thier price. $250 was a great price in the world of $500 tablets. Now that there are alternatives at lower price and much better specs at similar price they end up not looking so hot

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Because there is no enthusiasm here on the forum, it doesn't mean that nobody is buying the tablet. We owners of the nook color are not buying the new nook because we already have everything the NT has ,on our rooted nook. I'm convinced that B& N is going to sell a lot of tablets because these tablets have everything one might want in a tablet and right out of the box: Netflix,Hulu, plenty of apps books and magazines ,sd for extra storage and the support of Barnes &Nobles. B&N will sell a lot of nook tablets but we won't see the buyers here on the forum because they don't really need to root their e reader in order to turn it into an android tablet, as we did with the nook color, they already bought an android tablet, the NOOK TABLET and i it's perfect as it is.

Gloria
Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

derelict

Mar 2, 2011
I am currently traveling through Asia and am accompanied by my Nook Color. Every time I pull it out, the people I am with ask what kind it is. When I tell them it is a Barnes and Noble nook, they look at me with a blank stare. Then when I say it is an Ebook reader that was hacked and modified, they say "oh, like the new Kindle Fire!". Pretty sad.

I would love to see the numbers of how many Kindle Fire's shipped versus the Nook Tablet, but I believe the KF is kicking the NT's butt...

I think that the $50 is a little too much extra for the average user. If they priced it at $230 or $225, I think they would have had a little bit more success.

Personally, I really want a NT, but I wont buy one until someone figures out the bootloader issue. For now I am more than happy with my NC.