nook tablet oops

Jan 1, 2012
i recently purchased the nook tablet, apon attempting to root it i accidently installed the HC OS instead of the one i wanted that being Go launcher. I tried to do a factory reset due to the fact that after rooting the device my N button changed in operation, it no longer brought up options it escaped from apps instead. I would like to unroot and start over how ever i am not smart enough to figure this out.lol. I read on a forum that the nook reverts to the sd card before internal memory, should i change sd cards since i put the drivers on my sd card. any help would be appreciated,
thanks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi jake, first we need to be clear if you have a Nook Tablet or a Nook Color. They look nearly identical but it makes a difference. One thing you need to do is SLOW DOWN and let people help you before you make matters worse, particularly if you are admitting you are not sure what you are doing. I'm going to see about moving this thread to the Nook Tablet section where you can get more specific help.

First of all it is not possible to install any other OS on the Nook Tablet and HC doesn't work even on the Nook Color so that can't be what you actually did. So it sounds like you actually wanted to install a different home launcher, in this case Go Launcher, but accidentally installed a HC themed launcher instead. Your second mistake seems to be that you tried to do a factory reset instead of simply changing the default home launcher. The third mistake seems to be that you remapped the n button to act as a back button.

So assuming you have the Nook Tablet, it is rooted and you failed to do a factory restore all you need to do is download the Go Launcher app. Once it is installed it should ask if you want to make it your default home launcher. If so check the box and select Go Launcher. If it does not ask you can get an app called Home Manager or Home Switcher which will allow you to set the default home launcher.

Once you have the default home launcher set we can work on making sure the n button has the desired action of returning you to the home screen. You should only try to restore to stock and reroot as a last resort at this point.

JP

Jan 1, 2012
JP,
You mentioned above that Jake should do a "restore to stock" in helping correct his problems. Is that the same as choosing "erase and deregister" from the nook settings? The reason I am asking is because I tried that thinking it would take my NT back to stock... without the 1.4.1 update. When it came back up, everything was pretty much back to "out of the box," but the update was still there. Did I not "restore to stock?" Is there anyway to get rid of the update without having to put the 1.4.0 zip folder on a microSD and rebooting? I can't get this procedure to work. Can I not just plug my Nook into my computer and delete the update folder that I dragged into it in the first place? Sorry for all the noob questions!
Thanks!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi EBS, erase and deregister is one way to return to stock but as you noted it may not return you to a previous OS version. Another way is to try to the 8 boot method which may also not restore a previous OS version. As you know the final way is to us a recovery SD card. For your specific issue I'll see if I can help you in the other thread.

seven

Jan 25, 2012
Hi,
I am a noob with this too and recently just rooted my nook tablet and it was working okay. The next day, after I downloaded an keyboard app, I found out that I could not open the keyboard setting, so I foolly decided to do factory reset by pressing the power and the n buttons. Now, everything is gone, no web browser, no super user, nothing. I was able to download a free internet browser app and tried to root it again, but the browser does not display me the pop up, which I have disabled it.

Note@ JP: Should I download the go launcher too? will this fix the problem?

Help Please!!!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi,
I am a noob with this too and recently just rooted my nook tablet and it was working okay. The next day, after I downloaded an keyboard app, I found out that I could not open the keyboard setting, so I foolly decided to do factory reset by pressing the power and the n buttons. Now, everything is gone, no web browser, no super user, nothing. I was able to download a free internet browser app and tried to root it again, but the browser does not display me the pop up, which I have disabled it.

Note@ JP: Should I download the go launcher too? will this fix the problem?

Help Please!!!!

Hi seven, well you learned a hard lesson, only factory reset as a last resort. Are you still on software version 1.4.0? If so you shouldn't have any problems rerooting. To start with you may want to follow the side loading process before rooting http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...pps-un-rooted-nook-tablet-not-nook-color.html. The first link in that thread has lots of good info. This will allow you to check the "unknown sources" box and install various apps which can be found here xda-developers - View Single Post - MUST-HAVE APPS (side-loaded) with locations. (a link to Dolphin Browser is also here if you need a different browser). The various rooting instructions can also be found at that link which should allow you to get rooted again.