Nook vs Kindle vs ?????

Boats

May 30, 2012
So I'm quite sure you all have seen this before so please humor an old man...Looking into getting something smaller than a laptop, bigger than an ipod touch.

I Listen to music, (about 5k songs in my collection), audiobooks, email, a few games (arcade type) check hotmail and surf the web.

Now that I have done all the research and thoroughly confused myself, I turn to you.... Suggestions please.

thank you all in advance.

Boats
US Navy Retired

Boats

May 30, 2012
Ok guys, I know this has been asked before so please humor an old man.

I am looking to get something smaller than a laptop and bigger than a ipod touch.
Here is what I do, Music, (5k songs) Audiobooks, arcade games, check hotmail, surf the web, and youtube.

I have done lots of research and thoroughly confused my self, .... I turn to the community for help.

Thanks ahead of time

Boats
US Navy Retired

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
If I were going to buy a 7" tablet today I would definitely buy the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7. At $250 it is powerful, runs ICS out of the box, gets very good battery life, has micro SD expansion. The build quality is top notch. If you are not in that much of a hurry, then you might want to wait for the Google/Asus Nexus tablet or the Asus memo since either or both will come with a quad core processor.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Boats, there are many good tablets starting to populate the $250 range. If you are not in a rush it might be worth waiting. For your described uses really anything will work pretty well. If you want the option to have cameras, GPS different ports etc. then you may want to seek a full featured tablet such as the Samsung or one of the forthcoming Google tablets.

If cost is a consideration and you are ok without cameras and GPS then a used or refurbished Nook Color or Nook Tablet is the way to go. You will get all of the abilities you are looking for well under the $250 mark. There are other tablets in this lower price range as well (Coby, Ainol, etc.) but I think the Nooks have them licked for reliability, support and ease of software modification.

So in short, go for a used or refurbished Nook Color or Nook Tablet over Kindle Fire. If you want a more featured tablet in the $250+ price range, the Samsung is a good starting point but you may want to wait and see what comes out in the next 6 months in that price range.

JP

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
So I'm quite sure you all have seen this before so please humor an old man...Looking into getting something smaller than a laptop, bigger than an ipod touch.

I Listen to music, (about 5k songs in my collection), audiobooks, email, a few games (arcade type) check hotmail and surf the web.

Now that I have done all the research and thoroughly confused myself, I turn to you.... Suggestions please.

thank you all in advance.

Boats
US Navy Retired

Hi Boats, welcome to the forum, yes, you really have lots of choices!
Maybe you can take a look at the Ainol novo 7 Aurora. It's a good 7 inch tablet PC with IPS screen, and latest android 4.0 OS, good for reading, email,web browsing, and of course a good music player... hope you can get what you want soon! :)