NOOKcolor Full Specifications

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Didn't know NC had it's own section. I'll be here a lot. :)

NOOKcolor full specs:

• PCB: Foxconn ML1 S 94V-0

• CPU Processor: ARM Cortex A8-based Ti OMAP 3621 @ 800 MHz (same processor as Droid 2 and Droid X)

• GPU Processor: PowerVR SGX530 Graphics Rendering: Open GLES1.1/2.0 Hardware Scaling: 854x480 scaled to 1024x600 Video Formats: .3GP, .MP4, .3G2 ** Video Codecs: H.263, H.264, MPEG-4, ON2 VP7 ** Image Formats: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP ** (same GPU as Droid 2 and Droid X)

• RAM: 512MB Hynix H8MBX00U0MER-0EM MCM (Stacked Chips 2x256MB each die mDDR)

• Internal Flash: 8GB Sandisk SDIN4C1-8g
  • Removable Flash: 32GB via microSDHC

• Radio: Chip ID Ti wl1271 (kernel reports wl1273) Chip supports bluetooth transmit/recieve and fm radio functions through the same antenna, but is not enabled in software drivers. Connectivity: 802.11b/g/n Security: WEP/WPA/WPA2/802.1x Mode: Infrastructure

• Audio: Ti TLV320DAC3100 Codec 3.5mm Headset Jack (TRS 3-Pole) - no mic input Single Rear Speaker PWM Headphone Amp Headphone Detection Mic Amp and ADC (Mic input not available) Audio Formats: .3GP, .3G2, .MP4, .AMR, .MP3, .MID, .XMF, .MXMF, .RTTL, .OTA, .IMY, .WAV, .OGG, .ACC ** Audio Codecs: ACC, ACC+, AMR, MP3, MIDI, LPCM **

• Power Management: Texas Instruments TPS65921 PMIC Integrated Power Management IC with 3 DC/DC's, 4 LDO's, USB HS Transceiver

• Battery: "Barnes & Noble" labeled 3.7V 4000mAh 14.8Wh Li-ion battery Battery Life: ~8 hours

• Physical Specifications Dimensions: 8.1" (205mm) L x 5" (127mm) W x 0.48" (12.2mm) D Weight: ~15.8oz (~422g)

• Micro-B USB 2.0 High-Speed
  • Accelerometer

• Input Virtual QWERTY Keyboard On-Screen Soft-Keys ** 'n' Home button Power\Lock button Volume Up\Down buttons

Last edited:

tigersgt

Dec 9, 2010
This's great. I was thinking to get a 8" android tablet to read PDF books but couldn't decide on which to buy. Looks like Nook Color is the choice given that it might have custom rom (CM) soon.

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
The hardware is almost perfect - 800 MHz A8, 512MB, Capacitive screen. It just lacks HDMI out, a Mic and camera(not that important to me). A back button would be nice too, but I don't see one mentioned anywhere. Froyo would top it all off(maybe coming in Jan 2011). Anyone know if this will handle the AC3 codec? Maybe through a software player? I can pick one up right now for about 268 with tax, free shipping from B&N. Ready to pull trigger...but...must wait....for better...ughhh...

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
The hardware is almost perfect - 800 MHz A8, 512MB, Capacitive screen. It just lacks HDMI out, a Mic and camera(not that important to me). A back button would be nice too, but I don't see one mentioned anywhere. Froyo would top it all off(maybe coming in Jan 2011). Anyone know if this will handle the AC3 codec? Maybe through a software player? I can pick one up right now for about 268 with tax, free shipping from B&N. Ready to pull trigger...but...must wait....for better...ughhh...

The NC does play Dixv/xvid/ac3 with: RockPlayerBase: The Android AVI, MKV, DIVX and RMVB player | OMG Android

Installed and works great, just played a test dixv/ac3 video.

Pull the trigger. :)

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
Thanks for your reply rico and the link. Its good to hear AC3 will work. Now I'm still debating - I like the stereo speakers on the front of the Archos 70 - but only 256MB of RAM and the screen is not as nice as the NC. I also hear the A70 is having Wifi issues. I think the NC has the best quality of any device currently available in its price range. But the price is a bit high for me - and I really can't even consider that rebate tigersgt - it seems risky to trade my email and a possible lifetime of spam for a rebate that won't even arive until February if at all(see my post in your other thread). Still the trigger finger is itching...and the specs are so nearly perfect...

I should also add that I think its an almost sure thing that it will get 2.2 - I think they planned it from the start. Why else would they put 512MB of RAM in it when 2.1 can only access 256?

Even thought it costs a bit more than I wanted to spend, I think it will have a longer useful life than some of the cheaper ones - which will save in the long run. So any idea where I might find one cheaper?

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hi Jack,

I've been playing with the NC for a few days and have to say I really enjoy it. Do you have an Android smart phone? If so, it will give you something to compare and judge. Also, I should point out that your local Barnes and Noble will offer you a full refund through 1/30, so I say XMAS-gift yourself, give it a few weeks, and take it for a spin!

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for your reply rico and the link. Its good to hear AC3 will work. Now I'm still debating - I like the stereo speakers on the front of the Archos 70 - but only 256MB of RAM and the screen is not as nice as the NC. I also hear the A70 is having Wifi issues. I think the NC has the best quality of any device currently available in its price range. But the price is a bit high for me - and I really can't even consider that rebate tigersgt - it seems risky to trade my email and a possible lifetime of spam for a rebate that won't even arive until February if at all(see my post in your other thread). Still the trigger finger is itching...and the specs are so nearly perfect...

I should also add that I think its an almost sure thing that it will get 2.2 - I think they planned it from the start. Why else would they put 512MB of RAM in it when 2.1 can only access 256?

Even thought it costs a bit more than I wanted to spend, I think it will have a longer useful life than some of the cheaper ones - which will save in the long run. So any idea where I might find one cheaper?

Well although the NC does play AC3, it only has a mono speaker. When Bluetooth becomes available on the NC, which should be shortly, you will be able to get a stereo Bluetooth headset or speakers. I use my Motorola T505 car speaker all the time with my HTC Evo and look forward to using it on the NC. So I’m sure there are other more stereo devices that could be used.

I’ve used android 2.1 and 2.2 with both 256mb and 512mb and have to say there is a huge difference in performance. The added memory goes along way, when you are talking multi-tacking and running multiple applications. Yes you are correct, they knew ahead of time of the limits of 2.1 and the upgrade of 2.2, They most likely didn’t want to miss the xmas season and pushed their product out and refine it later.

I’m completely happy with my purchase and have absolutely no buyer remorse. The NC is actually turning out better than I thought, with each day tweaking it little by little.

Finding it cheaper, well forget it. I’m one that always likes to save a buck but I have looked and looked and found nothing. I ultimately gave in and just brought it at a total of $268. After you play with it for a few hours, you realize it’s worth every penny and then some.

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
Thank you guys for the replies. I don't have an android phone but I've been playing with the emulator from the SDK. I setup several profiles matching the OS version, RAM, resolution and pixel density of the various devices on my list to get a feel for the screen real estate and to see how the apps run. I noticed alot of apps don't quite work right at the higher resolutions, but that may improve over time. I think what you said about buyers remorse rico is an important point. I know if I get a cheaper tablet I'll regret it in 6 months (or even sooner). Sooo, trigger finger still warmed up...but seems to have cramped a bit...somebody pull my finger...

Last edited:

Myth

Aug 25, 2010
I had a slow day at work today, so i spent all morning online going back and fourth about whether to click the "checkout" button...and finally did it

Now to stalk the mailman.....

I say, be like me....just do it. :)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I had a slow day at work today, so i spent all morning online going back and fourth about whether to click the "checkout" button...and finally did it
Awesome! Come back with your first impressions and let us know if you root it and start installing apps!

-Matt

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
I done did it too. Its pulled. 3-6 business days from now - should arrive by Christmas eve. :)

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
Where have you seen that Bluetooth will become available on the Nook Color. AFAIK, it doesn't have a Bluetooth chip