NOOKcolor Full Specifications

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
Does anyone know the actual dimensions, length and width, of the screen area in millimeters. I see pandawill has a screen protector for about a buck fifty with dimensions of 152x91mm. Wondering if it will fit or work. Yeah, I'm cheap ;-).

Edit: Found some dimensions from google - can anyone confirm these are correct:
6.25 x 3.75 inches

which converts to:
158.75 x 95.25 mm

and makes the cheapo protector too small.

Yeah, the Nook Color is a bit odd sized compared to other tablets(its longer) - alot of the cases won't fit either.

Last edited:

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
so given the choice - nook color vs. haipad 701 vs Huawei S7?

ultimatly the question is should i say $50 and go with the NC versus the Huawai or should i save ~100 and go with the NC vs haipad - usage would be browsing, email, youtube, angry birds

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
so given the choice - nook color vs. haipad 701 vs Huawei S7?

ultimatly the question is should i say $50 and go with the NC versus the Huawai or should i save ~100 and go with the NC vs haipad - usage would be browsing, email, youtube, angry birds

It really depends on how badly you need the money and if you're willing to root the Nook of course. But if you can afford it, the Nook is a far better choice over the 701 - even if the 701 gets 2.2 as is rumored, I don't think it can ever do flash 10.1 due to the limitations of the CPU. As for the Huawei, I think it has 3G and a phone - if thats something you'll need then consider those.

Also consider the Nook has a capacitive screen, a faster CPU and 512MB of RAM - very good hardware at this price point which will provide a very smooth feeling experience with the device. Of course it lacks a mic(u can add an external), a camera, an HDMI port and has a questionable USB port(will it host anything? will it take a mouse or kb?)

For me, the capacitive screen rules all. Resistive screens can be an exercise in frustration, especially if, like me having had an iphone for the past several years, you're used to it. Although I have heard that the screen on the 701 is not so bad for resistive and I think I heard rumors about a capacitive version of the Huawei.

Having said all that, I'd get the Nook, which I just did ;-).

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I'm going to agree with JackOnan on this.

I like and enjoy my 701, but the Nook jumps the game up to a better class of hardware for the extra money.
I played with a capacitive screen device the other day and it's disturbing how awesome they work.
If I had to make the decision between the two it would also give me pause.

That being said, if you want to save that money and don't mind doing a little fiddling to get a resistive screen device "into the zone" for a great daily runner, the 701 is a pretty good value depending on what seller you get it from.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Does anyone know the actual dimensions, length and width, of the screen area in millimeters. I see pandawill has a screen protector for about a buck fifty with dimensions of 152x91mm. Wondering if it will fit or work. Yeah, I'm cheap ;-).

Edit: Found some dimensions from google - can anyone confirm these are correct:
6.25 x 3.75 inches

which converts to:
158.75 x 95.25 mm

and makes the cheapo protector too small.

Yeah, the Nook Color is a bit odd sized compared to other tablets(its longer) - alot of the cases won't fit either.

Mic’ed the screen, the dimensions are:
6.25” (158.75mm) L x 3.75” (95.25mm) W

Btw, the screen is glass so a screen protector is not necessary.... unless you drop it on a rock from 3-5 ft. or something, which would most likely crack the glass.

Myth

Aug 25, 2010
Awesome! Come back with your first impressions and let us know if you root it and start installing apps!

-Matt

Oh yes, I will definitely root...but I will probably wait until 2.2 comes out (hopefully, I can wait!) In fact, that was one of the selling points for me...that I can get that great capacitive screen for a low price and root it to open up all the possibilities.

Plus, it's just fun to root stuff :)

Dec 17, 2010
I've been researching tablets the past few weeks and so far, the Nook Color looks pretty good.

But I want more!

Is it possible to find an Android tablet with similar specs to the Nook with the following additions for less than $500?

1. Totally open - able to install whatever you want without rooting
2. Bluetooth
3. GPS (nice, but not mandatory)
4. Optional 3G or 4G data
5. HDMI
6. Two cameras - one that can do at least 720p if not 1080p and at least 2 megapixel stills, the other a front facing camera for video conferencing.
7. At least 512mb RAM, 1gb preferable. 2gb or more would be incredible.
8. Upgradeable to Android 3.0 would be nice.
9. Made by a well known company. I don't want to do mail order from some unknown Chinese company.
10. No contract.

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
I've been researching tablets the past few weeks and so far, the Nook Color looks pretty good.

But I want more!

Is it possible to find an Android tablet with similar specs to the Nook with the following additions for less than $500?

1. Totally open - able to install whatever you want without rooting
2. Bluetooth
3. GPS (nice, but not mandatory)
4. Optional 3G or 4G data
5. HDMI
6. Two cameras - one that can do at least 720p if not 1080p and at least 2 megapixel stills, the other a front facing camera for video conferencing.
7. At least 512mb RAM, 1gb preferable. 2gb or more would be incredible.
8. Upgradeable to Android 3.0 would be nice.
9. Made by a well known company. I don't want to do mail order from some unknown Chinese company.
10. No contract.

I think the Samsung Galaxy is the only one right now that will meet most of those requirements - but of course its not under 500. Alot of new tablets will be coming out over the next year, so you may have to wait for one with those specs.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2010
I think the Samsung Galaxy is the only one right now that will meet most of those requirements - but of course its not under 500. Alot of new tablets will be coming out over the next year, so you may have to wait for one with those specs.

Thanks. I'm planning to use my tax refund to buy a tablet, probably in late March, early April. Hopefully there'll be a bunch of new tablets announced at the January CES show.

Myth

Aug 25, 2010
That's a pretty good wishlist!

But it makes me think of a slightly modified version of that old joke:

"Good
Cheap
No Contract

Pick any two"

Dec 17, 2010
I'd really like something similar to the Dell Duo (converts from a notebook to a tablet) that can run Android, Chrome OS and Linux. The first company to do that for under $500 could corner the market.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@Bootstrap BIll

You are looking a little bit into the future with those specs, possibly in 6 months. Samsung tab is close but has a contract for the most part.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
The other thing I wasn't clear on was 3g/4g...but no contract? Are you thinking prepaid SIM card? Pay-as-you go?

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@Matt

He may be thinking about free 3G, which some of the Kindles have.