NOOKcolor Full Specifications

discothan

Feb 16, 2011
Just Do It! Considering that there will be a butt load of Android Tablets flooding the market at $500+, the NC is definitely a great purchase. As long as BN doesn't force upgrades to lock out functionality or even stop devs from developing rooting procedures, your $268 will go a very very very long way.

Did I just read....

"The NOOKcolor is using Texas Instrument WL1271 module which has WLAN (wifi), Bluetooth and FM radio"

Wow...when can we get those after market apps to make these things functional.

rickyc111

Feb 16, 2011
I just bought a NC last night. I came here looking for the NC specs. I have an Android Incredible with the B&N Nook reader on it. I wanted a bigger screen (but not too big) with similar features like browsing the interwebs and such, some gaming, and I wanted it to be in color. I liked the Kindle 3G, size and weight but its b&w 1950's style was dull an unappealing to me. Besides, when I heard about the NC hacks and Froyo, it had a world of potential beyond the rather steep price tag (for a device that was essentially marketed as a reading device). I played with it at B&N and BestBuy. I must have looked just as wild-eyed as the kids who were fondling the iPad. So, the Nook seemed the obvious choice. I would have bought it on the spot a month ago but I was saving up for a 3D TV.

When I got my tax refunds I bought both a 50" 3D (f**kin' amazing with 2D to 3D conversion) saved a bundle since the new models are coming out soon. Saved enough to get the NC the next day. As a retired guy with a live-out (as opposed to a live-in) girlfriend I have lots of time for my own passions without dealing with her honey-do lists. I can procrastinate all day playing COD Black Ops in 3D (can hardly wait for Crysis2) and still have time to tinker with the NC too.
I've watched vids on youtube that demonstrate lots of how-to hacks. Honeycomb interests me most since it's run off the micro sdhc media without actually hacking the device so that I can still get my free read-on at B&N something not possible with the hacks (or so I heard). Anyway, thanks for the detailed specs. This site is the best!

My only concern at this point is which micro sdhc card is best. 16 or 32, class 4, 6 or 10. Newegg has a 32 GB class 10 for $82 (Wintec brand). Never heard of them. I just had a Kingston 8 GB class 4 fail on my Android phone (took over 20 hours to transfer about 6 GBs at 72kbs onto the computer -- the phone wouldn't even recognize the sdhc card). So, I'm hesitant to trust a lesser brand too. Reviews weren't more impressive either. So, for now I'm on pause with any hacks or ROMs.
Any good suggestions I'm certain to find them on other threads here.
BTW, when I'm finished I'll upload a screenshot to 'that other thread' and join the club... :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi ricky, welcome and congrats on your new nook (and tv). Other than going with an unrecognized brand you can't really go wrong with any of the micro sd cards listed. Obviously if you want a faster card you should go with a higher class but it isn't necessary. It seems most users here are opting for class 4 or 6 with no real speed issues. The size is entirely up to you. If you want movies and music 16 or 32 GB is probably going to be best.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Hey Ricky if there is a Radio Shack in your neighborhood they are selling 8gb class 4 sdhc for roughly $20. It's what I have been using from the word go and it has been excellent SanDisk 8GB microSDHC Memory Card : SanDisk Memory Cards | RadioShack.com just make sure you check that it indeed class4. The RS guys in my 'hood couldn't tell the diff(?) so just make sure you double check the for (C4) on the chip you aught to be fine.

And welcome to the forums all you need to know to get the most out of your NookColor is contained in these here threads. Be careful though if you hang out here too much you will catch a nasty case of "Tinkeritus".

Cheers,

LS

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Any size micoroSD card will work fine and as for speed, the NC will run any speeds up to class 10, although most people use class 4 or 6, which is sufficient. Personally I believe the best speed and file reliability comes from quality memory made by companies such as SanDisk, PNY, Kingston, Patriot, Transcend.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'm no hardware expert but some of the extra pins are for higher/faster charging capacity.

dmcfarland

May 15, 2011
This is why I like android over crapple's snob pad. You can take a reader and turn into somewhat of a great tablet pc with a new rom which is essentially a distro. Awesomesauce!!!