NOOKcolor Owners thread

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
Thanks for the advice Matt and Steve.
Rico, I found your tutorial (how to) for the ROM Manager and Clockwork Recovery over on the technical thread and everything clicked until I tried the "backup" step and then I got the following:

$20110201_36.JPG

Should I put a new image on the sd card? Also, I installed ROM Manager from Market. Could that be the problem? I really don't know how to install using any other method yet, but I'm sure I'll learn before too long. :confused:

Thanks.

Sue

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
You can download Rom Manager from the market. Did you flash clockwork recovery in Rom Manager before you backed-up.

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
Well, now I'm totally confused. I have an 8 GB sd card but when I check the file size on it, it shows that I have 896 MB free out of 898 MB. The file size for the NC shows that I have 4.57 gigabytes free out of 5 gb. Theoretically, even if those numbers are correct I should have enough memory available on the card, but I don't understand how an 8 gb card can only have 898 MB on it. (Do they leave off a zero when they tell how much room is available?) Maybe I've formatted it too many times! Maybe some data is hiding away that isn't getting erased when I format? Maybe I'm having a senior moment?

Thanks,

Sue

It's got to be something wrong with the card. I just tried reloading the clockwork image file on the card and it shows that I don't have enough room.

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Maybe I've formatted it too many times! Maybe some data is hiding away that isn't getting erased when I format? Maybe I'm having a senior moment?

Thanks,

Sue

Is this multiple choice? :D

You may want to copy everything off your SD card onto your PC, I created a folder specifically for the contents of my SD cards...and make sure there are no partitions on that card...I believe if you format the card with the nook, it will remove all partitions when it formats...then see how big the storage is.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Sue, sorry I lost track of where you're at...but when you burn an image of the autonooter on your sdcard (maybe you burned an image of another file?), it will "repartition" the card to trick the system into thinking it's a certain size. In the case of autonooter it looks like a 39MB scdard. Again, I'm not sure what step you're working on, but when you're done with the card (don't need to boot or install off of it anymore) you can boot your Nook, put the card in, go to the system menu, and reformat it. That will give you your 8GBs (more or less) back!

EDIT: OK Vic, that's it. From now on, I'm waiting 15 minutes before I answer any new questions!!! :p

-Matt

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
And the system menu can be found where?

Sue

Edit: I found it. That was too simple. And yes, my almost 8 GB are back. Thanks, guys!

Sue

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
And the system menu can be found where?

Sue

press that little arrow thing in the middle of the notification bar...click settings, the about my nook (i think) its the first one on the top...then you should unmount my sd card...and when it unmounts, the format my sd card will show up (make sure you have copied all your stuff off there first)

teamsowers

Feb 1, 2011
Hey all... I am not nearly as tech savvy as most of the forum members on here (maybe 1/100th of a percent or so) but I'd love to "join" your group... I don't own a NOOKcolor (yet) so you might ask why... For Christmas I had asked my husband for either a new laptop (in case finances were good for the holidays) or a NOOKcolor (in case finances weren't so good for the holidays) - (if finances were really tight pj's are always my "go to" request)...

Christmas morning came and I unwrapped - - - a brand new laptop...

Don't get me wrong - it is awesomely, incredibly wonderful and I wouldn't trade it for the world - but... I haven't stopped fantasizing of a NOOKcolor since I opened my new laptop Christmas morning... How awful is that?!? I feel so unappreciative (greedy even) - :eek:...

I'm an obsessive compulsive "researcher." Anything I even contemplate purchasing is "researched" obsessively for days (even weeks - sometimes months) on end - until I have thoroughly talked myself out of something or worse yet - thoroughly convinced myself of my need for it... Obviously the NOOKcolor came down on the side of "can't fathom living my life without it" - so...

I am eagerly counting the days until there is a brand new - BEAUTIFUL - NOOKcolor in my hands to call my very own!!!

:) :D ;) :) :D ;)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Crystal[teamsowers], don't feel so bad. I had a pretty similar situation. I got my wife the new latop for Christmas (which I am actually using now) knowing full well that I would most likely be using her new laptop quite a bit. I decided on Dec. 23 decided to order the Nook for myself for Christmas to distract. It turns out they are two completely different devices with different experiences. For the most part the Nook has kept me off the laptop but there are certain things each is better at. I would say you are perfectly within reason (coming from a Nook owner of course) to have both.

Besides having that new laptop will come in handy when rooting and fooling with your Nook. Good luck and let us know when you are ready to root.

-JP

Last edited:

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
My wife had a similar problem for Christmas.. Before I got the Nook bug, she told me she wanted a Zune HD. So, I got her a Zune HD just like she wanted. Then she saw the Nook that she got me and how cool this rooting this has made it. Yeah, you guessed it, she wants a Nook now hehehe