NOOKcolor Owners thread

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
sorry noob question, how do I join this NC owners thread officially? Or did I already? thanks

Two ways: Make your signature show that you have a NC and/or post a screen shot (press small "n" key and volume down key at same time to take screen shot).

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OMG, talk about "the truth hurts"! :(

Overcoming Nookoholism: An 8 Step Program

1. Admit there is a problem (to your wife by explaining the Nook Color you bought her for Christmas is really for you).
2. Connect to a higher power (by plugging in the USB cable and FULLY charging the battery)
3. Take control of the situation (by rooting and installing your favorite launcher and apps)

... more to come
RE: #1 I spent 4 hours on the NC after dinner last night, trying to figure out how to transcode 60fps HD video. I kept testing 1-minute clips on the NC until it played perfectly. Every hour my wife came downstairs, "Can I read now...?" "Not yet...give me another 10 minutes..." How humiliating...went upstairs at 11:30 and she had given up, and was reading her old Sony eBook.

RE: #2 Getting kind of tired of plug in/unplug/plug in/unplug! Need to explore that wireless ADB thingie!

RE: #3 I mistakenly thought that by becoming rooted, I gained superpowers. No...just superUSER powers. What a letdown. I wave my hand at the microwave, the washing machine, the alarm clock...nothing happens. :(

-Matt

gregh

Jan 3, 2011
OMG, talk about "the truth hurts"! :(

RE: #1 I spent 4 hours on the NC after dinner last night, trying to figure out how to transcode 60fps HD video. I kept testing 1-minute clips on the NC until it played perfectly. Every hour my wife came downstairs, "Can I read now...?" "Not yet...give me another 10 minutes..." How humiliating...went upstairs at 11:30 and she had given up, and was reading her old Sony eBook.

RE: #2 Getting kind of tired of plug in/unplug/plug in/unplug! Need to explore that wireless ADB thingie!

RE: #3 I mistakenly thought that by becoming rooted, I gained superpowers. No...just superUSER powers. What a letdown. I wave my hand at the microwave, the washing machine, the alarm clock...nothing happens. :(

-Matt

what resolution you saved the clip as for it to play?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
what resolution you saved the clip as for it to play?
Quick answer: I set the width to 720, and then checked the box that keeps the original aspect ratio (in my case, 16x9).

I've been thinking about making a thread that walks through the steps, so that others don't have to spend so much time experimenting!

I used Handbrake, by the way. Let me know if you have more questions!

-Matt

dragonslayer

Jan 4, 2011
Two ways: Make your signature show that you have a NC and/or post a screen shot (press small "n" key and volume down key at same time to take screen shot).

thanks for the tip! will do this once I figure out how to share the screen shot to a website. cant seem to get photobucket to work. :-(

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
thanks for the tip! will do this once I figure out how to share the screen shot to a website. cant seem to get photobucket to work. :-(
OH, it's even easier: just click the icon in the formatting box above your message that looks like a little picture, and an "Insert Image" dialog will pop up. Navigate to the screenshot (if your NC is plugged in to the PC) or on your computer (if you copied it to your PC) and you're all set!

-Matt

Dizmatic

Dec 17, 2010
Another Nook owner here. Loving it. It's funny, someone gave me a nice gift card to B&N. Wish I could of use this to buy my Nook Color but I am happy with the purchase.

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010

You can upload screenshots directly from your hard drive if you use the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom right.

Edit: DOH! gadgetrants beat me to it :)

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
Quick answer: I set the width to 720, and then checked the box that keeps the original aspect ratio (in my case, 16x9).

I've been thinking about making a thread that walks through the steps, so that others don't have to spend so much time experimenting!

I used Handbrake, by the way. Let me know if you have more questions!

-Matt

Yes, make a thread(or maybe use the existing one about video). I've used Handbrake occasionaly in the past and have been experimenting with it for NC videos as well.

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
I have been very tempted to buy a color Nook but one thing has been holding me back. I doubt the color Nook will be able to run Android 3 (honeycomb). Nobody knows for sure, but it is a fair guess. There are still relatively few Android 2.x tablets out right now and they may well be abandoned by developers if they are not upgradeable. There are additional APIs in Android 3 which developers are likely to take advantage of when writing new programs. Those new programs will not be compatible with tablets still running Android 2.x I know a person could wait forever if they are worried about the next update, but Android 3 is the first version really designed for tablets. A tablet designed for the new OS stands a better chance of being upgradable. Just my $0.02.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Did you see the gorgeous preview of Honeycomb on Engadget?

Google shows off Android 3.0, the 'Entirely for Tablet' Honeycomb (video) -- Engadget

I have the same hunch as you...I suspect that 2.2 is the end of the road for the NookColor. But as fellow Droid owners like to point out: the HTC Eris is running Froyo (it also looks like there's a Honeycomb port to the Eris!!! How To Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on HTC Droid Eris | Google | RizwanAshraf.com) is one example of what can happen.

I also have a hunch that my Droid will get Honeycomb even though it will probably lack the "minimal" required hardware. If that's the case, then it's a good bet that the NookColor will get a modded version of Honeycomb, if not the original (which would be modified by B&N anyway).

Here is what I think it comes down to: what are your needs for a tablet? If you want to read, browse web pages, do email, and play games, then the Nook is a fabulous device. It has an amazing display, a very responsive touchscreen, and if you're OK with rooting it, it's a blast to modify. If on the other hand you need GPS, camera, 3G, HDMI, and other various goodies, then I'd wait until Q2 and see what Motorola, Asus, Toshiba, Acer, and the other major manufacturers have in store. Of course you won't find anything with all that under $300, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Either way, welcome to the forum!

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Yes the NC won't run android 3.0 but I for one, don't care. :) In this age, devices especially mobile devices, have short lives and are quickly replaced by devices with better hardware and software. There will always be something better down the road. That's just how it goes these days. Come to think of it, I upgraded my cell phone 3 times last year. I imagine there will be a Nookcolor 2 or some variation of the current NC that will be out to run the new software out there. This is that I tell people on other computer forums I'm on: If you holding out 6 months for something better, you will be waiting forever b/c there is always something in the horizon that is better than the current.

The best you can do is get a device that suits your needs and enjoy it.

Last edited:

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
enjoying my Rooted NC - and my home screen

using
Widgets
Power control
Beautiful Weather
Battery Solo
Button Savior
Typoclock

Attachments