NOOKcolor Owners thread

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Just saw this on Facebook site for anyone that is interested.:

We're pleased to announce that we're offering over 130 NOOKbook titles from Kaplan Publishing for FREE through January 17. You'll find a wide range of Kaplan's indispensable test prep books for PSAT, AP, SAT, GMAT, GRE, MCAT and more. Plus we're offering other great general interest titles like Math for Moms and Dads and Write For Life. So whether you're a parent with school-age children, a college student preparing for graduate school, or a reader interested in a wide range of self-improvement titles, we have plenty of excellent free Kaplan NOOKbooks that will meet your needs.

Find the full offering of over 130 titles here.

NOOK owners: go to shop, and search “Kaplan” to download these books.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
some of you old hacks may know this already but some of us newbies might benefit from a couple of discoveries i had

use Awesome Drop app to quickly move files from pc to your tablet without connecting the usb - works great especially when i am remoting into my desktop from work and wanted to move files to my tablet - also great way to move apks and install them

another tip - as you know creating a shortcut on your home screen does not currently work - the work around (at least on Zeam) is to open the app tray, press and hold the app icon a few seconds and then the app tray automatically closes and you can then drop the shortcut to your home screen
Awesome Drop sounds awesome! ;) Is there a filesize limit? I have to try it!

RE: shortcuts, you might want to explore Desktop Visualizer, which is not only (a) another route to installing shortcuts on the desktop, but also (b) it offers the option of setting how large you want the desktop icon to be, and more importantly, if you want to use an image file as the icon. Some Android users have exploited it to create really unusual and interesting homescreens:

[Layout] - Android Phone 7 (as seen on xda-forums, now fits D1!) - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

$ap7layout.png

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
My first hunch was "iPad" but I saw that was ruled out. I guess I'd like to have a better idea what the granddaughter's level of physical skill is like. Having taught a few college students with cerebral palsy, I would probably lean toward something more like a "toy" media player that can be dropped, and has large buttons that are easy to push. But maybe her symptoms are mild, and she can use her hands fairly well.

More details please!

-Matt

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Hey Matt i've tried as much as 5MB, haven't tried more than that but tonight will try to move a 100MB movie

great rec on Desktop Visualizer - will try it

Awesome Drop sounds awesome! ;) Is there a filesize limit? I have to try it!

RE: shortcuts, you might want to explore Desktop Visualizer, which is not only (a) another route to installing shortcuts on the desktop, but also (b) it offers the option of setting how large you want the desktop icon to be, and more importantly, if you want to use an image file as the icon. Some Android users have exploited it to create really unusual and interesting homescreens:

View attachment 701

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
My first hunch was "iPad" but I saw that was ruled out. I guess I'd like to have a better idea what the granddaughter's level of physical skill is like. Having taught a few college students with cerebral palsy, I would probably lean toward something more like a "toy" media player that can be dropped, and has large buttons that are easy to push. But maybe her symptoms are mild, and she can use her hands fairly well.

More details please!

-Matt

Yes all true, so any suggestions? She used an ipad for 3 days.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update to OP: Owners list is up to date: 1-8-2011

Added:
-J515OP
-illdill

Welcome to the club. :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks rico2001. I am loving this device and can't believe it costs half the price of comparable tablets.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
$11-01-09-7.png

Well, here is a screenshot of my NC *Rooted via the MicroSD in my Samsung Impression (non-smartphone) (Yes, apparently, I am THAT crazy)

Do I get my name on the owners list now?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Well, here is a screenshot of my NC *Rooted via the MicroSD in my Samsung Impression (non-smartphone) (Yes, apparently, I am THAT crazy)
Aw man that's mild. You're not ready for an intervention. ;)

-Matt