NOOKcolor Owners thread

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I wanna join! But everytime I try to take a screenshot of my nook, I end up with a big old volume down icon in it. What am I doing wrong?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I wanna join! But everytime I try to take a screenshot of my nook, I end up with a big old volume down icon in it. What am I doing wrong?
This should work: hold down that "n" button, and then quickly press and release the volume-down (fast tap). After a delay you'll hear the confirmation sound and then the notification tray will update!

-Matt

Terabyt3Bob

Jan 23, 2011
Hey Bob (awesome screen name!). :) I've rooted 4 or 5 times and STILL had trouble with ADB the last time. :( What I realized and finally worked out is that in Device Manager, I needed to IGNORE the entries (was it called "Portable Devices") where the Nook showed up as "Nook" and "external drive" and focus instead down on the list of USB controllers. When I found right entry under USB controllers and updated the driver using the one I'd put in the ADB folder, voila it worked! Not sure if that is meaningful info, but I hope it helps!

-Matt

Hi Matt, this info does have some meaning to me, and I'm going to tinker with this fact. So far everything I've wanted to install on my Nook I've found on the market so it's sort of a loose end, but an exercise I want to tie up because I know it'll become important down the road.

Some users here have posted some down-right inspiring screen shots, I will say that.

Thanks so much,
Bob

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
It ain't much, but it gets the job done.

$Nook Screen.jpg

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hi Matt, this info does have some meaning to me, and I'm going to tinker with this fact. So far everything I've wanted to install on my Nook I've found on the market so it's sort of a loose end, but an exercise I want to tie up because I know it'll become important down the road.

Some users here have posted some down-right inspiring screen shots, I will say that.

Thanks so much,
Bob
Well, I've reread my message and it may be in gibberish, but let me know if you make progress with ADB! I know it's a pain, and several people have struggled to get it working. I have to tell you, though, when you type "adb devices" at the command prompt, and your Nook serial number appears, it's very cool!

You do know you that the screenshot function is built into the stock Nook, right? You can upload yours anytime!

-Matt

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
Hey all. Been having a blast trying this & that & then trying to remember what was what!
The current clock is "Make Your Clock" & it's so configurable that it's almost annoying, 'cause you can keep changing it & saving different versions. Like right now I am going to change the year font to match & maybe try a different time font.
Cheers,
kev

11-01-24-6.png

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update to OP: Owners list is up to date: 1-25-2011

Added:
-bugeyed
-Stelv
-RaVenJ

Really like the space wallpapers, makes me want to change mine. The NC has really crisp black color. :)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Space wallpapers are cool. The screen on the NC is outstanding. I'll have to try that "make your own clock" app.

Sent from my Droid

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
Well, I purchased my NC a couple of weeks ago, and hacked it almost immediately (took me two tries). I've been looking for a good forum to join and just discovered this one. Looks like just what I need, as I know almost nothing about the Android Apps. I have installed a few, but it is very hit or miss and I am totally unsure about the Softkeys app. I learn a lot by reading reviews and forum comments, so eventually I'm sure I'll figure most of it out (I do lots of googling and wikiing). If anyone knows of a site where I can get a handle on the android apps (what the best ones are and what they do), I would sure appreciate it if you would post the information.
I'm too embarrassed to upload my screenshot - it is soooo boring, but as soon as I get something worth looking at, I'll send it along.
This seems like a great group and I'm looking forward to being part of it.

heliosue

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
Oops! I already screwed up. I didn't put my Nook Color in my signature in my previous post. I had to go back and change my signature again.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey Sue! As a former Californian (I stress "former") I like to groan and complain when I see other west-coast forum members, but I'll just say "HI!" this time and not express my envy!

Seriously, I think you picked a fabulous forum...the skill level here ranges from new owner to moderately advanced, so you'll fit right in. :) Don't hesitate to post a question if you run into a problem.

The app issue is a good one. I know as a Droid owner, last year, I just started out by asking myself what kinds of things I might want to use on a daily basis...calendar, photo album, maps and navigation, phone book, games, videos, etc. And then I randomly downloaded and tried things out. If you haven't visited the AppBrain website, it's a good place to begin exploring the full spectrum of Android apps (AppBrain Android Market - Download the best Android Apps and Games). Also, there is a helpful list of working apps for the Nook at nookDevs: NookColor working apps - nookDevs. That will probably pique your interest!

Congrats on getting rooting to work. That's a big step and something to brag about!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I forgot to ask: have you installed a launcher/homescreen program yet? A popular choice here seems to be Zeam, which allows you to easily add app shortcuts and widgets to your homescreen. If you haven't tried a homescreen replacement app yet, note that once you've installed it, every time you press the "home" button a dialog box will come up asking which one (e.g., B&N, SoftKeys, Zeam) you want to use. There is a hard-to-see button on the at box that will make your choice the default, if you enable it first.

Also, regarding SoftKeys, several of us have switched over to Button Savior, which does the same thing, but perhaps a little better. ;) I suggest checking that out too.

-Matt

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Rico, I was looking for you ,! just found out that one has to press the button to say thankyou and I want to thank you for the push and the help you and Matt gave me when I rooted.
Gloria the cave man