NOOKcolor - Useful Links and Frequently Asked Questions (READ FIRST)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
actually, no I did not...and here is my reasoning...one reason I wanted to do this was to clean up the code and clutter. Follow this path started at 1.0.0>update to 1.0.1>autonooter 1.0.1>update to 1.1 with custom ROM (that's where I was going to be)

Now...start at 1.0.0>update 1.0.1>update 1.1>autorooter 1.1 (and the autorooter for 1.1 was essentially the same as 1.0.1 except he changed one file for 1.1)

To me that seems to be a cleaner upgrade process, and once I get everything installed, I will put on Clockwork and make a backup...that will be my 'clean' backup that I can always default back to.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Your answer helps me realize that my question probably doesn't make sense (I mean that as a compliment, not an insult!): I think what I was thinking was "What a pain to have to reinstall everything" but that's what Astro or Titanium (you have a new file manager, right?) are for, not CWR. *sigh* I think my blood-sugar must be low!

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Oh yeah, astro is installed...but it wasn't the first thing I did...the very first thing...grab a wallpaper and throw it up there (just so I didn't have to look at the stupid Nook default wallpaper! LOL

I am cheating though...I am on appbrain.com and it listed all the apps I had installed previously, so I am going from one to the next reinstalling...so it isn't taking long at all.

Last edited:

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Nice work guys. So, if one is darn early in the process (unless you count the number of hours it took) is there an easy way to go to 1.1.0 rooted from my darn fresh/uncluttered rooted 1.0.1?

thanks
roger

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
If you want to go from rooted 1.0.1 to 1.1, there is the easy way (install the 1.1 ROM with the new market, which kills appbrain) or do it the way I did it...take it back to default, install all the updates, then run the newer 1.1autonooter

Roger my friend, your timing is surely off...you fought with OTA updates, and finally got rooted into 1.0.1 then they release a rooted 1.1...oh, btw, my rooted 1.1 doesn't have the new market, so appbrain still works! :D

Heck, you might be able to run the autorooted 1.1 over the top of your rooted 1.0.1...he said he only changed one thing

To put this together, I removed the needed file from the 1.0.1 framework.jar and installed it into the stock sideload_update 1.1 framework.jar.

If you are going to go back to 1.0.0 a friendly reminder (one I forgot, so learn from my mistake) UNINSTALL CWR FIRST! There is a workaround, but it took 30 minutes for me to find it, download the needed files, setup ADB on my work computer, blah blah blah...

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Tip: During the rooting process, after you open Youtube and sign in through 'My Channel'...if you click on sign out after the Nook has verified your credentials, then your Youtube app will function correctly. If you don't, it will probably fail upon opening later.

Also, make sure to get into the settings and put a check mark next to High Quality on Mobile for better video quality on your Nook.

oogam

Feb 5, 2011
How do I know if I have 1.0.1 or 1.1 want to root it but just don't want to screw it up not computer savy at all.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
How do I know if I have 1.0.1 or 1.1 want to root it but just don't want to screw it up not computer savy at all.

Go to settings...device info...about my nook

Sent via the ether that used to be my mind...

jettadroid

Feb 6, 2011
Hey all,

You guys are great...
I rooted my NC just after Christmas and have been updating,one way or another, since.
Just updated to 1.1 (by going to stock) and rooted with auto nooter 3.0 - worked w/ youtube and market working -
then I chose the gingerbread keyboard - it does not work, and I now do not have any keyboard access -
anyone know of a quick fix? Thanks

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Hey all,

You guys are great...
I rooted my NC just after Christmas and have been updating,one way or another, since.
Just updated to 1.1 (by going to stock) and rooted with auto nooter 3.0 - worked w/ youtube and market working -
then I chose the gingerbread keyboard - it does not work, and I now do not have any keyboard access -
anyone know of a quick fix? Thanks

Okay, you will need a file manager that can change the status of system files...I use Super Manager (its free in the market), but you could use a version of Root Explorer as well.

Here is how I did it (just now to verify)

Open Super Manager

Select File Manager

Navigate to the /system folder internally...tap that

It will ask if you want to switch system to r/w..tap r/w (this is allowing you read/write access to the system folder, so be careful)

tap on app

scroll down to find and tap on gingerbread.apk

tap install

It will ask if you want to replace the application, tap okay

tap install

tap done

close out of Super Manager

Open NookColor Tools

Choose keyboard

Select Gingerbread keyboard

You are done!

(As a note, Super Manager will remember the last folder you visited, and you can just use the back button to navigate backwards to the main screen for other uses)

A quick fix to get a keyboard working again is just to open NookColor Tools and choose the multi-touch keyboard again.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You should update to 1.1 (or possibly 1.0.1 if you don't want the latest B&N software and minor rooting issues that go with it) for the most updated B&N software and then use the auto-nooter fore 1.1. Shold be pretty straight forward.

To update to 1.1 B&N has insturction on their website and can also be found here in one of the threads since rico just reposeted them. Then follow the auto-nootering steps here or on youtube.