Not able to do Recovery from Microsd

egrytz

Jun 18, 2011
My USB port is not working (probably broken) and I cannot connect to a PC. I am stuck in a recovery boot loop (CWM .8), and I have been consistently trying to start it all over again with the recovery command and update.zip from the MicroSD, using both the /sdcard2 and /sdcard options in the command line. It still didnt work. What could I try to do, alternatively? Di I lose my tablet?

Thanks in advance,

Eduardo

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
My USB port is not working (probably broken) and I cannot connect to a PC. I am stuck in a recovery boot loop (CWM .8)
Hope not. If you are stuck in boot loop, a preferred method is to nvflash it. Have you tried ?
I have been consistently trying to start it all over again with the recovery command and update.zip from the MicroSD, using both the /sdcard2 and /sdcard options in the command line.
Are you trying to flash a rom image or CWM ?

Dave

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Sounds like your getting yourself mixed up. I wait for your reply to mydave's questions.

egrytz

Jun 18, 2011
Hi dave and Fuganater,

As far as I know (I did this already with an USB cable), I am no longer able to NVFlash, as my mini-USB is not working, and I my PC does not recognize the device from the USB. I am trying to flash a rom image. I have CWM accessible in the gtablet, but I am not able to access any update.zip from the internal memory or .from my microsd card.

Thank you very much for the help!

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Very strange !

As far as I know (I did this already with an USB cable), I am no longer able to NVFlash, as my mini-USB is not working

The USB connection worked before ? Have you tried another USB cable ?

my PC does not recognize the device from the USB

Tried another cable ? I assumed that you know about 'activate usb transfer' on the tablet before the PC can see the tablet. Am I right ?

I am trying to flash a rom image. I have CWM accessible in the gtablet, but I am not able to access any update.zip

Is an update.zip of a rom's image on the internal sd card ?

. . . from my microsd card.

You could insert an external sd card into a PC, then copy the rom's recovery folder + update.zip file to it. The command file in the recovery folder must be pointed to sdcard2. Then you insert the sd card into the tablet and boot up into recovery. The tablet will scan and will load the new rom on the external sd card. You know this method, don't you ?
Note that, you should wipe data & factory reset using cwm before flashing a new rom. You know that too ?
And do you know what bootloader is on the tablet right now ? Is it compatible with the new rom that you are trying to flash ?

We would work with you to help you get your tablet functional again, but you must try to understand what we are communicating to you. We do not know what you know and the exact situation your tablet is in. Therefore, all the questions.

Anything else you could add, Fuganater ?

Dave,

egrytz

Jun 18, 2011
Dave, Fuganater,

Thank you very much for the answers! As I dont know how to quote replies per items in the forum, so far (and not to get lost on it), I will answer all the questions (which are great from your part!) below, to see if I am doing something wrong (most likely):

- Mini USB stopped working after I connected it to a PC, and unfortunately, at sometime, an electrical peak occurred at the house of my guest (both the USB at the gtablet and the device the mini USB cable were originally connecting stopped connecting with any device through their respective mini USB ports). I still have the large USB in the tablet to test, but my PC is not recognizing the tablet, connected through this normal USB (the mini I assumed was burnt with the elecrical surge);

- I had Bottle of Smoke installed and working in the tablet, but decided to test the Illuminate version. When I put that in, I was stuck in the Illuminate main page, and nothing more happened. Then I tried NVFlash, but since my miniUSB does not respond, and the PC does not recognize the tablet (I was not able to active usb transfer from the tablet - I cannot access anything from the recovery loop right now, only CWM 3..8, and I tried to mount usb from there, but I think I didnt know how to do it, and even if I should do it).

- On my trials to fix the problem alone, I wiped all data from the device, and now it does not recognize any update.zip recorded in the main sdcard, even the unsuccessful Illuminate version I tried to install. However, CWM 3...8 is there, and the machine is rebooting constantly to it.

- Then I tried to install ROM 3588, with a recvery folder, from the microsd card, referring it both as sdcard2, and sdcard, and I received a message "Magical Number Mismach", or, simply the machine would boot into CWM, without giving me acccess to load the update.zip from the microsd/sdcard2, only from the sdcard (however, when I give an ok to the installation, it would not find any files, as there are no more update.zip files in the sdcard / main memory - I wiped all out, I think).

As of, now, I think I could only solve this out either installing from the microsd card (somehow make the gtablet access it), or by the normal (not mini) USB port. I am not being able to solve it either way. Should I open the machine and have the miniusb changed, and then NVFlash? Could the microsd also have been malfunctioning? (although when I try to load from there, I have the Magical Number Mismach, so it seems to me that somehow the tablet is "reacting" to the card).

Sorry for the long message and strange problem, but I like very much my tablet to let it go without fighting! ;)

All the best, and thanks!!

Eduardo

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
You did great explaining the events that lead to the current situation. That is important for trouble shooting.

First, let us point out to you a few basics that you are not familiar with:

As I dont know how to quote replies per items in the forum

Highlight the text then click on a small icon on the top right of the reply box.

Then I tried to install ROM 3588, with a recvery folder, from the microsd card, referring it both as sdcard2, and sdcard, and I received a message "Magical Number Mismach"

The BOS and Illuminate are on 1.2 bootloader. When you try to flash 3588, which is on 1.1 bootloader, that is exactlt what you got (magic value mismatch). Roebeet stated in the BOS post:
"If you want to backout to a 1.1-based ROM or mod, you MUST have a standard 1.2-based recovery (like 3991 or 4349). Since this ROM installs a 1.2-friendly clockworkmod, then you need to remove it - see the "Recovery Pack" section on how to backout to standard recovery. Again, running stock 4349 is your best best to get to a "gateway" 1.2 ROM before you jump back to a 1.1 ROM/mod."

So, at this point, let us try the followings:

. Use a PC and copy rom 4349's update.zip file and recovery folder on a sd card. The command file in the recovery folder must point to SDCARD2. The command file must have no file extension. Power off the tablet, insert the card into the tablet then boot into recovery. Hopefully, the tablet will successfully install it.
. Try the mount usb option in CWM to see if it work. Connect it straight from the mini usb port to pc port with the same usb cable or another one if you can find. Just wanted to double check the connection. The large usb port is for external usb drive. I don't know if it would work as a communication port to pc.
. PM to linuxboxsolutions at slatedroid or post in his thread to see if you can receive further help from him or from others who may have experienced the same problem installing illuminate rom.

Let us hope for the best,

Dave

Last edited:

egrytz

Jun 18, 2011
Dave,

That was awsome help, thank you very much. Will try it this night and hope all is solved! Will let you know how it went. Best, and thanks once more for the help,

Eduardo

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Ya make sure what bootloader you are on. I have yet to upgrade to 1.2. There is now a BOS for 1.1 and it is awesome. Figure out if you want to upgrade or not. Personally I have see no reason to.