not quite understanding why Amazon is running an app store?

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Do you think there will be something they off vs the Android Market ? I check it out and of course downloaded the new Angrey bird free app but .. nothing else caught my eye.. am I missing something here ????

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
One free paid app per day?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Amazon likes to make money.

In the current field of revenue generators the App Stores/Android Markets are a no-brainer. All you need is a platform which Amazon clearly has. After the initial set-up the overhead is minimum and in this day and age every 12 year old with a laptop wants to write an App that becomes the next Twitter/Angry Birds. Add to that the number of apps already available that they can stock their virtual shelves with.....

As my dear old Dad likes to say..."It's a profit game? You don't say..."

Backnblack

Jan 18, 2010
Plus they will be able to sell apps in countries that Google does not.

It's all about the $$$$

rfronz1

Mar 16, 2011
i tried to download and install the amazon market app on my rooted NC but after it downloaded i got a message that i could not install the downloaded .apk file.. i have my NC set to allow non-market apps ( this is checked marked under the NookColor tools). am i doing something wrong?
thanks Rob

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Amazon is also doing this to aid those that cannot access the standard Google market due to licensing agreements. For everyone person here that has applied one another of the various "full market fix" or hacks, there are probably 2-3 users that haven't and are still either sideloading or not doing anything at all. With Amazon market you can now sideload the one app and then use their market which should dramatically improve life for a lot of tablet users.

Another bonus, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a little bit of good old competition, either for price or customer service. When Android Market is the only game in town they can make policy changes like 15 minute returns and there is nothing we can do about it. Now that there is an option, perhaps we may see some changes there.

just my 2 cents

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
The reasons stated above:
1) Free Paid App of the Day
2) Not all devices have Google Market
3) Not all countries can buy from Google Market
4) Some people want to buy from Amazon
5) Some others I'm not repeating

Reasons not listed above (unless I missed them):
6) Amazon will discount products, therefore being cheaper than Google Market
7) Amazon's market has features that Google's does not
8) Amazon has some exclusive titles that are not on Google Market (thereby getting new customers in the door, like for the free Angry Birds RIO)
9) Even if they only get 10% of the revenue that Google gets, that's probably still a LOT of money

That's my $0.02 worth...

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Lets also not forget Amazon is working their own tablet so they are just paving the way. Also look at Amazon's portfolio books music video - this is why I am betting Barnes n noble might be more open with the nook color pretty soon

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I like the move an personally am looking forward to a day when you can buy an app from any market and not just the one you are forced to use ala iTunes. B&N is trying to introduce their own version as well as about every other company out there. They all think that by restricting us to only their market then they will make more money. It is like being told you can only shop at Wal-Mart.

I guess we are still in the pioneering days of e-tailing and Apple showed the world how to make a successful digital market that is locked down and everybody has been trying to figure out how to do the same ever since. It started with music and now it is "Apps". Fortunately not everybody has been able to put the many factors needed in place to be self contained like Apple.

Personally I don't think it is good for the consumer to be locked into one way and that eventually we need a free and open market where you can buy any digital software or media from any e-tailer. The market can tolerate one or two Apples where you are locked to a specific company but an entire market like that will crush itself in fragmentation.

I guess I'm feeling opinionated today :D