Novel R7T40WWF1, low on memory at 1.82GB

trdunsworth

Jun 20, 2012
Good morning all, I'm posting here to see if someone knows something extra to assist me along the food chain. I received a 7" White Novel (Model R7T40WWHF1 and build PDC1_20120323_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP) for Father's Day. It is supposed to come as a 4GB internal and I've added a 32GB SD card to store my ebooks, etc. (Not the first one I've owned, so I know to keep as much off it as I can.) However, I cannot get any external applications to install. I have a perpetual Low on Memory warning with the device. (3 Factory resets and it still persists.) When I check, I have 1.82 GB free in the memory, and no application, regardless of source will install.

I've called and emailed Pandigital customer service 3 times and the final answer I received is that they have had problems with a batch that went to Wal-Mart because Wal-Mart was tampering with the devices after they took stock and before they were sold to the public.

Anyone else feel that's not adding up? Also, anyone find a work around for the memory so they can get apps installed?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

trdunsworth

Jun 20, 2012
Well, I did some scouting around the device and noticed when you check running processes, there's only 19 to 20 Mb of space free there and I have a feeling that's where the "available memory" for applications lives.

Anyone else able to confirm this?

asap

Aug 3, 2012
Hi, did you come with a solution to this item? I just got a Pandigital same firmware version from Walmart and I am having the same problem.

trdunsworth

Jun 20, 2012
Hi, did you come with a solution to this item? I just got a Pandigital same firmware version from Walmart and I am having the same problem.

Sadly, no, I have not come up with a solution yet. I have read on another board that you can open the back and change out the MicroSD card which should give you more memory and allow you more room for apps. I am going to try that here soon and see what happens. Will post the results.

Neicyyg

Aug 5, 2012
My daughter just received one of these for her birthday. Same thing. No memory, can't load apps or app store. Factory reset...still nothing. The tablet was not listed on the Pandigital website to be able to do the update that is suppose to be out. Husband is calling in the morning to see if they can help. Very frustrating. She can get on the internet. We can check emails. But, no little games other than the two that were on the tablet. Can't load her books. No videos. It has the Barnes and Noble app, however, we have liked the Kindle app better on our other devices. Not enough memory to run them. Please keep us posted if any of you find a solution! And I will do the same.

trdunsworth

Jun 20, 2012
For your daughter's ebooks, get an SD card and load them on there. I have a 32GB SD card which carries all my books and it opens them fine. If your husband calls customer service I am predicting he is going to get one of two things, either you've got the European version and they don't support it in the US or that Wal-Mart or whoever sold it to you altered it and they can't do anything about it. In short, they will not do anything other than tell you to return it to where you bought it and get a new one which will face the same problems. Will keep you posted on my progress.

Neicyyg

Aug 5, 2012
Thanks for your comments. I will let you know what the company says when he calls. This should be fun.

Neicyyg

Aug 5, 2012
We will be returning the eReader/tablet. We were told the same thing and with little help. It is not able to be rooted, so that was the last attempt to keep the item.
I wish all of you great luck and better luck than we had. Glad I have an understanding 10 year old.

wnolf

Sep 23, 2012
I received as a gift the 9" reader and have the same problem. IT didn't not come from wal-mart. I find it funny that is was factory sealed yet the company says it was opened and tampered with. hmm... I like surfing the internet on my device and reading my ebooks. but I would like to have a couple of apps to play on the go or help with tasks I need to do.

Have either of you had any luck downloading any apps yet? One app I tried was just over 1 MB and still got the error message. yet one that was only 728 B downloaded fine.