Novo 7 Basic 4.0.3 Firmware & Nov 7 Paladin 4.0.3 Firmware Update

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
A little introduction, Ainol Novo 7 Paladin and Ainol Novo 7 Basic are some of the cheapest Android tablets currently in the market, manufactured by a China-based company Ainol. Both these Android tablet runs on the latest Android v4.0.1 Ice Cream Sandwich Operating System.

You probably stumble into this page looking for an update for your Ainol Novo 7 Basic or Ainol Novo 7 Paladin that still runs on Ice Cream Sandwich v4.0.1. From this page, you can download the update file from v4.0.1 to ICS 4.0.3.
Why update? Since the ICS v4.0.1 is new, it’s no surprise that it comes with some issues. Some known issues are fluctuating/choppy WiFi connection, HTML5 problem and some apps does not install or are not compatible.
The Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 seeks to solve some of the known issues mentioned above. Below are the download links to the said updates.
Note: Try these updates at your own risk!
For Ainol Novo 7 Basic:
Download Android ICS 4.0.3 update Basic here
For Ainol Novo 7 Paladin:
Download Android ICS 4.0.3 update Knight here
The download page are in Simple Chinese characters. If you do not understand Chinese, see the image below.
download-ics-4.0.3-update.jpg

Android v4.0.1 to v4.0.3 upgrade instructions:
1. Download the corresponding file above that matched to your unit.
2. Rename the file to update.zip
3. Copy the update.zip to the SD card of your Ainol Novo 7 Basic/Paladin tablet
4. Turn off or shutdown the device
5. Insert the card that contains the file update.zip
6. Turn on the tablet by pressing Volume + and Power button together.
7. Update process should begin
8. After the update process it will reboot, and your done!

Last edited:

s0ldier

Jan 20, 2012
Thanks a lot...
When i receive my Basic, I will update very soon it to Android 4.0.3 :D

I'm so sad because the Italian Custom need too much time to send my package :'(

UncleMike

Jan 27, 2012
You probably stumble into this page looking for an update for your Ainol Novo 7 Basic or Ainol Novo 7 Paladin that still runs on Ice Cream Sandwich v4.0.1. From this page, you can download the update file from v4.0.1 to ICS 4.0.3.
Why update? Since the ICS v4.0.1 is new, it’s no surprise that it comes with some issues. Some known issues are fluctuating/choppy WiFi connection, HTML5 problem and some apps does not install or are not compatible.
The Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 seeks to solve some of the known issues mentioned above. Below are the download links to the said updates.
Note: Try these updates at your own risk!
For Ainol Novo 7 Basic:
Download Android ICS 4.0.3 update Basic here
For Ainol Novo 7 Paladin:
Download Android ICS 4.0.3 update Knight here

Hi there.

Thanks for the advice/links to attempt an ICS update.

I'm trying to do it now.....in the midst of downloading the zip file........but it's showing as a 299MB file with over 9 hours left to download!

Pardon my stupidity (if that's what causes my questions... :), but,

1. Is this not an EXTREMELY slow download? (I'm doing it on a rather fast Lenovo laptop on a high speed cable hookup)
2. If it's 299MB when zipped, how monstrous will this thing be when UN-zipped, and how long will it take to install? (How long will it take just to transfer onto my SD card?)
3. I can understand why people say "do at your own risk".....but, are you aware of this file being used successfully by SEVERAL people? (OR, conversely, are you aware of it bricking anyone's Novo?)

Thanks for any feedback from you, or anyone else with experience using this file/update.

Mike

UncleMike

Jan 27, 2012
I've tried doing this update twice, following the instructions above (from McBub).....with no success.
Has anyone else been able to achieve this update?
Has anyone else seen any other download or instructions elsewhere on the web?

I'm getting a little frustrated.
Thanks for any "updates"!

Michael

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
Hi

I just change the download link,please try to download again? are you NOvo 7 paladin or Novo 7 Basic?

UncleMike

Jan 27, 2012
When you say you "just" changed the download link.......WHEN did you do it? When I click on your "Download Android ICS 4.0.3 update Knight here".... I still get directed to the page: update_knight_4.0.3.zip, same as before, where I got the file that doesn't work. (Whose website is that, by the way? It doesn't look like an Ainol official page. Does the manufacturer not have a page with the update on it?)

Have YOU performed this update on a Novo Paladin? Or, do you know of anyone else who has?
It does nothing on mine.

Thanks for your continued assistance.
Michael

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
hi friend, the download link already changed, it is update_knight_4.0.3.zip, this is a site which allow you to upload files to internet ,like uploading.com or other site if you heared those.
and the download speed shouldn't be so slow. because i try it here,and the speed is about 200k/s. how about yours? we already update the novo 7 basic, but haven't got a chance to update this paladin version,we will try it later, and post a video for you guys to check. i also check on google. there are some guys already updating successfully.

UncleMike

Jan 27, 2012
Thanks very much for getting back to me!

hi friend, the download link already changed, it is update_knight_4.0.3.zip, this is a site which allow you to upload files to internet ,like uploading.com or other site if you heared those. .

Yes.....I found the site OK......and I was able to download the file........it just didn't do anything when I copied and tired to load it into the Paladin. When I rebooted my tablet, with the update.zip file on my SD card, the Paladin DID go into "update" mode......but when it finished and booted into "normal" running mode, I checked the OS version in Settings and still showed Android 4.0.1.

and the download speed shouldn't be so slow. because i try it here,and the speed is about 200k/s. how about yours?
I quit all other operations and was able to get a faster download (finished in about 20 minutes....not sure of the speed.....and DID retrieve the entire file OK.)

we already update the novo 7 basic, but haven't got a chance to update this paladin version,we will try it later, and post a video for you guys to check. i also check on google. there are some guys already updating successfully.
Can you please send me the link(s) to forums (or wherever) where you saw people say they were able to update a Paladin to 4.0.3? I would like to contact them directly and ask them how they did it and if they had problems and/or have any tips.

Thanks again,
Michael

zygorg72

Feb 21, 2012
Hi UncleMike

I might be able to help here. I experienced the same problem as you. Then i copied the update.zip file to an external micro SD card instead. After putting this external card into the tablet and following the installation procedure, the update worked just fine. I'm currently running 4.0.3 on my Paladin. Observe however, that all data and configuration on the unit will be wiped in the process.

tandyuk

Feb 24, 2012
Hi everyone,
Having read some of the responses here I thought it was worth me registering to tell you that I have successfully updated a Novo 7 Paladin to 4.0.3 using the OP's instructions.
The download site was incredibly slow (from the UK at least), but I managed to find another copy of the upload elsewhere.
This post contains the link: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] Novo Paladin original ROM needed

Only things I will point out..

The OP does mean the external microSD card, I used a blank 2gb card with just the update.zip on it.

The update went without a problem, it took perhaps 5 minutes to do the firmware, but took an absolute eternity to boot afterwards, maybe 15 mins.
And once updated it was defaulted to chinese!

For those of us who dont speak chinese, here is how to change the language back:

First of all there will be some kind of dialog, with one option which you must click. I have NO idea what it was, but i assume some kind of licence agreement.
Next click the settings icon (bottom left of the default screen).
Next scroll downthe left hand menu until you see an option with an "A" icon next to it.
Click the top option in the list that comes up, From there you should be able to see English (United Kingdom).

Subsequent boots take about 45 seconds.
Hope this helps :)

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
You really did a great job! Thanks!
Hi everyone,
Having read some of the responses here I thought it was worth me registering to tell you that I have successfully updated a Novo 7 Paladin to 4.0.3 using the OP's instructions.
The download site was incredibly slow (from the UK at least), but I managed to find another copy of the upload elsewhere.
This post contains the link: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] Novo Paladin original ROM needed

The OP does mean the external microSD card, I used a blank 2gb card with just the update.zip on it.

The update went without a problem, it took perhaps 5 minutes to do the firmware, but took an absolute eternity to boot afterwards, maybe 15 mins.

For those of us who dont speak chinese, here is how to change the language back:

First of all there will be some kind of dialog, with one option which you must click. I have NO idea what it was, but i assume some kind of licence agreement.
Next scroll downthe left hand menu until you see an option with an "A" icon next to it.
Click the top option in the list that comes up, From there you should be able to see English (United Kingdom).

shon900

Feb 25, 2012
hi...i have the same problem,i was put the folder on the sd card ,and it wasnt able to update it..do u sujest to copy it on sd card which is empty and then it will work? correct me ..and other qustion -2} what is the diffrent with 4.0.3 version ?

and last thing 3} i want to share something hapen to my tablet which i have 1 week - i download allot of apps ..and suddenly the tablet was restart himself every 2 minuts..i did reset and it work..someone know what is this problem? virus or something?

THANK U ALL

superg

Mar 1, 2012
Hi everyone,

Aniol released an official 4.0.3 firmware upgrade on 2/28/12. It is available from their site - you'll have to use google translate to help you navigate the Chinese only site.

Here's the URL:
ÎÄÕÂÄÚÈÝ - ÐÂÎÅÖÐÐÄ - °¬Åµµç×Ó

Note that Google translate Paladin into Knight. Once you download the .zip file, extract the update.zip and place it on a micro SD card. I'm told that the contents will be wiped out.
Then power down your device, start it back up holding the + on the volume, and let the update proceed.

Please note that the subsequent first boot seems to take forever (over a couple of minutes), and then you have a brand new OS, and your device will revert back to Chinese.

Good luck!

Hi everyone,