Novo 7 Basic 4.0.3 Firmware & Nov 7 Paladin 4.0.3 Firmware Update

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
Thanks for the Post! any questions about upgrade,please post here, we will try our best to slove the problems.

Hi everyone,

Aniol released an official 4.0.3 firmware upgrade on 2/28/12. It is available from their site - you'll have to use google translate to help you navigate the Chinese only site.

Here's the URL:
ÎÄÕÂÄÚÈÝ - ÐÂÎÅÖÐÐÄ - °¬Åµµç×Ó

Note that Google translate Paladin into Knight. Once you download the .zip file, extract the update.zip and place it on a micro SD card. I'm told that the contents will be wiped out.
Then power down your device, start it back up holding the + on the volume, and let the update proceed.

Please note that the subsequent first boot seems to take forever (over a couple of minutes), and then you have a brand new OS, and your device will revert back to Chinese.

Good luck!

Sungod1

Mar 8, 2012
Hey we just updated our paladin to v4.0.3 and I just though I would let you know that the first few times we did it it did not work because we renamed the file update.zip and the type of file is all ready a zip file so there is no reason to put .zip at the end of it. If you are putting a .zip at the end and its not working remove that and you sould have no problem updating!

TurningJohn

Mar 15, 2012
Thanks to sblake5, this gives me some confidence, I'm a silver surfer they tell me, 65 going on 21. I hope this is less scary than updating the BIOS on my PC!!!

Last edited:

PaulaD

Mar 23, 2012
I went through the updating and when I finally got to my 'desktop' screen, the tablet will not unlock. It also will not shut down. The capacitive screen doesn't function at all. As it is, this tablet is no longer usable. Now what? Hopefully, someone can help. I've reset many times but nothing seems to be working. I have the Novo7 Paladin and when the update finished the screen showed the Basic. I took the update download from the Ainol English site. (I obviously downloaded the wrong update)

I'm downloading the update file once again to make sure it is a good download then will try again.

OK.....here's where I screwed up...................went to the Ainol site and downloaded the update for the BASIC. Grrrrrrrrrr. (I have the Paladin) Then, after dinking around I found the update for the Paladin on another page. Problem is, since I can't turn off the tablet I can't get the correct update loaded on. I get the 'page' that is the Android system recovery utility and asks me to reboot system now. then at the bottom is says: file SDCARD:update.zip not found. I'd reboot if I could. I have tried these things on the SD card:

renaming the file to update.zip and went through update process
renaming the file to update.zip then extracting the file and went through update process
left the file name as update and went through update process
left the file name as update then extracting the file and went through update process

nothing seems to work. Right now I have a $100 paperweight.

suggestions anyone?

this info might help:
this pops up when trying to install update to Paladin.
file SDCARD:update.zip found

-->automatically install from sdcard in 5 seconds!
-->press any key to abort

->-install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to read footer from /sdcard/update.zip (Is a directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.
Auto SDCARD Update Fail!!!

<sigh>

Last edited:

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
Why don't you use the firmware i offered? download link is update_knight_4.0.3.zip
i have flashed a lot of paladin with this firmware, all is good.

I went through the updating and when I finally got to my 'desktop' screen, the tablet will not unlock. It also will not shut down. The capacitive screen doesn't function at all. As it is, this tablet is no longer usable. Now what? Hopefully, someone can help. I've reset many times but nothing seems to be working. I have the Novo7 Paladin and when the update finished the screen showed the Basic. I took the update download from the Ainol English site. (I obviously downloaded the wrong update)

I'm downloading the update file once again to make sure it is a good download then will try again.

OK.....here's where I screwed up...................went to the Ainol site and downloaded the update for the BASIC. Grrrrrrrrrr. (I have the Paladin) Then, after dinking around I found the update for the Paladin on another page. Problem is, since I can't turn off the tablet I can't get the correct update loaded on. I get the 'page' that is the Android system recovery utility and asks me to reboot system now. then at the bottom is says: file SDCARD:update.zip not found. I'd reboot if I could. I have tried these things on the SD card:

renaming the file to update.zip and went through update process
renaming the file to update.zip then extracting the file and went through update process
left the file name as update and went through update process
left the file name as update then extracting the file and went through update process

nothing seems to work. Right now I have a $100 paperweight.

suggestions anyone?

this info might help:
this pops up when trying to install update to Paladin.
file SDCARD:update.zip found

-->automatically install from sdcard in 5 seconds!
-->press any key to abort

->-install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to read footer from /sdcard/update.zip (Is a directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.
Auto SDCARD Update Fail!!!

<sigh>

PaulaD

Mar 23, 2012
McBub, I did use that site at first. But when the update would not work, I went to the official site for the update. I actually tried the one you gave us several times and nothing worked.

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
Have you checked the update method carefully:
1. Download the corresponding file above that matched to your unit.
2. Rename the file to update.zip
3. Copy the update.zip to the SD card of your Ainol Novo 7 Basic/Paladin tablet
4. Turn off or shutdown the device
5. Insert the card that contains the file update.zip
6. Turn on the tablet by pressing Volume + and Power button together.
7. Update process should begin
8. After the update process it will reboot, and your done!

some guy get mistake in rename the firmware and on step 6,it is press VOLUM + ( on the side of the tablet) and the power button, and you will see a robot with cube on the screen. please check .

McBub, I did use that site at first. But when the update would not work, I went to the official site for the update. I actually tried the one you gave us several times and nothing worked.

PaulaD

Mar 23, 2012
McBub, at this point what I did or did not do is irrelevant....doesn't matter........ (and yes I followed directions). Please don't take this as being angry with your posts. I'm not...I'm just frustrated. The fact that I'm in the situation I'm in now is all I'm interested in at this point. I have the update for the wrong model (Basic instead of Paladin) and I want to try to get the tablet back into functioning properly. I admit, I screwed up and I'm trying to fix it.

After messing up my tablet I have tried using both updates...the one from the Ainol site and the one from the site you shared with us. I get exactly the same response from them, both. That response is the one I shared a few posts back. I'm going to let the tablet run the battery all the way down to see what happens. As it is right now, I have no screen function nor will it shut down. Using reset isn't helping. I do use reset when I'm trying to install an update and I get the message about the SDcard fail.

Last edited:

PaulaD

Mar 23, 2012
I'M BACK IN BUSINESS!!!!!!! I re-downloaded the update for paladin from the Ainol website and reinstalled and it works now. No idea why I'm just thrilled that it does.I now have the 4.0.3 update and I'm fully functional again. So far, I'm loving how it is functioning. Just wanted to share that info with everyone. McBub, thanks for your time. I can play again!!!!!!!!!!!

McBub.com

Jan 14, 2012
Really glad to hear that! Enjoy your New tablet, any other questions feel free to contact us.

I'M BACK IN BUSINESS!!!!!!! I re-downloaded the update for paladin from the Ainol website and reinstalled and it works now. No idea why I'm just thrilled that it does.I now have the 4.0.3 update and I'm fully functional again. So far, I'm loving how it is functioning. Just wanted to share that info with everyone. McBub, thanks for your time. I can play again!!!!!!!!!!!

TurningJohn

Mar 15, 2012
Hi PaulaD I must first apologise for my first thoughts of "Why not just Reset the tablet by pushing something in the reset hole, that will stop it" Wrong!! After having a similar experience with the 115 download site and the Ainol English version I have managed to get to the same point as you were. ie. My machine won't switch off and resetting just starts another loop with or without the TF card in. I'm glad that you have solved your problem though. Have you any idea of how you got to the Paladin download screen from the Ainol website?
Thanks John.