NV Flash and Clockwork

kenkolen

Oct 19, 2011
Can I install both of these programs on my gtab? It seems they are both activated in a similar method, holding power and vol up.

What are the purposes of these programs?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
NVFlash and Clockwork are not the same types of applications. NVFlash is a tool that basically reformats your tablet and then installs a clean new ROM image on your device while creating all new partitions. Clockwork is an app that loads after the bootloader and allows you to manage both backups and different ROM images. This is an overly simplistic explanation but should suffice.

So, use NVFlash to fully "reset" your tablet to an initial state. Once that is done you can then either use the stock recovery mode app or replace it with Clockwork to manage loading new ROMs, or backing up your tablet.

Hope that helps!

kenkolen

Oct 19, 2011
I will keep reading your reply until it sinks in. LOL

I have Cloockwork on my gtab and I have installed an updated mod.

Can I install NVFlash now and it will still be able to insall a new clean ROM?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
If you install NVFlash you will completely erase everything on your tablet, including Clockwork.

NVFlash is used ONLY to completely reformat the device.

kenkolen

Oct 19, 2011
So I really don't need nvflash to install install honeycomb for example?

I can use the clockwork method.

Hopefully the last question. before I update to honeycomb, and I was going to use the flashback 9 Rom 1.2 Alpha 10. Do I need to restore using clockwork? I currently have Tap UI version 1.1-3389?

Thanks again for your time.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Before you do anything you really need to take a bit of time to reread the threads on what you want to do. Based on your description of what you are going to do above, that would have bricked your device pretty hard.

First, the Flashback ROM is already Honeycomb, so installing that is upgrading the tab to Honeycomb.
Second, you currently have a 1.1 ROM installed (1.1-3389). Flashing directly to a 1.2 ROM will brick the tablet.
Third, again NV Flash is only to be used to completely and totally reformat all your partitions and reset your tablet entirely.
Fourth, Clockwork is used to manage installing new ROM images on a tablet, but you have to be sure the ROM you are going to install is appropriate for the tablet you are working with.

Please read through everything on this link carefully: [ROM - 1.2] Flashback - Honeycomb [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com
It contains the links and downloads for everything you will need to get the latest and most stable Honeycomb ROM on your tablet from where you are now. If you carefully follow all the steps and don't skip parts of the processing I promise it will all work smoothly and easily and in about an hour you will not believe how great your tablet works

kenkolen

Oct 19, 2011
I am reading, many many thanks.

I did understand that the flashback ROM already is Honeycomb. I guess I wasn't clear.

Part of my frustration is the fact that I had so much trouble tring to install nv flash. I needed to install the usb drivers on my computer but when I updated the driver for the gtablet in device manager I received an effor message "windows found driver software but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

So then I went off trying to find Android SDK package, which I understand has the usb drivers. When trying to install the SDK package I had to install all sorts of Java software which was another mission that I still haven't completed.

What a mission! There has to be an easier way. LOL

So I want to install NV Flash so I can update from a 1.1 rom to a 1.2 as per the instructions from Flashback.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
ok. if you follow along with the links in the slatedroid page you will find the necessary files for SDK to properly work for the gtab.