NVIDIA CEO Says that Good Tablets are Better than Cheap PCs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
nvidia-ceo-Jen-Hsun-Huang.jpeg

Recently, NVIDIA CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang, made the statement that a good tablet is better than a cheap PC. He was speaking during a recent earnings call and addressing questions regarding the direction of NVIDIA. Of course, with the world PC sales stagnating, NVIDIA was wise to push head-long into the mobile landscape, and apparently they are doing quite well because of it. He made the statement when specifically asked about the Nexus 7 and the new Microsoft Surface RT tablets. Here's a quote,

Questioned about the two Tegra 3-powered devices, Huang showed confidence in the potential of tablets, saying that the Surface represents a “new breed of tablets meant to get for getting work done”. He went on to claim that “[tablets are] getting more and more powerful, and they’re much better than a cheap PC.”

So, what do you guys think? Is a good tablet now a better investment than a cheap PC? How much more can the average user do on a PC than they could do on a tablet?

Source: AndroidAuthority

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I agree with that for what most people use a PC for these days (web browsing). As long as you don't plan on cheap upgrades to keep your device alive (cheap PCs are easily upgradeable and tablets are non-upgradeable) and aren't trying to run an office on the thing (high productivity) then tablet wins for overall ease of use and function. Now with Microsoft in the game we are on the brink of tablets that will also be office caliber machines, though you will not be able to compare them in cost to a "cheap" PC.

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
I agree with that for what most people use a PC for these days (web browsing). As long as you don't plan on cheap upgrades to keep your device alive (cheap PCs are easily upgradeable and tablets are non-upgradeable) and aren't trying to run an office on the thing (high productivity) then tablet wins for overall ease of use and function. Now with Microsoft in the game we are on the brink of tablets that will also be office caliber machines, though you will not be able to compare them in cost to a "cheap" PC.

Gonna disagree here... the only real challenge I think is going to be in connectivity to devices... printers/scanners, etc. And presuming '8' is up to the task of talking to everything (thru wifi, most likely) it should be far less painful than DOS-2-Win3.0...
:D

tazz3

Feb 23, 2012
I agree with him.my 300 tf is a lot faster then my frist desktop.tablets are the future..

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
My bro and i build a pair of kickass gaming PC a few years ago...but that's all they get used for nowadays.
I'm on a tablet or my phone for everyday stuff now.

Kingsman

Oct 31, 2011
I had been an Android tablet user since March of 2011, and have converted almost exclusively to using an Android tablet since March of 2012. Most of the software on my tablet is extremely robust, and equal, or nearly equal to that on the average pc. Further I have access to wireless printers in about half the places I frequent. Besides the 40 Gigs I have on board, I can plug in an external hard drive and have a half terabyte at a moment's notice. I can also plug in a CD player, and add an amazing sound system just by plugging it in.Talk about weight and size, my tablet weighs just a pound and a half, sits on my keyboard stand and allows me immediate access to more than10,000 songs at any time. How's that for a huge repertoire for a musician? Bet you can't do that with a laptop-maybe a netbook or mac notebook, anything else than a tablet would be heavy enough to break the stand. I do all my writing, study, lesson preparation for teaching classes, and almost all my business with my tablet as well. I dearly love my touch screen, and my T-Swipe Pro keyboard. With it I am able to write nearly 100 words a minute, steadily improving by the moment.

Are there some problems? Unfortunately yes. Graphics software isn't up to the quality of the high end pc applications yet. Neither is some of the music compositional software. Too,a lot of scanners don't scan well with it, and I haven't found any DVD drivers to allow me to record CDs & DVDs with. Other than these things my tablet is extremely light, small, the perfect work and play tool, and never leaves my side. I don't know what I ever did without it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't think connectivity is the limiting factor for tablets, that will be overcome fairly quickly. The fact is there are power and size requirements for tablets which will always make an equivalent cost PC more powerful. Battery isn't a concern and neither is size. That doesn't make PCs better than tablets just always cheaper dollar for function. If budget is truly a concern $200 gets a family a much more powerful long term capable, upgradeable device than a tablet. Of course that doesn't make it necessarily any better for browsing the web :)

Besides there is more profit in tablets than budget PCs what else would you expect a smart CEO to say ;)

Nibiru2012

Oct 6, 2012
I don't believe this CEO lied, he job is to market his products... and to ensure profits for investors.

I am able to state without reservation that my TF700T is more responsive and quicker. In addition, the browser is faster than most notebook computers I've used and/or repaired.

I am very happy I took the plunge! I know Windows 7 quite well, I moderate on one web forum and the other closed about a year ago. I'm also a mod on a Windows 8 forum too.

~Nibs

Kingsman

Oct 31, 2011
When I look at my Upgraded Zenithink C91, I not only have wifi, but mifi, USB, OTG USB, RJ-45, and HDMI. I have no difficulty with connectivity with the exception that some software still doesn't have drivers that support the hardware.

I am able to do almost anything a PC can do with the exception of making DVDs, or doing high end graphics editing(Though I think this is right around the corner)., wait to see what comes out of the developer's mind tomorrow.

As far as bang for the buck, I have a great office suite that well rivals MS Works. I'd like to see any PC that has anything like T-Swipe Pro, or can match the portability or weight of a tablet.

In fact, the only things that could induce me to abandon my tablet are if the battery fails(Which is a distinct possibility), or a greatly improved model comes along (Which is also a distinct possibility).

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
This is silly when you think about it, is there really anyone that doesn't have a computer and is faced with the traumatic decision to choose between the two? A tablet is nowhere near replacing a Windows, Linux or Mac computer, they simply are not to the point they can offer a complete solution for most needs, and I dont think there is a tablet yet marketed that will make that claim. Sure, Google would like you to believe the thin client's time has come and there are platforms available now that deliver on this promise but I think local control of data is still a neccessity. The cloud, like a real cloud, is potentially just vapor and have yet to prove they are absolutely reliable and permanent. When it comes down to it, I'm not truly comfortable until I have the latest chapter I've written printed twice and possibly cast in stone.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1