Odd, a Windows 8 Pro tablet on an Android forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
You have to admit, a device with an Atom processor, 2 gigs of ram, 64 gig ssd, Windows 8 Pro and Office Home and Student 2013 pre installed (full version) for $399 may just shake the tablet world up a bit. I pre-ordered one and should get it Thursday the 27th. 8 plus hour battery life as well.... almost seems too good to be true but I won't have to wait long to find out.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
It should bridge the gap between work and play for windows users.
Doesn't do anything for me unless I could install a full version of Linux over it.
But should be useful for some, My son starts college soon, and might need a windows tablet, won't be that RT thing.
This has full windows right?

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hi Tom. I'm assuming you're referring to Samsung's Ativ 500t with an Atom Z2760 chip (formerly Cloverleaf?) under the hood. Am I right? When it was first announced, the price tag was expected to be US$800.00. So, I'm a little confused.
Ed

edap

Dec 12, 2012
It should bridge the gap between work and play for windows users.
Doesn't do anything for me unless I could install a full version of Linux over it.
But should be useful for some, My son starts college soon, and might need a windows tablet, won't be that RT thing.
This has full windows right?

This has 'proper' windows, I'm told. And as for the OS : It is Windows 8, not Windows RT. Are you still with me?
On a more serious level, the real story here is Intel. The Ativ 500t is the first device to run on Intel's new Atom chips (formerly Clovertrail). It's out to prove it can make power-efficient and lightweight gadgets that perform as well as it's ARM-powered counterparts. This is just the tip of the sword. Myself, Atom will always be synonymous with netbooks-horror-slow. I'm waiting for the true Intel Core chips.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
This has full windows, Windows 8 Pro in fact, and you could easily install Linux if you wanted, which would be very cool.

This isn't the Samsung Ativ500, which has an 11.6" screen and a Wacom digitizer layer, but otherwise same specs. 8.1" screen, weighs 1.1 lbs. One of the coolest things is both these devices get better than 8 hours on a charge.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Tell me more, Tom. Does it ship with a Bluetooth keyboard dock? And, stylus? What's happened to the Acer Iconia W3? It was expected to retail for $380.00 and only carry 32 GB of onboard memory.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Tell me more, Tom. Does it ship with a Bluetooth keyboard dock? And, stylus? What's happened to the Acer Iconia W3? It was expected to retail for $380.00 and only carry 32 GB of onboard memory.

You probably already have the answers but just in case a Bluetooth keyboard dock is available, now, for $79. It does not have a digitizer layer but you can always use a capacitive stylus, although the effectiveness of that solution depends on what you are trying to use a stylus for. The 32gig version retals for app. $380 and is selling for $350 most placers. The 64gig retails $429.99 and I paid $399.99 from Office Depot. There is also a Case and HDMI to VGA cable available at launch.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I just got confirmation the 64gig Acer will be delivered today, very cool, so I will know a lot more about this device by this evening.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
You have to admit, a device with an Atom processor, 2 gigs of ram, 64 gig ssd, Windows 8 Pro and Office Home and Student 2013 pre installed (full version) for $399 may just shake the tablet world up a bit. I pre-ordered one and should get it Thursday the 27th. 8 plus hour battery life as well.... almost seems too good to be true but I won't have to wait long to find out.

Hi Tom.

I'm glad your thread was finally moved over to the appropriate forum. In the beginning, I wasn't exactly sure to which brand you were referring.

Cheers.
Ed

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Hi Tom.

I'm glad your thread was finally moved over to the appropriate forum. In the beginning, I wasn't exactly sure to which brand you were referring.

Cheers.
Ed

Ok, the fact that it's a windows tablet is one thing, but I sure wouldn't want to add to anyones confusion ;-)

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Got my new Acer, just charging it and going through the setup, which is just like setting up a new Windows PC, because that is exactly what it is. It will be interesting to see how this device will perform as an alternative to the 7 and 8 inch Android tablets or the iPad mini.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Ok, the fact that it's a windows tablet is one thing, but I sure wouldn't want to add to anyones confusion ;-)

Just as a matter of good housekeeping, shouldn't this thread be moved to the Off-Topic Area/Discussion Forum. Moreover, how was a forum based on a Windows tablet allowed to be created on a site whose URL reads 'androidtablets.net'. In the name of all Android purists, I object. Is anybody listening?

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Just as a matter of good housekeeping, shouldn't this thread be moved to the Off-Topic Area/Discussion Forum. Moreover, how was a forum based on a Windows tablet allowed to be created on a site whose URL reads 'androidtablets.net'. In the name of all Android purists, I object. Is anybody listening?

I guess not.